Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Camp options

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 12 2022, 12:17 pm
I am going to be brutally honest here, and I hope everyone can be respectful in return.

I have a 15 year old son with severe adhd. He is on meds, which help greatly. When he is good he’s great, but when he’s not (everyone has off days, right?) he REALLY not.
For the past 3 summers, he has gone to a particular sleep away camp that has a more therapeutic division. He did ok there, but he also had a few issues there.
This summer we applied to a different camp, as he is older and most of the boys there were much younger than him.
I spoke to the director of the camp yesterday, and he had a few concerns, but was leaving it up to us what we want to do. He has people he knows who work in the yeshiva my son goes to, and he spoke to them. (I have no issue with that.) They said the same thing I did- when he’s good he’s good, but when he’s bot he’s really not. They also told him that he smokes and vapes (I wasn’t keeping it a secret, but there’s nowhere to put it on the application) and that he doesn’t always go to shachris, mincha, mishmar, etc. Regarding the smoking and vaping, he said we (my husband, my son, and myself) have to understand that if he is caught doing either in camp, he will immediately be sent home, no second chances. With regard to the other things, he said that this is a camp where the boys really need to stick to the routine, and work together, and he’s just not sure he is capable of that.
Obviously I don’t want to send him to a camp that he may get sent home from, that would be devastating for him.
So now, my question is….
Are there sleep away camps for boys going into 10th grade where the boys may be penalized IN CAMP but not sent home, for not going to davening, learning, etc. occasionally? A camp that does outdoor things like hiking, etc. Maybe a more “exciting” type of camp? Something where they learn, but it’s not the majority of the day. (It’s not the majority of the day at either of these two camps) I think I’m really looking for a more not typical, maybe more out of the box type of camp?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:43 am
Bumping this up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 6:46 am
I don't much about it, but yaalozu is a outdoorsy camp

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:06 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I don't much about it, but yaalozu is a outdoorsy camp

That’s the new one we applied to….they didn’t reject him, but I can’t send him there knowing that he might get kicked out. (It’s a great camp, and I have absolutely no bad feelings towards the camp.)

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:13 am
Kaylie?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:14 am
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
Kaylie?

I know nothing about it except that I have friends who have kids who go there. Can you tell me a bit about it. Can they handle kids with severe ADHD? A kid who may get defiant, or out of control even when on meds?

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know nothing about it except that I have friends who have kids who go there. Can you tell me a bit about it. Can they handle kids with severe ADHD? A kid who may get defiant, or out of control even when on meds?

I don't know too many specific details about the camp, but I have heard from people who send there with children that have various needs that it is a very well run progtam with a lot of support services in place. Maybe call them and speak to them honestly about your child's needs and see what they have to say.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:30 am
I will, thank you!!
If anyone else has any ideas, I’m open to all options.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:33 am
Yagilu is Yaalozu’s alternate option…

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:34 am
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Yagilu is Yaalozu’s alternate option…

You guys are awesome :-) that’s where he was originally

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:53 am
It's worth a call to Kaylie. In between kids can do very well there,and they can be flexible amd understanding about differences. You can also set a behavior plan with them. Caveats: I wouldn't call it specifically outdoorsy. They have sports, and their lake and go carts etc, and other activities like nature and art/woodworking and gameroom (which has actual videogames). And the kids are given choices. Also, the older bunks can be a mix of ages. What grade is he leaving? But there's also a better chance for the older bunks to still have some space left.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:56 am
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
It's worth a call to Kaylie. In between kids can do very well there,and they can be flexible amd understanding about differences. You can also set a behavior plan with them. Caveats: I wouldn't call it specifically outdoorsy. They have sports, and their lake and go carts etc, and other activities like nature and art/woodworking and gameroom (which has actual videogames). And the kids are given choices. Also, the older bunks can be a mix of ages. What grade is he leaving? But there's also a better chance for the older bunks to still have some space left.

Thanks!! Outdoorsy is not a must, especially if they have other things like go carts, zip lines, etc.
he is currently in 9th grade.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:01 am
Did you try xtreme?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:07 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
Did you try xtreme?

Nope, can you tell me more about it? I’ve heard of it, and I have a cousin who worked there for a few years, but I don’t really know much.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Nope, can you tell me more about it? I’ve heard of it, and I have a cousin who worked there for a few years, but I don’t really know much.

https://projectextreme.org/camp-extreme/

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:31 am
Oh well, kaylie is full. I will look into extreme. Also, someone just mentioned camp shores how to me. I’ve never heard of it, does anyone know anything about it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics