Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Touring Israel with little kids
1  2  Next

Good Friend

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:23 pm
I'll be traveling to Israel for a few weeks touring with my husband and 3 kids- oldest of the 3 is 4 years old.
I would love to hear suggestions of fun things to do with very young children.
Also any tips as to what kind of stroller to bring?
I own a bassinet, 2 single small lightweight strollers, and a double stroller.
Thanks in advance!

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:44 pm
Following because we might do the same.
I went to Israel for seminary and then again with my husband when we first got married, no kids.
I have no idea how to do it (And enjoy it) with kids.
Any suggestions are really appreciated.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 11:58 pm
If any of your kids are small enough to wear in a carrier, bring one along; the cobblestones in the Old City of Jerusalem are rough on strollers.

There are plenty of parks - I don't think a child under 4 needs much more than that. But if you are looking for child-friendly activities:

They might enjoy the Kotel tunnels.
Beit Guvrin is fun. Caves and archeological digs.
Eretz Beresheit

Chocolate workshops in Kibbutz Deganya and in Ein Zivan (de Karina chocolate workshop)

Nature parks with water are always fun: Gan HaShlosha is right near Gan Garoo, a zoo featuring Australian animals; Banias, Nahal HaKibbutzim, Eid Gedi.

Take sun hats and sunscreen. Make sure everybody stays well hydrated.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 12:17 am
I'm thinking of ages between 3-5

Temple Institute (Jerusalem)
The stalactite caves (Beit Shemesh
Ancient Shiloh (Binyamin region)
Nimrod's Fortress (Golan)

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 1:50 am
Bring your double stroller. Maybe even a single one for the 4 year old as walking here can be tiring and the heat and getting all over. Light clothing, plus depending on where you are sometimes the evenings can get breezy. Gan Sacher has the new park which is amazing.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:16 am
I would say to be realistic. Kids that age will tire easily in the heat, and most educational activities will go over their heads. Build in rest time and ice cream stops.

Rappel

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:26 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
I would say to be realistic. Kids that age will tire easily in the heat, and most educational activities will go over their heads. Build in rest time and ice cream stops.

This is key. Activity in the early morning, rest/nap in the afternoon, activity in the evening, sleep at night. It's the natural summer schedule.

Want to add: the children's science museum in Jerusalem, and the Jerusalem aquarium, are both lovely indoor activities. So is the zoo -- we usually start by the giraffes and work backward so we reach the buildings by the time the sun is hot.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:35 am
Right and factor in kids' jet lag.
I would focus mainly on getting out and about walking soaking in the sights and sounds.
Enjoy!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 4:14 am
Rappel wrote:
This is key. Activity in the early morning, rest/nap in the afternoon, activity in the evening, sleep at night. It's the natural summer schedule.

Want to add: the children's science museum in Jerusalem, and the Jerusalem aquarium, are both lovely indoor activities. So is the zoo -- we usually start by the giraffes and work backward so we reach the buildings by the time the sun is hot.

Yep. We went to Israel with two small kids and built in afternoon naptime daily. It also helped because being at things nice and early usually meant less people.

I would not do Kotel tunnels, or anything else that has a beginning and end and it's complicated or impossible to leave in the middle. Machon hamikdash has a similar problem- if you're with others, the kids will need to be relatively quiet, and they'll let you out but not back in Flexibility is key.

My kids loved the playground stops, and when we stopped at the aqueduct near Caesarea and they got to play in the sand. And the science museum. Walk around the Old City. Take turns davening at the kotel with dh, get the kids ice pops and cotton candy as you walk through the paths, and they will remember it well.

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:26 am
Take a double stroller and a single or a scooter for the older one. Or a double and doona for the baby. Make sure you will have car seats. Don’t take buses wherever you do. Will you rent a car? That’s the ideal bit if you cant use Gett app for taxis is also pretty convenient.

Where are you staying? Do you want to tour all over?

Don’t stress about the naps, they will sleep on the car. Just make sure to have enough clothes diapers and snacks each day with you. I also took pjs and sweaters for the long day trips because it gets cold at night and if they fell asleep in the way home they were ready for bed and I bathed them in the morning.

Make sure you feed them 3ish good meals.

Good luck and have fun!

Sesame

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:37 am
I’d not take a double and a single. But may that’s because I just see ppl squeezing multiple kids in a double here.
I do old city all the time and never had a problem, even with a small travel stroller like the yoyo, it’s just a bit bumpy for the kid.

Good Friend

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:40 am
Thank you so much for all the suggestions and tips! Yes this is what I keep telling my husband- we have to keep this low key and limit walking or the kids will be exhausted and cranky.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:47 am
Teddy Park fountains?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 5:47 am
Sorry to sound like a broken record here but a lot of people don't think about this, keep in mind it's shmittah in Israel and as far as I know the zoo, national parks, aquarium etc aren't keeping the halachos of shmittah.

Ask your Rav before going to any place where you will be paying money towards people doing work on the land that is assur during shmittah.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 6:06 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Sorry to sound like a broken record here but a lot of people don't think about this, keep in mind it's shmittah in Israel and as far as I know the zoo, national parks, aquarium etc aren't keeping the halachos of shmittah.

Ask your Rav before going to any place where you will be paying money towards people doing work on the land that is assur during shmittah.

They may not be keeping shemitta the way some poskim prefer, but they're keeping it according to other opinions. Very few places ignore shemitta completely.

Shuly

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 7:37 am
Strollers are not allowed in the Stalactite caves. No touching is allowed either, so it might not be good for little kids.
I have a double Baby Jogger GT and it's great for Israel because it folds flat enough to fit into the trunk of a taxi, and the air tires are perfect for the Old City.

My kids who are those ages are happiest just going to parks and playgrounds - Gan HaPaamon, Gan Sacher, Gan Haatzmaut and playgrounds in all the neighborhoods.

There is also the zoo and the aquarium.

Good Friend

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:30 am
Thank you all!
One more question- if we end up renting a car, are there rental cars that come with carseats? I'd rather not shlep 3 carseats from home to Israel...

Sesame

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:42 am
LovesHashem wrote:

I dunno about parks, but the zoo definitely was when I went. All the grass was cordoned off with a sign to please remember hilchos shmittah. Seems strict enough. No idea what fruit/veg they feed the animals, but I don’t know if animals owned by Jews are required to keep shmittah

Sesame

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:44 am
Good Friend wrote:
Thank you all!
One more question- if we end up renting a car, are there rental cars that come with carseats? I'd rather not shlep 3 carseats from home to Israel...

So call a car seat gemach before coming….

LovesHashem

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 8:50 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
They may not be keeping shemitta the way some poskim prefer, but they're keeping it according to other opinions. Very few places ignore shemitta completely.

I would say it's best to call and clarify...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics