Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming after Reb Shimon- Update!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 1:23 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Following, can I add the name Shimon to another name after
For a grandfather?

Dh had a grandfather named shimon and another name . ( Everyone thinks my son is named after r shimon)
I have a sil that had her first after 5 years but was a girl . Then after another 5 years had a boy. She was in Miron the year before . They asked what name to give and were told only shimon ( not grandfather name) because this baby was in r shimon zechus.
I have a neighbor that had her first boy on lag baomer after 5 girls . Of course she named him shimon even though she had plenty other names to give.He's getting peyos this week iyh

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 1:29 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
I had the same question.
But I was told that it's a no.
You don't play around with a promise to reb shimon. (I did not ask about others, but would probably get the same 'no')

And what if you have a girl? Do you have to name her Shimona?

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 2:26 am
How does your declaration that you will use a particular name influence your ability to get pregnant? Who gave R. Shimon bar Yochai the ability to make women have children And why would he care what name you give?

Blasphemy and witchcraft..

Rachel Gefen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:34 am
Your kid.
Why is it other's people's business what u name him?

WitchKitty

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:55 am
That I can promise the name but without making 'terms'.
If I promise I cannot say 'only if it's within x amount of time' or 'only if it's a boy next' etc.

if I promise a Shimon, I will have to give the name for my next boy whenever that may be and even though I needed IVF to get there and even if I have a girl first..

Why?
Wouldn't that make more sense? If it works within a year or so, great. If not, I'm not left with a promise for my whole life that I might forget when I have a first boy in 10 years.
Less chance of forgetting the promise, or not being able to fulfil it (Like, I don't know, getting remarried to someone named Shimon)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:18 am
I'm chasidish. SIF. We gave Shimon after an IVF cycle success. People were like, oh after R'Shimon, nice.

a2z

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:43 am
A. ask your rebbi
B. Whoever has a problem with any name anyone else gives is welcome to go jump in a lake

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:18 am
Rachel Gefen wrote:
Your kid.
Why is it other's people's business what u name him?

Absolutely agree!

It's not about other. They will all be happy and ok, no issue there. It's more my issue. I feel like even though people obviously realize that my family is small, this is an announcement of sorts that I'm dealing with IF. It makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Like maybe I don't belong in that class. My other family members who gave the name didn't have kids for years. It's more my own issue...

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:19 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I'm chasidish. SIF. We gave Shimon after an IVF cycle success. People were like, oh after R'Shimon, nice.

thank you!

So happy for you, loads of naches.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:21 am
a2z wrote:
A. ask your rebbi
B. Whoever has a problem with any name anyone else gives is welcome to go jump in a lake

I'll ask my rav iyh.

No one needs to jump into a lake lol. Bh have normal family and friends. Literally no one cares. It's just for me. I feel vulnerable and exposed to know that everyone knows that I'm having IF issues.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:21 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Why?
Wouldn't that make more sense? If it works within a year or so, great. If not, I'm not left with a promise for my whole life that I might forget when I have a first boy in 10 years.
Less chance of forgetting the promise, or not being able to fulfil it (Like, I don't know, getting remarried to someone named Shimon)

That's what me thinking... But women are writing to ask rav so I will iyh.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:51 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Why?
as I said, I also had this question.
I'm repeating what I was told. You do not play around with Reb Shimon.

I heard a story from my friend, the granddaughter. When her grandmother was married for approximately 2 years she went to Miron with family And they were telling her to promise a name as a zechus to have a baby. Her grandmother was already pregnant but didn't want to share the secret just yet. So she agreed to promise a name thinking that it's 'just a show' since it's not relevant to her. She asked a Gadol afterwards if she needs to give the name Shimon, and he told her that she should. She went on to have many more children afterwards but the oldest is Shimon.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:52 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
is that what I said?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:53 am
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
How does your declaration that you will use a particular name influence your ability to get pregnant? Who gave R. Shimon bar Yochai the ability to make women have children And why would he care what name you give?

Blasphemy and witchcraft..
I cannot believe that you never heard of this before?!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:55 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

I'd actually love to have a girl. Unfortunately have a lot of close family members to name after. Would also love to have a boy though lol.

synthy

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:40 am
I know someone who named his first son after Reb Shimon - no if issues, he just felt close to the tzaddik. So it's not so uncommon that it'll announce your if.

Reality

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:11 am

She's not the only one. I know people go to daven in Meron. Never knew R' Shimon bar Yochai had any special connections to women with infertility getting pregnant.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 6:48 am
I wrote this on another thread, but coming here makes me feel like I came full circle.

I started this thread before lag be'omer, going through IF, and wondering if I should promise a name after R Shimon.

Bh I am now 6 weeks pregnant!! (4 weeks since mikvah, but doc says considered 6 weeks.) I am so grateful bh.

So did I promise to give the name?

I ended up going to bais hachaim on lag beomer to my mothers kever. I davened that in zchus of the heilige reb shimon and my dear mother I should be helped with a healthy child. I didn't promise the name but I definitely was davening in the zchus of R shimon. It was too hard for me to actually promise.

I do hope that if it's a boy I should give the name. And if a girl after my mother a"h.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 6:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wrote this on another thread, but coming here makes me feel like I came full circle.

I started this thread before lag be'omer, going through IF, and wondering if I should promise a name after R Shimon.

Bh I am now 6 weeks pregnant!! (4 weeks since mikvah, but doc says considered 6 weeks.) I am so grateful bh.

So did I promise to give the name?

I ended up going to bais hachaim on lag beomer to my mothers kever. I davened that in zchus of the heilige reb shimon and my dear mother I should be helped with a healthy child. I didn't promise the name but I definitely was davening in the zchus of R shimon. It was too hard for me to actually promise.

I do hope that if it's a boy I should give the name. And if a girl after my mother a"h.

Wow! Thanks for the update!
May all go smoothly with an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby!

I am going through infertility 10+ years. I know that even with treatments it's a miracle to get pregnant..
So please feel free to ignore my question.. was this a natural conception?
Again, to me, it's a miracle either way!

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 6:53 am

I’ve never heard of this either. R’ Shimon is not the one who decides when someone will have a baby. Neither is any other tzadik or gadol one goes to, or whose kever one goes to. It comes from HaShem. We daven to these people (or ask for a Bracha from these people) that they should daven and intercede on our behalf. We don’t ask THEM for a child. This is how I was always taught.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names