Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Do you take the skin off chicken before baking?
Previous  1  2

Do you take the skin off chicken?
Yes, I remove the skin before baking  
 23%  [ 48 ]
I bake it with the skin but remove it before serving/eating  
 16%  [ 34 ]
I serve it with the skin  
 59%  [ 121 ]
Total Votes : 203

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 12:02 am
Fun fact:
My mother was a health and weight freak. We never had skin on our chicken (amongst other things), til this day myself and all my siblings only make skin on chicken and we love eating the crunchy skin.
Rebels we are.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:43 am
I don’t like chicken skin, but my husband does. Therefore, I just remove the skin from my personal piece.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:49 am
egam wrote:
You should never rinse chicken to avoid cross contamination. Instead you should cook it to proper temperature to kill bacteria.
cross contamination of what exactly? I rinse it in my very deep sink, the water is not strong. A d I always wipe down my counters after ive cooked or baked so its cleaned off, if some bits of water from the chicken splashed. Ive never had any issue.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Do I need to pluck feathers??

If you’re buying kosher chicken, it’s not available with feathers. But I’m not American so I don’t know what you have available there.
Never ever seen anyone (Kosher or not) baking chicken with feathers. Sounds super strange! Anyone heard of this before?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
1. The entire chicken is spiced or sauced so taking off the skin does not take away the flavor at all.
2. I always just rinse the chicken, skin or no skin.

A lot of ppl do not rinse because of the bacteria. They say it’s safer unwashed.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
If you’re buying kosher chicken, it’s not available with feathers. But I’m not American so I don’t know what you have available there.
Never ever seen anyone (Kosher or not) baking chicken with feathers. Sounds super strange! Anyone heard of this before?
Such an interesting sentence.
Many times, in a few different continents, Ive seen kosher chicken with feathers.
Its ot all the feathers, more like feathers that were "forgotten". So kosher chicken, with feathers.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:23 am
A lot of ppl do not rinse because of the bacteria. They say it’s safer unwashed.
As I wrote above, been doing this for years, never been an issue.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:28 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
As I wrote above, been doing this for years, never been an issue.

You do what works for you. Many are in agreement with you, just saying there exist those that do things differently. I guess as always in life!

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Such an interesting sentence.
Many times, in a few different continents, Ive seen kosher chicken with feathers.
Its ot all the feathers, more like feathers that were "forgotten". So kosher chicken, with feathers.

I guess I haven’t travelled enough. But I’d assume the odd “forgotten ones” would just be pulled out? Is it like one or two feathers? Or a bunch, or covered? I’d think I’d actually feel uncomfortable dealing with feathered chicken. Either way, I’m gathering you can’t order feathered chicken, more like it’s just a fluke or mistake?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:33 am
I guess I haven’t travelled enough. But I’d assume the odd “forgotten ones” would just be pulled out? Is it like one or two feathers? Or a bunch, or covered? I’d think I’d actually feel uncomfortable dealing with feathered chicken. Either way, I’m gathering you can’t order feathered chicken, more like it’s just a fluke or mistake?
No, its not covered and nobody is talking about ordering chicken with the feathers. Its just random feathers that were not plucked. Sometimes 1 or 2 and sometimes a BIT more, but still not a whole lot.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No, its not covered and nobody is talking about ordering chicken with the feathers. Its just random feathers that were not plucked. Sometimes 1 or 2 and sometimes a BIT more, but still not a whole lot.

Haha, I was picturing a whole lot. Thanks for clarifying!

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:43 am
They're not really feathers. More like the feather was cut off and the base/spine/bone of the feather is still attached and sticking out of the skin. Sometimes a few get left and it's more appetizing to pluck out of the skin before seasoning and baking the chicken.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 2:30 pm
I've heard from a nutritionist that the skin of the chicken is actually not unhealthy like people think.

pause

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:20 pm
Seems like we're the odd ones out. The skin is the best part!!! My kids ask for the chicken piece with the most skin. When they eat the chicken, they remove the skin, eat the chicken first and leave the skin for last because they love it so much. I make it so that it comes out crispy. Yum!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics