Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Moroccan Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup

Amarante

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 12:34 pm
I do like butternut squash soup but the ones I have made are the more typically recipes where the squash is blended so that it is more of a thick type of soup.

This is different since the soup isn't blended and there are also additional vegetables added plus chicken and couscous. You don't want to overcook the couscous or the zucchini - I would imagine that yellow squash could be subbed as it has the same texture and flavor profile as zucchini.

I made it as the recipe indicated using raw chicken and sautéing it but I imagine it could be adjusted by adding cooked chicken at the end. There might be less depth of flavor since the sauted chicken would add flavor from the fond from the chicken.

Using squash that is already peeled and cut is a convenience,

Moroccan Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup

Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup uncooked couscous
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons grated orange zest

Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken; cook for 4 minutes, browning on all sides. Add cumin, cinnamon, and pepper to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add butternut squash and tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in Chicken Stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in couscous, salt, and zucchini; cook 5 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove pan from heat. Stir in chopped basil and orange zest.

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 12:51 pm
This sounds like a delicious one-pot meal. I think I will try it. Thanks for posting!

I'm thinking I sometimes pop a butternut squash into the oven for 1/2 hour or so before peeling/cubing. Makes it much easier. I think I would try that here as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics