Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Falafel Crusted Chicken with Hummus Slaw

Amarante

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 10:57 am
This was a fun dish. The falafel mix was a really ingenious way to boost the flavor.

I just subbed sriracha sauce for the Chile sauce but any thing that brings a little zip to the recipe would be good.

Almost as easy as takeout with bagged slaw mix and store bought hummus Very Happy We made sandwiches - not sure if that was what the recipe intended but it didn't make sense to eat coleslaw sandwiches and have the chicken on the side.

Falafel Crusted Chicken with Hummus Slaw

Serves 4

This chicken recipe doubles well and is great for kids and adults.

3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup falafel mix (boxed - available in major markets)
2 pitas, halved
6 tablespoons hummus
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon chile sauce
4 cups shredded coleslaw mix
6 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
Kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Set a rack on a rimmed baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Toss the chicken with the olive oil in a large bowl, then add the falafel mix and toss to coat. Arrange the chicken on the rack and bake until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes. While the chicken is baking, stack the pita halves and wrap them in foil; warm in the oven, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the hummus, lemon zest and juice, chile sauce and 3 tablespoons water in a large bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of the hummus sauce and reserve. Add the coleslaw mix, radishes and parsley to the remaining hummus sauce and toss. Season with salt.

Divide the chicken among plates and drizzle with the reserved hummus sauce. Stuff the slaw in the pitas and serve with the chicken.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 11:02 am
Licking my lips. I think I'm putting it on the menu for next week.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 11:06 am
I admit I was hesitant to post given the three lengthy threads on the controversial preference for boneless versus boned versus white meat versus dark meat chicken LOL LOL

And then another thread in which my recommendations for customizing one's cookware to suit how one actually cooks was excoriated for being elitist. LOL

For the record - this recipe specifies BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS - merely stating boneless doesn't differentiate between breasts and things - e.g. between dark and white meat. LOL LOL

All the recipes I have ever seen - at least aimed at modern US cooks - specify breasts or thighs/boneless or boned. If dark/white - breast/leg/thigh can be used interchangeably the recipe will note that and generally provide instructions for modifying cook time since breasts generally cook faster and dry out while dark meat/legs are more forgiving.

yiddishmom

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 11:46 am
Lol, I missed the elitist thread and skipped most of the others.

As far as I am concerned there is breasts (a.ka. top or white chicken) vs. Thighs (a.k.a. dark or bottoms or legs). And both types can be purchased either with the bone or without.

Happens to be, I often use a diff type of meat than specified in a recipe and then adjust the recipe/ cook temp and time as needed.

Please don't hesitate to share recipe, because I enjoy them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey