Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
DD Being Left Back
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right those are exactly my thoughts. It kills me that other kids with her birth month get to go ahead but not her. If she is after the cutoff it’s a different story. But the school isn’t budging. Is it worth it for me to try to get her into a different school over this issue even though it’s obviously very late?

I wouldn’t switch her school if you’re happy otherwise with the school, but I’d certainly push back and stand firm on your position that you see no benefit in leaving her back and you’re choosing to keep her with her peers in the grade ahead.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 7:25 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Where I live, it's very common to leave back kids who are in the last couple of months before the cutoff.
Some by choice and some because the school recommends it.
It's very normal at the preschool level, and people aren't crying about it.
I have spoken to many many people about this and none of them regretted leaving back, but many regretted not leaving back.
It's usually for maturity reasons, not academic. In most cases.
Most kids do really well with it.
My child repeated this year and did amazing bh. I never shed a single tear about it or worried about his future. It's a normal and common thing. He was advanced academically but somewhat immature and the extra year did wonders for him.
Hatzlacha!

I think it may be different for boys and girls.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 7:42 pm
So I really feel like I understand you. My daughter who is now in 1st grade was pushed to repeat kindergarten. She has a Dec bday so right at the cutoff and she was just a tad weak academically. Also she’s petite. I have a Jan bday and was the youngest and did very well in school and always thought it was cool being the youngest so I really resisted and wasn’t happy. My daughter also does great socially bh and excellent behavior. I think I felt a little attacked that my daughters not bright enough maybe? After lots of back and forth I spoke to an acquaintance who works in early intervention and she painted it differently. School is different today, they’re very demanding and expect a lot from the kids. So even if I think it’s over the top, why not give my daughter the advantage and keep her back? Gotta work with the system. I just told her we’re doing k again because you have such great morahs and at that age it’s no big deal. Also keep in mind if somehow your child does amazing, they can technically skip primary… but I am so super grateful. My daughter is doing amazing, made new friends I happen to even prefer this class, and academically she breezes through. That wld not be the case if I pushed to keep her moving and didn’t repeat k… so I think definitely repeat

behappy2

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 7:58 pm
I think that in today's educational climate being the oldest is way better than being the youngest and girls schools more so than boys schools
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers