Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Raphael or Rafael?

Raphael or Rafael?
Raphael  
 28%  [ 39 ]
Rafael  
 71%  [ 98 ]
Total Votes : 137

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:56 am
Which spelling is better/more Jewish for the English name? We are Modern Orthodox and English name would be used a lot. We would use the nickname Rafi and רפאל for the Hebrew name.

singleagain

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 10:04 am
I'm not sure what you mean by "better/more Jewish"

But I do want to say, I worked with a Raffy and my non Jewish coworkers still sometimes say "ralphie"

fbc

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 10:06 am
If you are going to use Rafi as the English spelling, I'd stick with Rafael just for consistency's sake. It does happen to be the spelling I like better anyway.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 10:07 am
singleagain wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "better/more Jewish"

But I do want to say, I worked with a Raffy and my non Jewish coworkers still sometimes say "ralphie"

I mean that Raphael/Rafael is a name in many languages/cultures/religions. I would like to use the spelling with the correct connotation for our family - what American MO Jews would use.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 10:27 am
Rafoel

essie14

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 10:51 am
fbc wrote:
If you are going to use Rafi as the English spelling, I'd stick with Rafael just for consistency's sake. It does happen to be the spelling I like better anyway.

Agreed.
It will be way less confusing.
I do know a Raphy but I prefer Rafi and would use Rafael for the full name.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 10:53 am
I have a rafi and his passport says Rafi.
Iv gotten comments from non jewish nurses etc that its a beautiful name.

Supposedly its not a specifically jewish sounding name..?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 2:56 pm
I was never a fan of ph names. I like it with an f.
Just my personal opinion.

otstud

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 3:24 pm
I have a refael, nickname also rafi. I love the Hebrew version- hence the spelling

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:36 pm
Refael/Rafi

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 9:49 pm
I'm American MO and I would choose Raphael. To me, biblical name = biblical spelling (like Hannah even if you say Chana or Esther with the 'h').

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 11:22 pm
I’m not sure what you mean by biblical spelling? Hannah is how it’s spelled in the Christian bible.

In response to OP, and on a related note to this, I think Raphael is the more common non Jewish spelling and Rafael is therefore what I would use

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 11:26 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
I’m not sure what you mean by biblical spelling? Hannah is how it’s spelled in the Christian bible.

In response to OP, and on a related note to this, I think Raphael is the more common non Jewish spelling and Rafael is therefore what I would use

Nope but ok. Biblical= Jewish Biblical as in correct transliteration. Chana is pronounced with a "ch" as in "cheese" whereas Hannah (technically with a dot under the H) is the correct spelling for a guttural "ch" sound.

And the spelling Rafael is made up but definitely not the traditionally Biblical Jewish spelling.

Odelyah

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:00 am
I vote none of the above, but rather Rephael or Refael or Rephoel or Refoel. I'd probably do Rephael. I think the e goes with the sheva under the reish better than an a.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 2:49 am
I have a Rafi and a Hannah. Rafi is Raphael in English - it's elegant and international. Rafi every day, yes with the "f", but that's just a nickname quirk. Raphael is a name that crosses all borders and languages. Hatzlacha x
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names