Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after Reb Shimon- Update!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:15 pm
Obviously heard many amazing stories of people who have promised to give the name Shimon and were zoche to have a baby.

Bh I have a child. I'm trying again and it's been taking a while. Going to RE and treatments... Bh I'm not majorly concerned or painfully desperate. I would really like to have baby.

Is it crazy to promise that I'll give Shimon? Will people say, what? It's not like she didn't have kids for 10 years... I think it's quite obvious that I don't have a large family, but bh don't fall into category of desperate couple begging for a child. I read amazing stories about Reb Shimon over shabbos that inspired me to do this, but it seems embarrassing at the same time. Like I'll be judged.

My husband doesn't understand the big deal at all. If you want to name for him do it, if not not. Why do you care what others think about your childs name...

Any insight? I'm chassidish if it makes a difference.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:58 pm
I kind of did it. I’m very glad I did. We also love the name and the meaning from the Passuk. If you read the passuk it mentions something like a second son/also this one. Also not severe infertility.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:06 pm
I did it BH, it was right after a late loss, and we have other children. I got one funny look from a relative who was expecting us to name after family, which we normally do. Who cares what others think?

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:07 pm
I know someone who promised. They didn’t have an easy journey to the child and then it wasn’t even healthy. So I am not a big believer. Some people say that there is a lot of kedusha in the name more than the child can handle.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:09 pm
I'm chassidish and also a SIFer. RE and treatments are all part of my language.. I am starting to feel desperate and I'm so cholishing for a baby!
So first of all hugs!
I understand your reservations, and not wanting to sound like you overreacted.
I'd still promise the name and have everyone in boidem.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:11 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
I know someone who promised. They didn’t have an easy journey to the child and then it wasn’t even healthy. So I am not a big believer. Some people say that there is a lot of kedusha in the name more than the child can handle.
That's so sad.
However I don't see here the connection to the name Shimon.
I know several miracle babies by the name Shimon, BH Healthy and a real source of nachas to their parents!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:20 pm
Thank you all and I'm so happy for those upthread that had healthy babies, bh.

I do know many healthy miracle babies Shimon.
I also love the name and don't have any close family members to after now.

Do you promise only if it's in the year or the next boy... or whatever I want...?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all and I'm so happy for those upthread that had healthy babies, bh.

I do know many healthy miracle babies Shimon.
I also love the name and don't have any close family members to after now.

Do you promise only if it's in the year or the next boy... or whatever I want...?

I had the same question.
But I was told that it's a no.
You don't play around with a promise to reb shimon. (I did not ask about others, but would probably get the same 'no')

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:34 pm
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
I had the same question.
But I was told that it's a no.
You don't play around with a promise to reb shimon. (I did not ask about others, but would probably get the same 'no')

No what?
No to promise at all? Can you please be more specific what you were told no to? thanks

Sesame

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:42 pm
How will anyone know that you promised? For all they know it’s just a name you chose, why should they automatically think the name Simon means you went to the kever of rabbi Simon bar yochai, davened and promised the name?! What would there be to judge on? As in stam if they don’t like the name? Who cares?!
Either way, you’d have to ask a shaila about promising, I believe saying bli neder is less of a problem just in case.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:53 pm
Sesame wrote:
How will anyone know that you promised? For all they know it’s just a name you chose, why should they automatically think the name Simon means you went to the kever of rabbi Simon bar yochai, davened and promised the name?! What would there be to judge on? As in stam if they don’t like the name? Who cares?!
Either way, you’d have to ask a shaila about promising, I believe saying bli neder is less of a problem just in case.

Thanks for telling me to ask shaila. I didn't think about it.

In my family and community the norm is to name after a family member. Usually families take turns naming from the wife's side of the family and the husband's. Obviously there are exceptions, but usually with a story behind it. People in my community don't just pick a name because they like it. So automatically it turns a few heads. I need to decide how much I'll care...

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No what?
No to promise at all? Can you please be more specific what you were told no to? thanks

That I can promise the name but without making 'terms'.
If I promise I cannot say 'only if it's within x amount of time' or 'only if it's a boy next' etc.

if I promise a Shimon, I will have to give the name for my next boy whenever that may be and even though I needed IVF to get there and even if I have a girl first..

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

For this question, my answer was 'no'

But ask your own rav

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:32 pm
I know it sounds crazy but my biggest concern with promising name for longer than a year is that chas vsholem close male member would pass away and I won't be able to name after them. How crazy is that?

Sesame

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for telling me to ask shaila. I didn't think about it.

In my family and community the norm is to name after a family member. Usually families take turns naming from the wife's side of the family and the husband's. Obviously there are exceptions, but usually with a story behind it. People in my community don't just pick a name because they like it. So automatically it turns a few heads. I need to decide how much I'll care...

I get that! I guess I never thought twice. When we were first married there was no none to name after. The grandparents were all still alive, and great grandparents names are either not Jewish (pre war) or myself/hubby has the name, or one of our parents do. Ppl were still surprised we didn’t trace further back and made comments about us naming what we wanted.
I guess you could say a rebbei gave you a bracha and said to use this name? Or as your husband says, do what you want and if someone doesn’t like it - it’s just too bad!

overworked

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:43 pm
I had my 1stchild 10 .5 yrs of marriag,e my husband use to go yearly to R' Elimelech from Lizensk & occasionally to reb shimon when my husband went to R'Shimon I went along bh we had our 1st boy we didnt know which name to give because we didnt remember if we promise the name shimon if we will give birth within the yr of promising or in general my husband went to our Rebbi Ztl (viznitz) my husband said it was a quiet moment when the rebbi thought about our question & he named my son Shimon Elimelech after both Tzadikim

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:56 pm
Following, can I add the name Shimon to another name after
For a grandfather?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:57 pm
overworked wrote:
I had my 1stchild 10 .5 yrs of marriag,e my husband use to go yearly to R' Elimelech from Lizensk & occasionally to reb shimon when my husband went to R'Shimon I went along bh we had our 1st boy we didnt know which name to give because we didnt remember if we promise the name shimon if we will give birth within the yr of promising or in general my husband went to our Rebbi Ztl (viznitz) my husband said it was a quiet moment when the rebbi thought about our question & he named my son Shimon Elimelech after both Tzadikim

Wow, May he give you loads of naches! Such a special name

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Obviously heard many amazing stories of people who have promised to give the name Shimon and were zoche to have a baby.

Bh I have a child. I'm trying again and it's been taking a while. Going to RE and treatments... Bh I'm not majorly concerned or painfully desperate. I would really like to have baby.

Is it crazy to promise that I'll give Shimon? Will people say, what? It's not like she didn't have kids for 10 years... I think it's quite obvious that I don't have a large family, but bh don't fall into category of desperate couple begging for a child. I read amazing stories about Reb Shimon over shabbos that inspired me to do this, but it seems embarrassing at the same time. Like I'll be judged.

My husband doesn't understand the big deal at all. If you want to name for him do it, if not not. Why do you care what others think about your childs name...

Any insight? I'm chassidish if it makes a difference.

We made such a promise but not related to fertility. We named our first after Rabbi Shimon.

We were still newlyweds and when people heard our baby's name and asked "after Rabbi Shimon" they looked us up and down and said, "How long have you been married?"

LOL the child is older now and no one asks "why did you name him that" anymore. But when we were asked I loved saying "he was born right around our first anniversary" and watching their eyes pop out.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 4:23 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Following, can I add the name Shimon to another name after
For a grandfather?

Dh had a grandfather named shimon and another name . ( Everyone thinks my son is named after r shimon)
I have a sil that had her first after 5 years but was a girl . Then after another 5 years had a boy. She was in Miron the year before . They asked what name to give and were told only shimon ( not grandfather name) because this baby was in r shimon zechus.
I have a neighbor that had her first boy on lag baomer after 5 girls . Of course she named him shimon even though she had plenty other names to give.He's getting peyos this week iyh
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names