Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wedding halls in NY, NJ area

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 5:47 am
My dd hopes to get engaged soon. Her friends got her nervous that she has to book a hall now, even though she is not engaged because otherwise she won’t get one for 6 months. I told her I’ll call halls to find out how booked they are. The problem is, I don’t know of any. I don’t live in the area. I don’t want expensive, fancy, but nice and simple. I would have no idea how many people, so I don’t know how big. TIA so much!!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 6:34 am
NY NJ is a wide area. Do you want Lakewood, Brooklyn, other (Passaic, teaneck, Monsey, long island, Westchester, etc)? What are you trying to be near?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 6:46 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
NY NJ is a wide area. Do you want Lakewood, Brooklyn, other (Passaic, teaneck, Monsey, long island, Westchester, etc)? What are you trying to be near?

Any and all. That’s why I didn’t specify. I don’t live there. He’s from Long Island. I have family in Monsey, Brooklyn, NJ, and further.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 7:55 am
I got married in The Brightstone in Passaic. I'm from Long Island and my husband is from Monsey. I booked the hall three months before the wedding.

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 7:57 am
Maybe post in the Lakewood forum for a list of Takanna halls
I know Beos Faiga is the cheapest and super popular

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 8:05 am
I don’t know Brooklyn balls but Monsey halls are Atrium, Charna and valley Terrace with Atrium being the most expensive but not crazy and Valley Terrace the least.
Lakewood there’s Lake Terrace, Bais Faiga, Neimas Hachaim, Fountain Ballroom and a second one on the same grounds that I don’t know the name. I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting. You get the most for your money in Lakewood.
People who got engaged in the last week are getting married in Lakewood mid August right after 3 weeks so I don’t think 6 months is so accurate unless NY halls are different.

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 8:16 am
Is she dating someone?

amother
Blue

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 8:20 am
Lakewood has your best availability and wait time is much less than brooklyn or monsey.
I think booking a hall before the engagement is announced is considered ayon horah and not done in frum circles just as shopping for the unborn baby is also not done.

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 8:25 am
Most halls will pencil you in for a date, and then you will need to confirm it if someone else wants it. I did not make any calls until my daughters were engaged, and booked for 3 months later. Some seasons are more busy, like after the 3 weeks, and Elul (for people who don't want to wait until after yomtov.)

amother
Blush

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 8:42 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Lakewood has your best availability and wait time is much less than brooklyn or monsey.
I think booking a hall before the engagement is announced is considered ayon horah and not done in frum circles just as shopping for the unborn baby is also not done.

A lot of people book before they get engaged but only if they for sure know that they are. Not by chasidish but by litvish

amother
Topaz

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 2:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dd hopes to get engaged soon. Her friends got her nervous that she has to book a hall now, even though she is not engaged because otherwise she won’t get one for 6 months. I told her I’ll call halls to find out how booked they are. The problem is, I don’t know of any. I don’t live in the area. I don’t want expensive, fancy, but nice and simple. I would have no idea how many people, so I don’t know how big. TIA so much!!!

Is she your first getting married?
Have you and your husband spoke with his parents? Does he have married siblings - maybe that’s a good place to start

amother
Apple

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 5:21 pm
Got married in the Brightstone in Passaic and loved it!

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 6:25 pm
My understanding is that if you want a "desirable" date like a Sunday, or a secular holiday weekend, you have to book way in advance. If you're okay getting married on a regular weekday and you're flexible about dates, you'll find a place. Also, if you do wait, and you want a specific day, so she'll have to wait a few more months to get married. Why is it bad to wait a few months longer?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 6:38 pm
This is a hard time of year because if you plan on a 3 month engagement, you're looking at a post tisha b'av wedding which is crazy season
I would start calling.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
I don’t know Brooklyn balls but Monsey halls are Atrium, Charna and valley Terrace with Atrium being the most expensive but not crazy and Valley Terrace the least.
Lakewood there’s Lake Terrace, Bais Faiga, Neimas Hachaim, Fountain Ballroom and a second one on the same grounds that I don’t know the name. I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting. You get the most for your money in Lakewood.
People who got engaged in the last week are getting married in Lakewood mid August right after 3 weeks so I don’t think 6 months is so accurate unless NY halls are different.

We did a shidduch this week and were lucky to get late August in Lakewood.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 1:45 pm
There are many halls in the Boro Park area,
anyone know pricing for local halls?

Tiferes Rivka
Tiferes Mordechai (Belz)
Eminence
Kerem Menachem
Chynka
Viznitz
The Legacy
Golda

or any other that I did not mention
TIA

gumby

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:04 pm
Your daughter is correct. You need to call and pencil your name in a few halls. Most out of town people who come to make a cheaper in town wedding will do lakewood. However realize that it is quite far from Long Island and it might be an issue for the machatonim. Also thinking where your family might stay during that week can narrow down location. A hotel or with family in Brooklyn ? Then look into Williamsburg halls or Boro park

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:20 pm
if your looking to do it in Lakewood. Bais Faiga is the cheapest and you can probably find the most dates available there. its considered the least fancy in Lakewood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics