Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help me survive kitchen renovation - temporary kitchen

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:23 pm
Please if anyone has advice I’ll take it!
I have a table set up one for dairy and one for meat
Have Betty Crocker pizza machine for dairy and for meat
Single burner
Crock pot for meat
And toaster oven for dairy
What else should I buy to make this easy as possible?
Thanks!

mushkamothers

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:25 pm
An instant pot for meat - make rice, soups, mashed potatoes, hard boiled eggs, stews... saute... you do have that single burner though

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:27 pm
We had (not purchased special for the renovations)
a milchig microwave
A milchig plug in griddle (pancakes, french toast)
a milchig toaster oven (frozen pizza...)
A hot water kumkum(mini urn) (oatmea l, soup...)
a fleishig microwave
A mini fridge

We also had our oven hooked up to a gas line in a different location of the house. Hardly used it during the week..was kind of impractical

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 4:37 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
An instant pot for meat - make rice, soups, mashed potatoes, hard boiled eggs, stews... saute... you do have that single burner though

I’ve never used one but that sounds cool!
I also would leave easy meal/supper ideas

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 5:09 pm
Takeout LOL

Cleaning up without a sink is really hard even with paper plates and plastic cutlery

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:44 pm
Put some kind of water source, like one of those large water bottles with a pump.

Eselle13

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:47 pm
A hot water urn

amother
Gray

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 7:50 pm
Gotta say, your title is kinda off putting. People have real problems, you’re worried how you’ll “survive” a situation you put yourself into for the sake of getting something better?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:08 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Gotta say, your title is kinda off putting. People have real problems, you’re worried how you’ll “survive” a situation you put yourself into for the sake of getting something better?

You must have never experienced it then. If you can’t relate, it must be that only real problems are worth complying about. Living through construction is very very difficult, even when self imposed.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:33 pm
My contractor was really nice, he hooked up my stove every night before he left. For lunch I had an electric burner and probably an urn.

devorah1231

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:50 pm
Breakfast can be cold.
Lunch you can do most things with a sandwich maker. I prefer without triangles but with makes nice sized pancakes for kids to hold. Use it for sandwiches, pancakes, eggs, heating up leftover pasta. Actually betty crocker presumably does all that stuff ...
Supper you can do most things in a pot on the burner. You can even make potato kugel in a frying pan. Same for french fries.

We live like this a few weeks of the year (with less actually) on pesach and vacation.

Get some containers/plastic drawers or shelving to store pots and mixing bowls. Keep a bowl of water handy while cooking and submerge utensils until you go wash them in the bathroom so it takes just cold water to clean.

What types of food can't you make without an oven? Be specific I may have suggestions 😃

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:53 pm
Ya for me it’s the sink! What do you do? Now that I’m thinking about it, that is going to be the hardest for me

devorah1231

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:59 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
Ya for me it’s the sink! What do you do? Now that I’m thinking about it, that is going to be the hardest for me

For pesach really hard actually because bathroom sink is very small. We bought a set of three different color basins, one each dairy/meat pareve. Put in bathroom sink. On vacation if the sink is big enough, use flat sink inserts. Or use cold/lukewarm water.

If you soak any dish in soapy water in a basin, not that hard to get clean.

If this is a long term thing, at least a month, I'd suggest buying a three drawer thing like https://www.target.com/p/3-dra.....aw.ds
Label each drawer dairy/meat and when you take pots out to use, remove the drawer, fill with water, submerge pots and dishes until you can scrub.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:09 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

My friend recently had a kitchen fire. She's been living without a kitchen for weeks. It's not always a "choice". It's been really hard for her.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please if anyone has advice I’ll take it!
I have a table set up one for dairy and one for meat
Have Betty Crocker pizza machine for dairy and for meat
Single burner
Crock pot for meat
And toaster oven for dairy
What else should I buy to make this easy as possible?
Thanks!

In the crockpot you can make
Rotisserie chicken
Meatballs
Stuffed peppers
Meatloaf log over cubed sweet potatoes

In the Betty Crocker
Cubed dark chicken with schwarma spice
Chicken stir fry
Burgers
Salmon

Some ideas here
https://betweencarpools.com/be.....ever/
https://www.kosher.com/lifesty.....-1697

pause

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 9:48 pm
Do you have a storage freezer in a different part of the house? Fill it up before you start renovations.

You can buy a single burner and use pots or disposable pans to warm up food, especially soup.

If you have an outdoor grill, now's the time to use it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen