Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Heart health

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:23 pm
I was recently diagnosed with some heart problems. Can anyone recommend food that may be ok and which food to avoid or cut down on? Are there any nutrtional supplements that may be good?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:28 pm
Please don’t substitute this site for speaking with your cardiologist and a RDN who specializes in Cardiac care.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:31 pm
Your doctor should talk to you about a heart healthy diet.
What I can tell you is, that my father is a heart patient and he needs to stay away from any foods that are too high in cholesterol, fatty foods, too much sugar, too much carbs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:18 pm
The cardio doctor, who was very thorough with testing, didn't speak about diet that's why I asked here.

alef12

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:32 pm
It depends on the specific heart issues. Some people need to limit salt and red meat. For others, for example those with low blood pressure or POTS extra salt is needed. After I had open heart surgery my doctor told me to eat red meat every day to replenish my iron (I don't have high cholesterol)

You should ask your doctor because not all heart issues are the same and a diet that's helpful for some heart issues can been harmful for others.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:36 am
alef12 wrote:
It depends on the specific heart issues. Some people need to limit salt and red meat. For others, for example those with low blood pressure or POTS extra salt is needed. After I had open heart surgery my doctor told me to eat red meat every day to replenish my iron (I don't have high cholesterol)

You should ask your doctor because not all heart issues are the same and a diet that's helpful for some heart issues can been harmful for others.

Thank you for explaining. I have an appointment in a few weeks and will ask him then.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:54 am
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
Your doctor should talk to you about a heart healthy diet.
What I can tell you is, that my father is a heart patient and he needs to stay away from any foods that are too high in cholesterol, fatty foods, too much sugar, too much carbs.

My dad too
They have his total cholesterol down to under 150 (with meds) for years
With all that he needed triple bypass

Double check that the dr your speaking to has updated information. Drs don’t get too many hrs on nutrition and it’s counter- productive (for their pockets) to cure their patients.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:13 am
Low sodium. Check the packages, for example chicken soup mix has tons, so try to buy a low sodium one. Stay away from fatty foods, avoid using oils, butter, fatty cheeses. Prefer white cheeses, white meat. Cooked and baked vs fried.
But some are dependent on what condition you have. Some heart issues require limiting amounts of liquids that you ingest, like cardiomyopathy.
Go to a registered dietitian with your diagnosis, someone that specializes in cardiac conditions. Don't just pick up random information here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise