Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
If you lost over 50 lbs....
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 5:28 pm
And kept it off for 3+ years, how did you do it? What's you story?
If you lost less than 50 lbs or haven't kept it off for 3 years +, you can share your secret but you're not the category I'm polling.

I'm developing a theory (in my head) which is both validating and depressing. I'm sick of the cycle. I'm sick of the regaining. I want to learn the truth.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 5:33 pm
Interested in what your theory is.
I have not kept off my lost weight.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 5:33 pm
I'm not going to chime in with my story here, but I just have a thought to share:

I think that if the weight was gained largely due to emotional eating there is a greater chance of regaining the weight if the emotional issues are not addressed.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 5:35 pm
When my husband lost weight and gained it back he said that he knows that it'll just be a cycle for him and he did the band. He lost 100 lbs in a year bh.

wifenmother

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 5:43 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
When my husband lost weight and gained it back he said that he knows that it'll just be a cycle for him and he did the band. He lost 100 lbs in a year bh.

Has he kept that off? For how long?

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 5:53 pm
wifenmother wrote:
Has he kept that off? For how long?

It's 4 years now. He fluctuates a few pounds up or down.
Bh it worked for him. It's not easy though. The pre and post surgery and the lifestyle he lives. It's not the dream life. He is quiet limited with what he can eat.

wifenmother

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:03 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
I'm not going to chime in with my story here, but I just have a thought to share:

I think that if the weight was gained largely due to emotional eating there is a greater chance of regaining the weight if the emotional issues are not addressed.

Interesting insight!

Even if that emotional issue is addressed, if the individual does not learn how not to turn to food to handle difficult emotions, then how does addressing that specific issue help?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:07 pm
And if the weight was gained due to physical/hormonal/metabolism issues then why would that stay off?
Typically that weight is only starved off and can only stay off if the individual remains semi starving for life ...

lamplighter

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:08 pm
You know the statistics for regaining lost weight is over 95%, right?
95% of people who lose weight will regain it plus more within the first 2-5 years. The people who keep it off are the exception. Of course the weightloss industry won't tell you that, they are making billions on you.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:12 pm
wifenmother wrote:

Interesting insight!

Even if that emotional issue is addressed, if the individual does not learn how not to turn to food to handle difficult emotions, then how does addressing that specific issue help?

Ah, so that leads to theory #2:

Amount and intensity of emotional baggage is directly in proportion to tendency to engage in emotional eating.

Reduce the emotional rollercoaster in terms of frequency and intensity and reduce the need to instinctually turn to food.

Can we get rid of all emotions? No, and we shouldn't want to. But by getting rid of major stressors, I think it has an impact on eating.

lamplighter

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:40 pm
On this site I know of 2 women I think. Andre Levy and the woman who lost 90 lbs on greysheet- I forgot her name. There may be others.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:45 pm
I was having trouble losing weight and dieting, and was stress eating.

At some point I realized that certain things were stressing me out, I had a very toxic friend that was putting me down.

I distanced myself from this toxic person and suddenly the weight started falling off and I now am able to eat normal quantities and I don't stress eat anymore.

I lost 45lbs and have kept it off for 2 years now.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:46 pm
Overeaters anonymous. If you work the program properly there are many who have kept off large amounts of weight for years

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:50 pm
I lost more then 50 lb, more then once.

Never for 3+ years, I always gained it back in a subsequent pregnancy.

Does pregnancy weight count for this theory?

Intuitive eating is what did it for me. The bloody truth, IE means “no you can’t eat what you want when you want.” And that’s all diets and then healthy eating maintenance of weight loss.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 6:57 pm
I did the band. its not the best invention but it does work. it does about 50% of the work for you the other 50% is regular plain old plain dieting. I also did years of counseling. while I have a counselor I eat much less. and I'm happier all around. when I don't have support of course the weight comes back

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:00 pm
I did. I gained more than 50 with pregnancy, and lost it all, my baby just turned three.
Intuitive eating, not being rigid with a diet, embracing imperfections and focusing on the rest of my life.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:41 pm
Pregnancy weight gain doesn't count for this theory.
I'm asking about women who are obese, with over 50+ lbs to lose. If you were successful in losing your weight and kept it off more than 3 years, how did you do it?

I'd say you can include people you know in your responses but I know too many people who lie about how they lost weight that I'd rather just first hand responses.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 7:43 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
I lost more then 50 lb, more then once.

Never for 3+ years, I always gained it back in a subsequent pregnancy.

Does pregnancy weight count for this theory?

Intuitive eating is what did it for me. The bloody truth, IE means “no you can’t eat what you want when you want.” And that’s all diets and then healthy eating maintenance of weight loss.

Can you explain more about how you used IE to lose 50+ lbs?
Also where you obese before or was this just to lose the pregnancy weight?

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you explain more about how you used IE to lose 50+ lbs?
Also where you obese before or was this just to lose the pregnancy weight?

I was not obese before. I had 25 pounds to lose to be thin, 15 to be average.

Each subsequent pregnancy, I gained more and lost less thereafter.

I’ve always dieted and lost, but didn’t even come to my prepregnancy weight. Intuitive eating helped me lose my baby fat and then my years of build up.

I’m not ready to eat intuitively after a baby-send over as many gallons of ice cream as possible! IE is a massive eating style change, and it worked for me. Exercised too, not intense. But mainly it’s seal the lips. Stop eating. Easier said then done.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 8:23 pm
Lost 75+ lbs over 10 years ago after doing the lap band surgery. Kept most of it off all this time aside from 10 lbs which I gain and lose and struggle to keep off (but never gained back more than 10 bH). It’s a constant battle.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise