Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Everyone raises their rates sky high, but salary stays same
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 3:11 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
I'm an agency therapist as well. It's a horrible field. I don't even understand how it's possible for a job to have literally zero raises ever. The rate you start out as a new graduate is the same rate you will be getting 3 decades later.

Better to work in a public school system, imo. You'd be on the same salary scale as teachers, usually with steps every year or so, maybe not a lot, but with experience your salary continues to grow. In any case, I'm predicting teacher raises across the country as teachers are leaving their jobs left and right due to burn out. There's already a teacher shortage which is going to grow, states will be desperate enough to add decent raises and probably sign on bonuses. This will be good for anyone employed by a public school system.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 11:50 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Better to work in a public school system, imo. You'd be on the same salary scale as teachers, usually with steps every year or so, maybe not a lot, but with experience your salary continues to grow. In any case, I'm predicting teacher raises across the country as teachers are leaving their jobs left and right due to burn out. There's already a teacher shortage which is going to grow, states will be desperate enough to add decent raises and probably sign on bonuses. This will be good for anyone employed by a public school system.

Public school doesn't work for me for various reasons.

I understand that I won't make as much through an agency as I would with public school.

However, I still think it is crazy that agencies never raise the rate. I can work for the agency for 30 years, and I will retire making the exact same hourly rate as I did when I was a new grad. Is there any other field where that would happen?

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:18 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
So just out of curiosity, if one really has no intention of going anywhere (great coworker/work environment, conveniently located, great flexibility/hours…) do you recommend they lie about another offer or waste someone else’s time and effort making them interview you, negotiate a contract and typing up an offer (and maybe not hire someone else) when you have no actual intention of switching jobs?
No. you’re jeopardizing your current loyalty and trust. You’ll be the one who wanted out and will be the first one out comes to that. There was a good link here once about it.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:38 pm

I understand that I won't make as much through an agency as I would with public school.

However, I still think it is crazy that agencies never raise the rate. I can work for the agency for 30 years, and I will retire making the exact same hourly rate as I did when I was a new grad. Is there any other field where that would happen?

The issue is that this isn't really the agencies fault...it's the doe. They haven't raised the rates so the agencies can't raise the rates. If anything they lowered it now that agencies bid for a contract instead of rsas. You can switch to a different setting such as a private special Ed school, hospital or nursing home if you don't want to go to the public school setting.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 12:47 pm

I agree and it's even worse OOT. In my area they offer $46 an hour. That's criminal!!

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

I work for a public school in Maryland and they offered everyone who didn’t quit this year a $1000 retention bonus which isn’t much but at least something. But bh there was new legislation passed called the Maryland Blueprint for Education which is doing everything they can to get people to want to stay in teaching. So besides offering more suppprts to the school for let’s say special Ed, ELL students etc, they are really working on the salaries and mandated that salaries have to increase by 10% by 2024 and the minimum salary for a brand new teacher who only has a BA has to be minimum 60K. Iyh my salary should be going up by thousands next year if my board accepts the superintendent’s proposal for 4% COLA next year. If they don’t accept 4% COLA they’ll still need to be up 10% by 2024…

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:18 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I work for a public school in Maryland and they offered everyone who didn’t quit this year a $1000 retention bonus which isn’t much but at least something. But bh there was new legislation passed called the Maryland Blueprint for Education which is doing everything they can to get people to want to stay in teaching. So besides offering more suppprts to the school for let’s say special Ed, ELL students etc, they are really working on the salaries and mandated that salaries have to increase by 10% by 2024 and the minimum salary for a brand new teacher who only has a BA has to be minimum 60K. Iyh my salary should be going up by thousands next year if my board accepts the superintendent’s proposal for 4% COLA next year. If they don’t accept 4% COLA they’ll still need to be up 10% by 2024…

Wow, that's great!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:54 pm
There was so much nit picking on this thread about what you should do, but I just want to say I feel for you!!! Just getting a raise or a new job is not always an option. My landlord just raised our rent cuz all their expenses went up but neither of us can just get a raise out of the blue. Both need to wait till Sept if we're lucky.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics