Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PLEASE KEEP YOUR SICK CHILDREN HOME FROM SCHOOL!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:52 am
Dear Mrs. Mommy and Mr. Totty,

I'm your child's morah. Last week we sent 3 kids home from school with a fever over 101. They came in fine but developed a fever over the course of the day. Another three were sick and didn't come to school. We were wondering what's going on that all of a sudden our students are ending up so sick! When one of the children came back to school (the one you do carpool with), we told him we were so excited to see him! How is he feeling?? His totty said he's feeling much better, he had tested positive for strep, but was on meds for 24 hours. He added in that they wouldn't have tested for strep, but since your child had tested positive for strep last week, they tested him too. Hmmm very interesting! Your child happened to have been in school EVERY DAY LAST WEEK! Did you think we wouldn't find out? Or wouldn't care? Shame on you for sending your contagious daughter to school! Only after we found this out did your daughter mention that mommy gave her pink medicine. School policy is 24 hrs fever free, or when no fever is involved, 24 hrs on antibiotic. Now you've inconvenienced many parents by getting their children sick for no reason other than your selfishness, to keep their children home while they really need to work (which I assume was the reason you sent your daughter to school sick). And, I'm sick. How irresponsible and uncaring of you.

Please think of others next time.

That is all.

A Morah who cares

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:59 am
Unfortunately if there's anything this pandemic has taught me, it's that parents don't care.

What matters is that their schedules aren't interrupted. Other people's health? That's not important.

I'm sorry you're sick. Feel better soon.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:02 am
Oy.

Any chance the child tested positive last Friday after school, or Motzai Shabbos? If I was talking to you yesterday, I would call that last week.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:07 am
This post is very judgy without knowing the facts. The child could have been sick over shabbos and on meds from M'S through Monday with more than 24 hours. I know a popular pediatrician in Lakewood says 12 hours on meds. I don't use him and agree that if a child is sick or there is a policy the child should stay home. Just hate the judging. Kids get sick. My baby had 4 kids out of 8 (2 morahs!) out for 2 days this week. If that girl was acting sick or had a fever she would have been sent home so just be DLKZ that the parents did the right thing.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:11 am
So firstly in preschool things travel around the class quickly. And my doctor said my kid on antibiotics for 12 hours with no fever can go back to school. So he might have gone after school started antibiotics and gone back the next morning. But the strep had already traveled to the next kid. Strep is often something people don’t know about instantly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:12 am
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
Oy.

Any chance the child tested positive last Friday after school, or Motzai Shabbos? If I was talking to you yesterday, I would call that last week.

We thought that too. But ended up finding out that it wasn't Friday or motzaei shabbos. We were hoping so! It's not the first time this family has done something like this...

watergirl

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:13 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Unfortunately if there's anything this pandemic has taught me, it's that parents don't care.

What matters is that their schedules aren't interrupted. Other people's health? That's not important.

I'm sorry you're sick. Feel better soon.

It's also that employers have still not learned their lesson from the pandemic. People are terrified to take off work.

I have a friend who sent me a text this morning asking me if my teenager could babysit her 3 year old who has covid. Ummm no... but this poor women is a single mother, her ex won't stay with his child, and her employer will literally fire her if she does not come in to work.

Teachers themselves have almost so way to take off either.

Employers have to do better.

amotherof3

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:22 am
Pediatricians say 12 hours after meds they are not contagious. So, if a child comes home at 4 and is not feeling well, the parent can take him to the doctor, get meds and the kid can be back the next morning. Not sure what the problem is here…

doodlesmom

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:25 am
Sadly they were contagious before the test, and probably contaminated others then….

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:28 am
amotherof3 wrote:
Pediatricians say 12 hours after meds they are not contagious. So, if a child comes home at 4 and is not feeling well, the parent can take him to the doctor, get meds and the kid can be back the next morning. Not sure what the problem is here…

Not all pediatricians say 12 hours. And that only works if you don’t dose your kid with Tylenol or Motrin before they go to school. Also if your child had fever when they came home from school, most schools require 24 hours fever free before return. So sure, your child may not be contagious anymore, but they also still shouldn’t be returning to school.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:29 am
(I'm assuming some of you only read my post about us having found out afterwards which day this kid was actually sick) y'all otherwise could be right. But as I said, it's not the first time the parents have done something like this.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:32 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Not all pediatricians say 12 hours. And that only works if you don’t dose your kid with Tylenol or Motrin before they go to school. Also if your child had fever when they came home from school, most schools require 24 hours fever free before return. So sure, your child may not be contagious anymore, but they also still shouldn’t be returning to school.

The fever is from the strep. Once it’s not contagious the fact that they had fever before antibiotics is really irrelevant. There’s a rhyme and reason why we do things it’s not just random. And we don’t need to listen to random opinions we can and should follow our doctors. So fir those of us whose doctors say they can return to school, can return to school.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:33 am
I'm a morah. I definitely can empathize! But if I can guess, there is a whole lot more about these parents that frustrates you. I don't judge parents, they generally aren't malicious or even trying to get out of taking off. Sometimes they don't pay close enough attention to their children's health. I'd love to judge them, but that would mean in all ways I am perfect. Which I am not. So if you morah really do care, try to love not only the children under your care, but the parents as well. Most parents are really well meaning and deserve your love and kindness. I have suffered tremendously by catching specific illnesses that caused long term effects so I do know what pain this can cause you. But hashem runs this world, and we need to believe that and let go of our frustration and do the right thing. I still won't let kids in sick and do my best to keep them apart if they are. But just don't judge. It's not good for you...

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(I'm assuming some of you only read my post about us having found out afterwards which day this kid was actually sick) y'all otherwise could be right. But as I said, it's not the first time the parents have done something like this.

No everyone read your post. They went to the doctor after school and came the next morning since it was more than 12 hours on antibiotics

happy chick

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:40 am
I'm not defending the mom here, I'm not here to judge who's right/wrong. But I would like to add, that when my kid comes off the bus at the end of the day complaining that his/her head/throat/stomach hurts, all the kids in the class have already been exposed. It happens that kids wake up fine and develop something over the course of the day.

Last edited by happy chick on Thu, May 12 2022, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:49 am
Unfortunately people send after 12 hours even if the child still has symptoms, and even though most doctors say 24 hours are necessary. So you sort of need to deal with this reality.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:56 am
As a morah myself, I totally understand your frustration!
Unfortunately sometimes it can't be prevented. Lots of scenarios possible. We have to be Dan lekav zechus.
And yes occasionally we get parents that thought the kid was well enough to attend playgroup but should have stayed home instead!! Bh, it doesn't happen so often!
Just today I had to send a child home because he had a contagious illness. No fever, he looks like he's feeling perfectly fine! It's very uncomfortable to be the one to tell a mother to leave her job to pick up her child, but I have to watch out for all the children in my care!!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:59 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
The fever is from the strep. Once it’s not contagious the fact that they had fever before antibiotics is really irrelevant. There’s a rhyme and reason why we do things it’s not just random. And we don’t need to listen to random opinions we can and should follow our doctors. So fir those of us whose doctors say they can return to school, can return to school.

Not even going to bother because you are not interested….

amother
Cognac

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:24 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

Contagious or not, would you want to go to school with fever?

tweety1

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:24 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

This. My pediatrician told me that if the kid was examined by a dr, has no strept, everything looks ok, kid acts generally ok then upto 101 is ok to send to school. Now throw tomatoes at me. I couldn't care. If I took my child to his dr, and he's telling me I can send him off then I do. It's not often that happens, because it's not often that a child acts well enough with fever, but occasionally it does, and when it does I ignore strangers and listen to my dr. Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics