Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Tahini Banana Bread (Pareve)

Amarante

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 2:08 pm
This was a very interesting variant on banana bread and the combination of tahini plus four mashed bananas replaced a oil in the recipe - although I wouldn't go so far as to say this is a health food - it is still a dessert or nosh type of food.

Tahini Banana Bread

Excerpt From: Amy Zitelman with Andrew Schloss - The Tahini Table: Go Beyond Hummus with 100 Recipes for Every Meal.

SERVES 8

The top of this extravagant yet healthy sweet bread is striped with a sliced
banana and polka-dotted by white and black sesame seeds. It looks awesome
but tastes even better—nutty from the tahini, with a jolt of toasted sesame oil.

For the banana bread

Cooking spray, for greasing
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2⁄3 cup premium tahini paste
4 very ripe (lots of brown spots) bananas, peeled and mashed, plus 1 ripe (but not too ripe) banana, peeled and sliced
7 tablespoons mild vegetable oil, such as grapeseed
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds

For the glaze (optional)

3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons premium tahini paste
1 tablespoon hot water

To make the banana bread:

Turn the oven to 350ºF.

Grease a 9 × 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, line the bottom with parchment paper, and spray the parchment with cooking spray. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can dust the interior of the pan with flour after spraying it.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a whisk), beat the eggs and granulated sugar vigorously until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tahini, mashed bananas, vegetable oil, sesame oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.

Mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the flour mixture to the batter in two additions, mixing until just smooth after each. Don’t overdo it.

Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan, then sprinkle the top with the sesame
seeds. Shingle the sliced banana down the center; you may not need the whole banana.

Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Cool the bread in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool
completely.

To make the glaze:

If using, mix the confectioners’ sugar, tahini, and water in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the bread

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 3:53 pm
Amarante wrote:
This was a very interesting variant on banana bread and the combination of tahini plus four mashed bananas replaced a oil in the recipe - although I wouldn't go so far as to say this is a health food - it is still a dessert or nosh type of food.

Tahini Banana Bread

Excerpt From: Amy Zitelman with Andrew Schloss - The Tahini Table: Go Beyond Hummus with 100 Recipes for Every Meal.

SERVES 8

The top of this extravagant yet healthy sweet bread is striped with a sliced
banana and polka-dotted by white and black sesame seeds. It looks awesome
but tastes even better—nutty from the tahini, with a jolt of toasted sesame oil.

For the banana bread

Cooking spray, for greasing
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2⁄3 cup premium tahini paste
4 very ripe (lots of brown spots) bananas, peeled and mashed, plus 1 ripe (but not too ripe) banana, peeled and sliced
7 tablespoons mild vegetable oil, such as grapeseed
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds

For the glaze (optional)

3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons premium tahini paste
1 tablespoon hot water

To make the banana bread:

Turn the oven to 350ºF.

Grease a 9 × 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, line the bottom with parchment paper, and spray the parchment with cooking spray. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can dust the interior of the pan with flour after spraying it.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a whisk), beat the eggs and granulated sugar vigorously until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tahini, mashed bananas, vegetable oil, sesame oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.

Mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the flour mixture to the batter in two additions, mixing until just smooth after each. Don’t overdo it.

Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan, then sprinkle the top with the sesame
seeds. Shingle the sliced banana down the center; you may not need the whole banana.

Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Cool the bread in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool
completely.

To make the glaze:

If using, mix the confectioners’ sugar, tahini, and water in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the bread

Thank you Amarante! How did you know I was looking at my very ripe bananas this evening wondering what and how to turn them into something edible Smile

Amarante

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 3:56 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Thank you Amarante! How did you know I was looking at my very ripe bananas this evening wondering what and how to turn them into something edible Smile

I am impressed you have tahini paste as a staple pantry item.

You can freeze bananas if you plan to use them for baking. They turn mushy but are fine for baking.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 4:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am impressed you have tahini paste as a staple pantry item.

You can freeze bananas if you plan to use them for baking. They turn mushy but are fine for baking.

A vast majority of israeli households have tahini paste at home Smile as it's so simple to turn into tehina salad/dressing.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 4:26 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
A vast majority of israeli households have tahini paste at home Smile as it's so simple to turn into tehina salad/dressing.

I suspected as much given your name and assume that it is as ubiquitous as Heinz ketchup in the states in terms of being in the pantry of everyone Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
I suspected as much given your name and assume that it is as ubiquitous as Heinz ketchup in the states in terms of being in the pantry of everyone Smile

Funny you should Heinz Smile
I'm not a brand person in the supermarket except for a tiny number of items and among them is Heinz ketchup Smile
For Pesach I buy Osem ketchup because of hechsher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins