Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What size suitcase for sleepaway camp via air travel?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 2:08 am
My daughter is traveling to sleep away camp via air travel. Knowing I want large suitcases for her I looked up the airline luggage allowance and it says 62 linear inch maximum per bag (that's the length + height + width). I did a lot of research to find the biggest wheeled duffle to fit the requirement. They arrived (I ordered 2) and they're tiny! We have for sure traveled with bigger suitcases for smaller trips! The suitcases are 28 inches in length... what size length can I get away with for an airline without them stopping her on the way home (she's actually driving there but flying home)? Thank you!

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 2:22 am
When I flew to camp I always used the big wheelie’s. Not sure about duffles why don’t you use the big rectangular wheel ones instead?

Raisin

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 4:42 am
A lot of airlines only allow with the cheapest level ticket a cabin suitcase, (which they give dimensions for) and you pay extra for a large one to check in which doesn't usually have dimensions. Typically they have a 20kg weight limit.

My kids are usually fine with large suitcase (20kg) plus a cabin suitcase and a backpack.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 9:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter is traveling to sleep away camp via air travel. Knowing I want large suitcases for her I looked up the airline luggage allowance and it says 62 linear inch maximum per bag (that's the length + height + width). I did a lot of research to find the biggest wheeled duffle to fit the requirement. They arrived (I ordered 2) and they're tiny! We have for sure traveled with bigger suitcases for smaller trips! The suitcases are 28 inches in length... what size length can I get away with for an airline without them stopping her on the way home (she's actually driving there but flying home)? Thank you!

I have sent 36" with the same requirements.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 9:10 am
The 36" suitcase has been ok when the restrictions are technically 62 linear inches? She's flying southwest, are they making on the 62 linear inches? Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 2:04 am
So 36" is what people send as checked luggage?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So 36" is what people send as checked luggage?

When I bought 36” duffel bags for my kids for camp I remember the label attached said ‘airline approved’.
I hope it’s okay because we are flying to Israel soon on United airlines and I planned on taking the 36’ duffels.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The 36" suitcase has been ok when the restrictions are technically 62 linear inches? She's flying southwest, are they making on the 62 linear inches? Thank you!

My boys fly southwest all the time with that size duffel bag. Never had an issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics