Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Best Tip to help with Seasonal Allergies
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sky

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:08 pm
Sinus rinse - twice a day - it rinses the allergens out of your nose and sinus cavities.

Bausch and Lomb alaway eye drops work very well

Advil sinus relief with pseudodefrine - for when it gets very bad. It’s OTC but you need to request from pharamacist bec it’s controlled. When my symptoms are very bad it really helps. The pseudodefrine is the same drug found in Sudafed.

sky

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
So it’s the Costco brand loratidine ( Claritin I think)) and makes me so dizzy

Thx

Is it regular Claritin? Or Claritin -D. Claritin D makes me dizzy, my heart race and keeps me up all night.
But I’m fine on regular Claritin.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:11 pm
Optique eye drops have been super helpful BH! They can be purchased on Amazon and are actually natural.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 11:39 pm
for the long term, by DD and DH have been getting weekly (by now every other week) allergy shots, and this season and last spring have been significantly better than in the past. It does take a long time (up to 7 years!) but since they've suffered so bad, it's definitly worth it!
It's done by an allergist.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:18 am
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
So so so suffering! It’s finally nice and warm and I go out to enjoy the weather and I come in looking like I was hit by a truck. My throat is so scratchy and my sinuses are inflamed and my nose and head are so congested!!!

Rant over. Which med is effective and not make u drowsy? The one I’m on now apparently not working ( although usually works best , it’s the Costco brand loratidine ( Claritin I think)) and makes me so dizzy

Thx

Re the claritin = are you taking the non-drowsy one?

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:26 am
Don't forget to wash your hair (or kids hair, as the case may be). Allergens love sticking to hair.

I wish I had great answers for those of you who wear sheitels daily Sad

Tichels, snoods, etc are easy enough to wash, and make sure the kids aren't dragging stuff into the house when they've been playing outside (think on their sneakers or by hanging their pollen covered sweatshirts back in their bedrooms where they will then probably have more trouble sleeping).

One of my boys is convinced that sefira time is the worst - not shaving beards/longer hair gives more places for pollen to stick.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:30 am
Try fexofenadine - twice a day, morning and night. and for nasal allergies, put a bit of vaseline at the bottom of the nose, it catches the pollen so it doesn't penetrate. I also find contact lenses really help. On the windows, I put two layers of netting and wash them frequently.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:39 am
I had awful allergies until I took allergy shots. Takes a while to be effective, but by now my allergies are thankfully a thing of the past.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:42 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Flonase is a steroid. If used for more than a couple days it can be come addictive. Careful there.

What? I use it for weeks at a time and have no issues stopping. What are you talking about? I’d listen to doctors over this…

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:44 am
I take 2 or sometimes 3 together if it’s really bad. You have to take it consistently at the same time every day to get it under control. And then stay on it. Do not go off until the season is done.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:56 am
I'm taking unisom at night for pregnancy, and I noticed it has really been helping allergy symptoms. Unisom is basically benadryl.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 9:03 am
I take xyzal and flonase year round (I have other environmental allergies in addition to pollen like dust and mold) but during pollen season I take the xyzal twice a day as per my doctor. Also eye drops when needed. I refuse to avoid nature all spring, summer and fall (I'm allergic to multiple types of pollen not just spring allergens) which would probably help. I had allergy shots over 20 years ago which helped (I used to get really really sick, like covered in hives and puffy face even on antihistamines) but my allergies got somewhat worse the last few years so I may have to do it again.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 10:25 am
I have done acupuncture the past few years and it really really made a difference! This year I'm so sick with allergies cause I'm pregnant and he wont do it on pregnant women.

I see such a difference between this year and last year. Last year I went 2 or 3 times, and I felt so good. I was able to breathe and feel good. This year, I take benadryl and Zyrtec and they just take the edge off it, they really don't help much. I'm counting down the days till the allergy season is over.

I would highly recommend you try acupuncture, it's miraculous.

He's located in Manhattan and it's so worth to go.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:46 am
I would try accupuncture - a good practitioner.

Not realistic for most kids, but for myself, when I am 100% off sugar and keep low on other sweeteners such as honey and orange juice, I see a huuuuuuuge improvement in my allergy symptoms.

srbmom

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:53 am
Quote:
I'm taking unisom at night for pregnancy, and I noticed it has really been helping allergy symptoms. Unisom is basically benadryl.

My allergist told me to take 1/2 a benadryl every night before bed.
This is along with whatever medication works (for me the Costco Claritin) each morning and Flonase (also Costco brand). This seems to help me significantly, but I need to consistently take it every day during allergy season - not just when I'm feeling symptoms

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 1:25 pm
This is supposed to be very effective, but nothing is magical.
Nutricost Butterbur Extract Capsules (75mg) 120 Capsules - Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Vegetarian Friendly
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

s1

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 2:14 pm
Locally made honey is supposed to work wonders for hay fever and allergies. The theory is that if you have honey made from flowers that are around you, you will then build up some sort of immunity to those flowers. I’ve heard from friends that it works well. (You eat the honey, don’t rub it in your nose/eyes 😉)

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 2:19 pm
Health food store has an allergy relief pill that’s a game changer. It’s from maxihealth

On a tough day, you pop ‘‘em more often.

It has taken us from miserable to good and some days perfect

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 3:18 pm
I've done acupuncture for the past 15 years or so, with amazing results b"h. It takes away 95% of the symptoms, and although I still feel a tickle here and there, I'm able to function and carry on with daily life.
Definitely worth a try!

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 3:21 pm
s1 wrote:
Locally made honey is supposed to work wonders for hay fever and allergies. The theory is that if you have honey made from flowers that are around you, you will then build up some sort of immunity to those flowers. I’ve heard from friends that it works well. (You eat the honey, don’t rub it in your nose/eyes 😉)

you need to start this way before the allergy season hits.

Such a shame that this glorious weather becomes a nightmare for some of us.

even with showering every night and closed windows, I suffer terribly.

I wake up itching and tearing and sneezing and that's at night. during the day, forget about it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics