Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Whats longest to let newborn go between feedings, if happy?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:29 am
How many hours would you let a 2 week old baby go, at night, between feedings, if baby is content?

tia

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:31 am
3. You don’t want their blood sugar levels to drop.

happy chick

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:36 am
I've had my babies go up to 6 hours between feeds. They will let you know when they're hungry.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:37 am
3 hours
Max four

Now at 6 weeks my baby can go max 5 hours

Fave

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:39 am
6 hours. Enjoy it while it lasts

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:40 am
During the night 6 hours or so...

challahchallah

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:45 am
Per my pediatrician and midwife, I do not wake a sleeping baby overnight once they’re back to their birthweight (which by 2 weeks mine were). During the day, I am very on top of it to offer every 2-3 hours max.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:51 am
Ask your doctor not random people who don’t know anything about your baby’s weight and health

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:56 am
During the night I let them sleep, and at day I feed quite often. Just make sure to be on top of their weight gain, make sure they are doing well and are healthy. If your baby is underweight, a preemie or any other health issues then that would factor in. When one of my babies was refusing to eat at all, I'm pretty sure I would wake her at night to try get her to eat.

keym

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:57 am
You just want to be careful not to confuse content and dehydrated.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:57 am
4hrs during the day, 6 hrs at night.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:02 pm
We must have very different newborns. I don’t remember either of my babies ever going more than 2 hours between feeding.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:05 pm
I don't wake sleeping babies. I just don't. If they sleep then I figure they need the sleep.

My second child went to sleep when he was about four hours old and didn't wake up until about seven hours later. I offered him the breast once or twice but he was obviously exhausted from the work of being born. Of course, it was a while before he slept such a stretch again.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Mon, May 16 2022, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

mushkamothers

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:10 pm
"Sleeping through the night" is about a 5 hour stretch. But only one. A 2wk old should not be sleeping 12 hours without feeding. I've also woken up my newborns if I was getting engorged.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:13 pm
They can do one stretch of 6 hours in a 24 hour period. If you want them to do a long stretch at night make sure you feed often during the day. This is only for a baby that is at a good weight and gaining.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:17 pm
I nurse on demand, & let sleep as long as they want ( within reason of course. If I get worried I wake them ). One baby slept through the night from birth( like 6 hours) I remember waking in a panic some mornings sending dh to check on baby as I was afraid to look into the crib. I had several young ones then & just slept from exhaustion if baby didn't wake me.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 12:59 pm
The medical recommendation I was given by all the doctors and hospitals that I've used over the years is up to 3 hours during the day and just one 5 hour stretch at night, minimum 8 feedings in a 24 hour period. After 6 weeks, assuming everything is normal, you can let them sleep longer at night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics