Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can anyone tell me why I like tights but hate pantyhose?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:47 am
I love wearing black tights. I don't just mean the way they look. I mean that I am completely okay with the way they feel. I can even take naps in them.

Pantyhose, though--drive me crazy!!! I need to take them off as soon as I come home. I definitely can't take a nap wearing a pair. I feel "off" all summer because of this, feel like I limit myself to long skirts, etc.

If it was up to me I'd wear tights all summer. Tights are truly more comfortable for me, even in the heat, but it looks funny so I don't.

Anyway--why is this? The tights I wear are also synthetic material, I'm not wearing cotton tights. So what's the difference?

I am hoping that this line of inquiry will point me towards the brand or type of pantyhose that will finally be comfortable!

Thank you Smile

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:54 am
I think the tighter weave of tights is less irritating than the looser weave of pantyhose. Your skin feels fewer different threads, so you're not itchy. That's my theory, anyhow.

IMO

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:07 am
Following!

salt

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:09 am
How long are your 'not long' skirts?
Can you wear knee-highs?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:14 am
I'm the same way and I actually cope by wearing thicker stockings than I would otherwise - 40 denier when 10-20 is considered tznius in my community - the Memoi brand has a purple one that is the only thing I can tolerate. Sounds counterintuitive but it works for me!! I still don't love them as much as tights but it's infinitely better.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I love wearing black tights. I don't just mean the way they look. I mean that I am completely okay with the way they feel. I can even take naps in them.

Pantyhose, though--drive me crazy!!! I need to take them off as soon as I come home. I definitely can't take a nap wearing a pair. I feel "off" all summer because of this, feel like I limit myself to long skirts, etc.

If it was up to me I'd wear tights all summer. Tights are truly more comfortable for me, even in the heat, but it looks funny so I don't.

Anyway--why is this? The tights I wear are also synthetic material, I'm not wearing cotton tights. So what's the difference?

I am hoping that this line of inquiry will point me towards the brand or type of pantyhose that will finally be comfortable!

Thank you Smile

Im the same way. I dont mind the feel of black tights, but stockings make my legs GO CRAZY!!!

Milas company stockings has a 10 denier one, that is actually comfortable and I can barely feel it. Its my lifesaver. All the others are awful

imasinger

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:22 am
What's the cotton/poly blend on the tights vs the hose?

Are the hose Control Top?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:30 am
They feel different. They are made of different material. Tachlis, there are nude tights you can buy that will look like stockings and wear instead (I'm assuming you've already tried opaque as opposed to sheer.)

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:04 am
I don't like tights period but can handle black tights as long as I have to. However I despise the nude tights I am forced to wear in the summers. I love the summer and nice weather but dread this time of year when I am forced to be uncomfortable for many hours every day.

The only solution is to wear long skirts daily so you don't have to wear any tights (or can wear knee highs if you need to).

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:06 am
Thanks everyone who responded, I will try (or consider) all suggestions!

In answer to some questions:

It's not the control top that's bothering me--I wear control top black tights all the time, and I actually love that they don't roll down. I have a pair of pantyhose on right now that is technically control top but I guess not much, or it's a bad fit, and it's driving me nuts by falling down.

I haven't tried opaque nude tights. Won't that look really funny on me? I am not otherwise dressed in a way that is usually compatible with that look...

I have no unopened packages of tights now to check the composition, but I'll take a look next time I'm in the store. I don't get the impression that it's cotton at all though. The brand I wear lately and really like is Melas if anyone knows...

I'll check out Milas and Memoi. What are they like on top?

Once I'm asking for reviews--Are they slippery (hard to wear heels) or the opposite (more likely to make skirts cling)?

Oh--Is Milas the same as Melas or is it something different?

Every now and then I try knee highs or thigh highs, but I can never get into them. a) I do like the smoothing feeling of something on top, I feel more dressed and like my clothes lay better. b) The "change" from pantyhose to bare legs is something that I find distracting and annoying. And if anything it's my feet on the bottom that really can't stand that synthetic fabric whatever it is that drives me nuts. If I could wear footless pantyhose I'd probably be okay.

Thanks everyone! It's nice to know I'm not alone.

momallhours

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:06 am
Me too! I still have not found a comfortable brand

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:09 am
The control top does not have as much give on pantyhose. The hose is very thin and I'm conscious of that all day regarding snagging it on something.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:00 am
Try wearing bike shorts underneath - makes all the difference for me

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:16 am
I’m the same. I love black tights. Hate wearing stockings.
Maybe it’s bec I feel like I have to take care of the stockings. Wear shoes all day with it. Tights I don’t think about.

Last year I bought cheap new highs at Walmart and wore with longer skirts and was so much more comfortable.

Gracie

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:35 am
Im the totally the same OP. As of 2 years ago I basically only wear long skirts/ dresses in the summer so I can wear socks. Pantyhose are tortuous! No solutions unfortunately but avidly following

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:09 am
I'm the same way. Love my black tights, hate hate the nude. I wear memoi for both.
I don't tolerate knee highs either.
I wear jockey shorts with the nude tights, it helps, but still nowhere as comfortable as black tights.
I'm literally in a bad mood all day when I wear nude tights. The top drives me crazy when it constantly rolls down, they itch all the way down my legs, and my toes are always freezing in nude tights.
I'm actually so tempted to wear black tights with long skirts, with white sneakers. My only reservation is if my skirt lifts up when I walk it will look so odd!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:11 am
Melas are the best. Only ones I can wear.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:06 pm
Black tights are more stretchy and forgiving. Pantyhose feels like I’m locked in. Try buying a size bigger and no control top.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:22 pm
Tights is usually microfiber and pantyhose is Lycra. The brand melas makes microfiber pantyhose and it’s the only one I can wear. It is quiet thick though.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:37 pm
I find that pantyhose are more sheer, so in order to make them less probe to snagging or tearing, manufacturers use a higher percentage of nylon in pantyhose. Nylon is strong, but it is also somewhat scratchy.

Tights are more substantial, so manufacturers can use a higher percentage of less strong but softer fabric like silky microfiber.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics