Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Always been embarrassed to ask but…
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16 18  19  20  Next

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:39 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Maybe someone here can settle this dispute between myself and someone I know -

Do you need to say Modeh Ani when waking up from a nap?

I always thought 'yes', the other person always thought 'no'.

Answers anyone? Preferably with a source - thanks!

(And thanks again OP for starting this thread)

I think it would be similar to washing negel vasser, if 20-30 minutes or longer

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 1:39 am
Do you sit or stand when saying nishmas
In shacharis on shabbos morning.

Living Princess

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:01 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Do you sit or stand when saying nishmas
In shacharis on shabbos morning.

Sit

amother
Melon

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:05 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
My kids were given boxes of matza at school for Pesach. The boxes have brachot written on them with Hashem's name written as hey yud. How am I supposed to dispose of the empty boxes?

I would cut out the Brocha and put it in Shaimos. Rather be safe. And they shouldn't really do that the should just write the Brocha on this product is Hamotzi.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:10 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Maybe someone here can settle this dispute between myself and someone I know -

Do you need to say Modeh Ani when waking up from a nap?

I always thought 'yes', the other person always thought 'no'.

Answers anyone? Preferably with a source - thanks!

(And thanks again OP for starting this thread)

The minhag is only say it when you wake up in the morning - when you are waking up to start your day. You are thanking the Creator for returning your Neshama to you. Being that your Neshama is only "taken" at night you would only say Modeh Ani when you wake up in the morning. I can try to find a source but it's probably in the Kitzur.

At the same time, you can sing it all day if you want, it's not like a brocha levatala or anything like that.

myname1

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 2:55 am
TCFrenk wrote:
I think white rice and brown rice are the same thing (brown rice is milled for a shorter amount of time). I would be surprised to hear that they are different berochos!

Why would you be surprised? When wheat is not turned into flour, it's haadoma. When it's milled into flour and made into something, it's mezonos. Something more processed is often a defferent bracha.

In this case, I also learned white rice in mezonos and brown rice, if it's not cooked enough to stick together, is haadoma. Same for barley I believe- haadoma, and if cooked enough that it sticks together, mezonos.

But like someone else mentioned, often easier to make a bracha on something else for each of the brachos. Like make mezonos on a cracker and haadoma on a cucumber, and then eat your rice with peace of mind Smile

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:23 am
How do you know if something is hamotzi or mezonot? Things with yeast - the yeast is usually proofed with water so does that make ot hamotzi?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:59 am
Living Princess wrote:
Sit

Actually, I was taught to stand when saying nishmas

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:20 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
How do you know if something is hamotzi or mezonot? Things with yeast - the yeast is usually proofed with water so does that make ot hamotzi?

I'm not sure what the premise is for thinking proofing yeast would make it hamotzi, is that based on something you learned?

Cooked in a liquid like boiling or frying is mezonos.
If filled like a Danish, mezonos
If sweet, mezonos (this is where it gets tricky though as to how sweet... But cakes would be)
If crunchy like a cracker, mezonos

mamaleh

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:34 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm not sure what the premise is for thinking proofing yeast would make it hamotzi, is that based on something you learned?

If sweet, mezonos (this is where it gets tricky though as to how sweet... But cakes would be)

I believe the correct word here is enriched, not sweet. If the flour is mixed with a liquid other than water, it is mezonos. The question is (and I believe this is why she mentioned proofing the yeast in water) what happens when you use water & another liquid? That is a big shayla and will depend on many factors: the amount of each liquid, the final texture, taste and purpose, and whether you are ashkenaz or sefard. This is definitely an aylor situation as so much goes into each case. For example, their are many breads, rolls, pita, etc. on the market that are labeled mezonos because they are made with juice. Many rabbonim hold that ashkenazim should wash on them because they look, taste and are used as bread.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:42 am
Ah ok
Because we hold they are still hamotzi, it didn't even occur to me that she was asking about "mezonos" pizza dough made with apple juice, etc
I was thinking more like kokosh cake which is mezonos by virtue of being filled...

(And I used the word sweet because that is the exact lashon I was told)

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 7:22 am
I'm never sure what to say in benching when it comes to blessing one's family. In school or public settings we always said "v'es kol hamesubin kan" but I'm not sure that's appropriate at home with my family. Do I say Harachaman hu yevarech osi v'es ba'ali? What about my parents?

Miri1

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 10:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Its really not possible to summarize these halachos in a few sentences.
Determining which bracha to make is complicated and also can depend on how much you're eating amongst other things.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:47 am
Miri1 wrote:
Its really not possible to summarize these halachos in a few sentences.
Determining which bracha to make is complicated and also can depend on how much you're eating amongst other things.

True. I was giving a very very basic outline and people really do need to do more in depth learning. I was really just addressing what takes something away from the status of hamotzi to mezonos when not in a meal type setting
(As I later clarified, I still say hamotzi on "mezonos" rolls/pizza, etc since I eat those as meal items)

I was just trying to help the poster who was confused as to what would turn something from hamotzi to mezonos

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:53 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
I'm never sure what to say in benching when it comes to blessing one's family. In school or public settings we always said "v'es kol hamesubin kan" but I'm not sure that's appropriate at home with my family. Do I say Harachaman hu yevarech osi v'es ba'ali? What about my parents?

The main principle I learned is that you're making the harachaman for the host. So at your own home it would be "osi v'es baali", at your parents "Avi mori ba'al habayis...", and at friends just "ba'al habayis..." Where it gets trickier (imo) is public venues like a dinner or restaurant. At a Simcha I think you can say "ba'al(ei) hasimcha".

You can always add "v'es kul hamesubin kan" if there are others there too.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:53 am
Here's my question:
When being mafrish challah from a dough, do you remove the piece
A. Before making the bracha
B. After making the bracha
C. Hold on to the dough and separate while making the bracha

I do C as I don't remember what is the correct way. Can't Believe It embarrassed wondering

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:54 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
True. I was giving a very very basic outline and people really do need to do more in depth learning. I was really just addressing what takes something away from the status of hamotzi to mezonos when not in a meal type setting
(As I later clarified, I still say hamotzi on "mezonos" rolls/pizza, etc since I eat those as meal items)

I was just trying to help the poster who was confused as to what would turn something from hamotzi to mezonos

(I was mainly categorizing pas haba b'kisnin)

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:55 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Here's my question:
When being mafrish challah from a dough, do you remove the piece
A. Before making the bracha
B. After making the bracha
C. Hold on to the dough and separate while making the bracha

I do C as I don't remember what is the correct way. Can't Believe It embarrassed wondering

I ( believe I was taught to) do D: hold a portion that I will pull off during the Bracha (kind of like holding the piece of food or cup in your hand while making the Bracha), then pull it off the dough when I finish.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:56 am
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
The main principle I learned is that you're making the harachaman for the host. So at your own home it would be "osi v'es baali", at your parents "Avi mori ba'al habayis...", and at friends just "ba'al habayis..." Where it gets trickier (imo) is public venues like a dinner or restaurant. At a Simcha I think you can say "ba'al(ei) hasimcha".

You can always add "v'es kul hamesubin kan" if there are others there too.

So I actually do at my own home a harochamon for my parents without Baal babayis hazeh plus a harochamon for my husband, etc

Don't know if that's the popular opinion to do though

PeanutMama

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:56 am
Another one that I’m always confused at and why I never eat bread out lol.

At restaurants where you say hamotzi

What do you say at the harachaman hu yevarech es part?
Page 15 of 20   Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16 18  19  20  Next Recent Topics