Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitel advice for dummies please

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 3:45 am
I have several simchas coming up and am thinking of getting a new sheitel. Being that I am fashion unconscious, I am hoping some of you can help me decide what to get.

I pretty much wear a sheitel only to simchas, so for the past decade or so, I've only had one sheitel. It has served me well both for simchas and for the very rare formal event during the week that required a sheitel. Before weddings, I would send it to the sheitel macher to have her wash and curl it, and by the time I needed it again, the curls were always gone. Since 99% of the time that I wear my sheitel it's to a simcha, should I just get a curly/wavy sheitel? This way it will hold up better from one simcha to the next. Any thoughts?

My other question is style wise--what are people wearing these days? I'm in my mid-40s and no fashionista, so I'm not looking for anything trendy, but in general, what should I tell the sheitel macher I want? Side bangs, front bangs, no bangs? Side part, middle part? Layered? I am completely clueless, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, any particular brands to request? Thanks a lot!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:52 am
I think you need a good sheitel macher, no one here can tell you what style will suit your face!
As for curly, you can get a wig that will hold a wave but not necessarily curly. Curly wigs need much more maintenance so I don't recommend them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 12:32 pm
Thanks!

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 1:22 pm
Agree about curly wigs
I think a honest sheital machet can help you find what style suits you best
What length and color do you wear
Would you wear straight? I would suggest staying away from lace

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:00 am
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Agree about curly wigs
I think a honest sheital machet can help you find what style suits you best
What length and color do you wear
Would you wear straight? I would suggest staying away from lace

Why don't you recommend lace? I was thinking of getting one.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:52 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Why don't you recommend lace? I was thinking of getting one.

It's much more maintenance and she sounds like she doesn't want to deal with that.

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:01 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
It's much more maintenance and she sounds like she doesn't want to deal with that.

I have lacetop wigs and they don’t require any maintenance other than fixing the lace when it gets stretched out after a year or two. Being that OP won’t wear the wig often, the lace will probably last a good few years.

Highly recommend a lacetop! It is SO much more comfortable and natural looking than a typical wig.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:49 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
I have lacetop wigs and they don’t require any maintenance other than fixing the lace when it gets stretched out after a year or two. Being that OP won’t wear the wig often, the lace will probably last a good few years.

Highly recommend a lacetop! It is SO much more comfortable and natural looking than a typical wig.

Is it also cooler in the summer?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels