Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Im really asking seriously...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:19 pm
I don’t believe in the too good for kids, special for me model. In fact, I have always saved the best for them-just as my parents did for me and my grandparents for my mom.

If I had it in the house, it was for everyone. There is a time and a place. My children have never taken without asking, can deal with being told that yes something is special and exciting and we are saving it for Shabbos/when Bubby comes….. They know that nobody is eating it without them. (And if they are not home, their portion will be saved for them).

Maybe it is easier because I have a small family and B”H easy-to-parent children. They also know that there are consequences to their actions. You take without permission, you already got your portion and don’t get when everyone else does.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I don’t believe in the too good for kids, special for me model. In fact, I have always saved the best for them-just as my parents did for me and my grandparents for my mom.

If I had it in the house, it was for everyone. There is a time and a place. My children have never taken without asking, can deal with being told that yes something is special and exciting and we are saving it for Shabbos/when Bubby comes….. They know that nobody is eating it without them. (And if they are not home, their portion will be saved for them).

Maybe it is easier because I have a small family and B”H easy-to-parent children. They also know that there are consequences to their actions. You take without permission, you already got your portion and don’t get when everyone else does.

I don’t think people are saving it for themselves. If my nosh cabinet was kid friendly access, I’d have a bunch of empty boxes and wrappers left in one day. My kids don’t necessarily ask if they know they won’t like the answer.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
I don’t buy anything I wouldn’t let my kids have.
Unless it’s birthday cake for a birthday party, I don’t see why they can’t have a treat when they occasionally ask for one.

She specifically said she is saving it for shabbos etc., That sounds perfectly fine.

Many kids would ask for treats all day if they see them. Very normal situation.

s1

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:34 pm
I know someone who hid cookies in the freezer in a foil pan labelled “meatballs”

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:35 pm
In a department store opaque bag in my closet.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:36 pm
Inside the washing machine believe it or not. Don’t turn on the machine by mistake!

Or inside my pots.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:51 pm
s1 wrote:
I know someone who hid cookies in the freezer in a foil pan labelled “meatballs”

Lol I've heard similar stories. That would work great unless and until they ever caught on. Makes a great story!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:58 pm
Under the dish towels. No one uses dish towels besides for me and no one ever thinks to check that shelf. We’re talking chocolate bars, not potato chips. Chips I just make sure to buy enough for everyone.

behappy2

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:19 pm
In my bedroom closet, in a bag behind the bedroom door. Once they know you keep nosh there that spot is over! 😊

rainbow dash

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:40 pm
What about buy a tampon box, empty it out and stash it in there.

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:08 pm
In my underwear drawer. I hope they’re not going through there!

All my underwear now smells like chocolate LOL

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:15 pm
I have a child who is incredibly impulsive and will eat all the snacks I buy for the week ( full time working mom here) in one sitting. So… here’s what I do - I have a cabinet that I keep locked , with a combination code. I have plenty of other snacks in the regular cabinet, available 24/7, but for the items that are for school snack, they are safe and secure Smile

dankbar

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:25 pm
You shouldnt be patrolling teens what to eat & that they need to ask permission. Teens should be able to access own food. You write you only give nosh for special occassions, that's why they seek it.

Does your teen have to ask you permission before eating a cookie?

It's selfish to hide treats only for yourself, and not give your kids. I hate when people say they eat special treats in front of their kids and they say only mommy can have because I'm the mommy. Horrible!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:29 pm
dankbar wrote:
You shouldnt be patrolling teens what to eat & that they need to ask permission. Teens should be able to access own food. You write you only give nosh for special occassions, that's why they seek it.

It's selfish to hide treats only for yourself, and not give your kids. I hate when people say they eat special treats in front of their kids and they say only mommy can have because I'm the mommy. Horrible!

I don't patrol what and when my kids eat. However, sometimes I buy things that are specifically for shabbos, for a specific kid who asked for something, or snacks that I buy only for school. If they're in a place where they can be easily spotted, it's almost certain that it'll be gone in no time and then when I want it and go looking for it, it won't be there anymore.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having regular snacks available for taking and certain things kept out of sight for specific times. That's not patrolling what they eat or selfish.

dankbar

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 11:06 pm
Ok. Thanks for clarifying. It seemed from your original post that you don't allow for regular snacks.

zoom

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 9:57 am
thanks everyone for your replies.
some great places!

amother
Clover

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 10:03 am
dankbar wrote:

There's nothing wrong with buying and storing treats that are saved for special occasions. That means no one eats it. Not the mother and not the teens.

Lovable

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 12:57 pm
Am I the only one cringing as I read this thread
So selfish
I dont care if you give your kids treats too, but hiding for yourself is selfish

Sesame

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 1:15 pm
I grew up with a special basket in a drawer or cupboard. Whatever was in the basket was off limits without permission, it was mostly something that would be offered as a huge treat but generally was my mothers treats for herself. There was another huge basket besides it with all different snacks, nosh and treats which we could have after asking. I never grew up thinking it was unfair because we had our own basket. None of us ever stole from it or resented it. Yes, occasionally we’d ask for a treat from the special basket, but my mother never banned it completely, she would give permission sometimes - so it was never this hidden thing we weren’t allowed. Worked amazingly! I do the same thing, and I’ve never had a complaint. The reaction is “can I have your choc from the basket” if I say no I’ll get asked if they can have a treat from the cupboard instead. No big deal. It’s a system that seems to work!

amother
Aster

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 1:20 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
In a bag that says spinach in the freezer.

JK 🤪
No joke, my mom always used to hide the chocolate in the vegetable bin in the fridge.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics