Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Frum Girls School

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:19 pm
Experienced mothers of girls in New York, I can use your advice. My oldest is 3.5 amd we are starting to look into girl schools. I grew up locally but have been told that schools have changed alot since my times. I keep hearing the names Drav meir bya by 18th avenue bnos yisroel. Husband working but kovea itim. White shirt no TV but allow jewish video. I want a warm school love of torah and mitzvot but with decent education if possible. Any of these options fit the bill?

amother
Holly

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:22 pm
I'm confused- are you applying now for your daughter to enter kindergarten in sept 2022?

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:24 pm
You’re applying now for next year? You’re a little late. And you grew up in the area, are you familiar with the schools?
What you’re describing seems apropos for those schools, but I’m just not getting a clear handle on this. You wrote “mitzvot”, nothing wrong with that, but very atypical of these schools

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 3:26 pm
Those are good solid frum schools. Although most would say mitzvos in those schools. Are you sefardi?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:42 pm
I'm applying for 2023. My daughter was born end of December so I have 1 more year to decide. I'm Ashkenazi though I don't know if that makes a difference in terms of schools. Are you saying all those schools are the same type?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:44 pm
Bais yaakov of boro park sounds like a great fit for you and they are still accepting for September. They have transportation to flatbush and marine park and just about anywhere in between and beyond.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm applying for 2023. My daughter was born end of December so I have 1 more year to decide. I'm Ashkenazi though I don't know if that makes a difference in terms of schools. Are you saying all those schools are the same type?

Many similarities some slight differences.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Bnos yisroel and 18th avenue are yeshivish with mostly kollel/chinuch/kodesh parents. A lot of chaim Berlin families. They have one class per grade with 30+ students in each class. Hard to get in unless you have pull.

BYA is more diverse with parents of all professions, some white shirt and some not. It's a simpler crowd. I think drav meir is similar to BYA but a bit of a fancier crowd. Both of those are not hard to get into.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 10:48 pm
Bais Yakov of the east side
Small classes, warm, friendly, oot feel but has vans to brooklyn... good education

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 11:22 pm
OP:

What school did you go to?

That would give us an indication, unless you are looking for something different than you went to.

No prob at all about the the havara “mitzvot” instead of “mitzvos”. Its just atypical in yeshivish ashkenazi schools unless you are either:
1. Sefardi (which you are not) or
2. Went to a more modern Brooklyn school as a child (such as Shulamith).

Most of the schools you named have a specific “type” on either end but the middle of each can easily slip between any of those schools.

You have to go down and see what your fit is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries