Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School Left DD Outside in the Cold
Previous  1  2

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 4:36 am
What they did is wrong and you should definitely complain about it.

However, it might have been wise to call or go in when you sent her in with a mask and just explain to them that you tested her for covid, she's negative, she has a cold and that's why she's wearing a mask (bit unnecessary if you ask me, but I guess if your daughter wanted to, that's different up to her).

It sounds to me like they thought you were sending a kid with corona and so you gave her a mask and they didn't want to deal with that. It's legitimate concern, because unfortunately there ARE parents who would do that! But they obviously dealt with it terribly.

A bit of extra communication at the onset probably could have avoided this unpleasantness.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:08 am
Yeah they dealt with it terribly!
They pretended DD misunderstood, but she told me she tried to go back in to sit and was told to stay outside.. awful people.
I can't believe these people are in chinuch. This school used to be good, now anything is better than this.
For some people a school is just a way to pay their bills and I think this is the case with this one now
I didn't think it was necessary to say anything because some kids go in with mask. Unfortunately after this I came to the conclusion that they really don't like her. They pick on her for other stuff, but after this eye opener now I know how much and how serious this is

imasinger

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:37 am
Slow down a moment here.

I am horrified that your DD was standing outside, no question.

But I'd suggest further investigation before tarring every person at the school with the same brush.

If it were my child, I'd want to find out who told her to go outside, and ask them why.

I'd also want to know if they understood how far away you were when they called.

A lot of times, "they" turns out to be one overworked person, often not an administrator, who didn't understand the situation, because they weren't given enough information.

While it's not out of the realm of possibility that everyone there truly has it in for DD and your family, it's unlikely.

The reason it's important to think this through is that it's almost the end of the school year. Pulling her out now is a last resort, and could impact her acceptance elsewhere in the future. The more you can calmly research and understand exactly what's going on, the better.

Obviously, her health and safety are paramount. Just be careful to avoid jumping to conclusions, even as you attend to that.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:42 am
How old

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:53 am
imasinger wrote:
Slow down a moment here.

I am horrified that your DD was standing outside, no question.

But I'd suggest further investigation before tarring every person at the school with the same brush.

If it were my child, I'd want to find out who told her to go outside, and ask them why.

I'd also want to know if they understood how far away you were when they called.

A lot of times, "they" turns out to be one overworked person, often not an administrator, who didn't understand the situation, because they weren't given enough information.

While it's not out of the realm of possibility that everyone there truly has it in for DD and your family, it's unlikely.

The reason it's important to think this through is that it's almost the end of the school year. Pulling her out now is a last resort, and could impact her acceptance elsewhere in the future. The more you can calmly research and understand exactly what's going on, the better.

Obviously, her health and safety are paramount. Just be careful to avoid jumping to conclusions, even as you attend to that.

They knew how far I was, they still made her stay outside. I know, it's hard to believe that anyone would do this to someone and I know who told her to wait outside. Imagine my surprise.

imasinger

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:03 am
Ugh, I'm sorry.

What are you planning to do?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:06 am
imasinger wrote:
Ugh, I'm sorry.

What are you planning to do?

Very good question. A lot to think about.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought I was just being nice. In Asian culture this is fairly common, and nowadays in many circles as well.

When I see someone wear a mask I assume they tested positive for covid. Unless they are elderly.
I know many think the same.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:49 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
When I see someone wear a mask I assume they tested positive for covid. Unless they are elderly.
I know many think the same.

Or, they’re sick (not necessarily COVID) and don’t want to spread any germs. Or they want to continue wearing masks. Or they’re taking public transportation where masks are still required. You know what they say about assumptions…

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:42 am
The lesson learned is NOT to not wear a mask. That is at each person's discretion and each person's situation.
They said that she felt worse. Did she?
Did they make her wait outside because they felt she had covid? Did you tell the teacher that she was negative?
Regardless, that is pretty bad judgment. I'm just trying to figure out why THEY thought it was the right thing to do. Definitely call and give them a piece of your mind.
Also, I was wondering, it is May. Where are you that it is so very cold?

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:12 am
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
The lesson learned is NOT to not wear a mask. That is at each person's discretion and each person's situation.
They said that she felt worse. Did she?
Did they make her wait outside because they felt she had covid? Did you tell the teacher that she was negative?
Regardless, that is pretty bad judgment. I'm just trying to figure out why THEY thought it was the right thing to do. Definitely call and give them a piece of your mind.
Also, I was wondering, it is May. Where are you that it is so very cold?
Where are you that it’s not cold? It’s been windy and rainy all week!

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the chizuk, I will!
Good! Take it up to the school board if you need to.

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:50 pm
Was thinking about your situation today - any luck with the school? And how's your daughter doing with all this?

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 5:59 pm
I pulled my mother o"h out of a hospital that was not allowing an aide to stay with her. DH was with her waiting for transport (it was after shkiah Friday night) and they told him he has to take her outside.

This was an 89 year old woman with pneumonia on a January evening with frigid weather. The lobby was more than the size of a football field but she had been on a Covid ward and there was nothing to discuss. If DH hadn't taken her outside they were going to call security.

We still need to send this to the patient liaison or something....

Then he realized he could have the aide turn on the car in which he'd arrived but it was no simple matter getting her into it and out of it again when Bikur Cholim non-J driver got there to take them home.

So yeah. Many people have lost their minds some time ago, it's no use expecting anything resembling reason ...

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 6:17 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Many people have lost their minds some time ago, it's no use expecting anything resembling reason ...

This! Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 7:30 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Was thinking about your situation today - any luck with the school? And how's your daughter doing with all this?

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So the next day the class had a party and the school got cups and drinks for the class! I don't think they changed their policy yet, but I think they got the message that when a kid is thirsty you give them a cup!

This is the thread about being left outside, but if the cup story happened to you too, I would pull her out right now. There is something seriously wrong with this school! What is this prison? Why are they torturing students making it difficult to get water and locking people out?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics