Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
The Moon is Red- so beautiful!

mamaleh

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:40 pm
The lunar eclipse is going on now and the moon looks red. Such a beautiful sight! Ma rabu maasecha Hashem!

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:47 pm
Yikes. Not sure what a red moon means, but a red sun is supposed to portend bloodshed, according to Torah sources.

I remember sitting on the BP/WB bus on the day the Holtzbergs were murdered and looking out the window at the setting sun and being taken aback by how red it was. Instinctively I felt it didn't herald good news. A while later I heard of the Holtzberg murders.

Hashem yinkam damam.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:48 pm
I’m not seeing it Sad

TCR

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:48 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Yikes. Not sure what a red moon means, but a red sun is supposed to portend bloodshed, according to Torah sources.

I remember sitting on the BP/WB bus on the day the Holtzbergs were murdered and looking out the window at the setting sun and being taken aback by how red it was. Instinctively I felt it didn't herald good news. A while later I heard of the Holtzberg murders.

Hashem yinkam damam.

I learned in Nach that a red moon at the end of days means HaShem will soon destroy the reshaim. Forgot which sefer/Navi it was!

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:49 pm
Just Googled and came upon this from Chabad.org. Sounds much better than a red sun!

In describing future events, the prophet Joel foretells that “[G‑d] will set wonders in the heavens and the earth: blood and fire and pillars of smoke; the sun will turn to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and awesome Day of G‑d.1”

There is much discussion in the commentaries about the meaning of this prophecy. Many explain it to be allegorical. However, the biblical commentator Rabbi David Kimchi (known as the RaDaK, 1160–1235) explains that when there is a total eclipse, the moon appears dark; however, when it is only partially covered, it appears red like blood, symbolizing the fall of the wicked.2
In other words, yes, according to some, a blood moon is indeed an omen, but an omen of the downfall of the wicked.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....v.htm

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:05 pm
Here in Baltimore it's overcast — can't see the moon at all Sad

happytobemom

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:08 pm
Was gorgeous here in Lakewood!

PSmommy

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:09 pm
I'm looking all over in my area in Brooklyn and can't find the moon.
Does anyone in Brooklyn see it?

imafriend

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:12 pm
Can’t find it either.

Goldie613

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:13 pm
Can anyone post a picture or link to one, for those of us who can't go look right now?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 2:34 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Here in Baltimore it's overcast — can't see the moon at all Sad

I was on the phone with my son in Baltimore when it was supposed to happen (at least the timing in my area) and neither of us could see it due to the clouds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics