Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Going to Paris, any advice?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 11:43 am
I will be in Paris for a few days next week with my baby. Does anyone have any advice about things to do or things to not do?

I admit I'm a little nervous because of news stories about anti-Semitism from Arabs there. I look very visibly Jewish. Are there specific areas that are more or less safe?

I also hear there are almost no public bathrooms. Is that true? And if so how do parents of young kids deal with changing diapers? What about breastfeeding, how socially acceptable is it there?

TIA for any suggestions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:27 pm
Bump.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:58 pm
Hi! I live in Paris! No problem of antisemitism if you stay in regular neighborhoods. (Paris is really ok, some suburbs are not).
Public bathrooms aren’t so common, but those you find in the streets are just disgusting. You change your baby either in the stroller or anywhere but not in the bathroom.
Nursing is like everywhere, as long as you’re covered you so whatever you you wish for.
If you have more questions I can answer 😉

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 4:35 pm
When I went with a baby we took the hop on hop off tour. It took us around and covered everything important.

newinbp

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 5:03 pm
It's like a dream I have to go to Paris! Share your itinerary! Sounds so fun have a safe trip

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:38 am
Re itinerary : you can visit Eiffel Tower, triumph arc, champs - elysees, Rue de Rivoli, the Tuileries…
If you’re into art or museum, musée d’Orsay, musée du louvres, musée marmottant.
Jewish itinerary: the Marais (or pletzl) : old neighborhood, old Shuls, some kosher restaurants (always check the teuda as there are plenty Jewish styles ones but non kosher)
A lot of kosher options on websites 123cacher.com or mangercacher.com

Safe trip!

amother
Sand

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:57 am
I wouldn't worry about antisemitism - all the touristy things are in perfectly safe neighborhoods. I second the advice to always check if there is a hechsher, and also look into which hechsher you are comfortable taking (not everything is glatt for example).

We didn't eat from Beit Din Paris but only Rav Katz, Rav Rottenberg and Chabad (if I remember correctly).

As for restrooms: if you are planning on going to museums etc, there's always a changing table, in our experience. I always changed my baby in a restaurant or in a museum. Def not public restrooms.

If you are looking for ideas on what to do, in addition to what was already mentioned, the Mémorial de la Shoah in the Marais is very interesting.

Musée Rodin is also beautiful, especially the sculpture garden.

I'd also recommend taking a boat tour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics