Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need fashion advise- Are shells in or out?
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:02 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I just bought a cute leather vest? Is it nerdy if I wear a shell underneath it? What am I supposed to wear?

Sounds like it needs a t-shirt which is what the right shell is, a well fitted crew neck.

pause

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:06 am
The shell "look" is out.

Doesn't mean you should throw out all your shells.

Shells are still worn in the exact same shade under a high neck short sleeve top (such that the shell isn't sticking out at the neck AND at the sleeves) or high neck sleeveless or short sleeve dress, and as tees under vests and cardigans and jumpers and v-neck dresses.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:14 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
This!! I love when posters consider themselves in style and trendy and then attach links from shein and suggest shopping by hm and asos! LOL nobody I know would wear anything from shein or these stores. They’re all in pricey designer things and expensive stuff from Jewish stores. Not meli and junees. And they wouldn’t be caught dead wearing a chiffon blouse especially ones that ties on a bow at the collar Can't Believe It And they’re still very much wearing shells. Who am I taking fashion advice from? Can't Believe It

I did suggest ASOS and HM and other European sites because 1) they tend to have more tznius clothing than American stores 2) I know a lot of 20-somethings (Jewish and not) who wear those stores. I never said it was designer. You're conflating multiple issues. I said young people shop there because it's trendy. I said nothing about it being designer. Some young girls may prefer designer clothes, but many cannot afford it and want to be trendy or whatever regardless. Just because you don't know anyone who would wear it or blouses doesn't mean anything. You don't know everyone. It's weird you felt the need to be so mocking. Hope it makes you feel good about yourself.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:18 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Great! So let’s be friends and let all the shein and hm wearing shell less people laugh at us Hi

Wow, you're being really gross and classist. Sad to think if you knew me or my friends you would look down on us for only being able to afford ASOS or something. How is this attitude compatible with Judaism?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:22 am
imaima wrote:
It is tragic to be so caught up in one’s own bubble not to notice a variety of new amazing appropriate and modest styles available all around, instead of the good old pinafore+shell look.

Oh brother.

What has our society devolved into?

No, it's not tragic.

Look around and spot real issues, real tragedy. Clothing choices are never tragic.

That this actually needs to be said .... Tragic.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:25 am
This whole thread is depressing. The approach some women have to clothing & fashion..... Serve G-d. Not your wardrobe. If you are into fashion, that's great. I also like to keep up with trends. But it's not as big a deal as you think. One's tombstone will neve be inscribed with their fashion choices.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:33 am
We need Moshiach.

I would hope that fellow frum women have a healthier attitude towards materialism than displayed on this thread. What's the point of religion if you're so immersed in materialism?

Incredibly sad.

imaima

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:35 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
This whole thread is depressing. The approach some women have to clothing & fashion..... Serve G-d. Not your wardrobe. If you are into fashion, that's great. I also like to keep up with trends. But it's not as big a deal as you think. One's tombstone will neve be inscribed with their fashion choices.

Maybe not but their toddlers‘ fashion choices… Scratching Head who knows?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:35 am
imaima wrote:
Maybe not but their toddlers‘ fashion choices… Scratching Head who knows?

Funny but not really

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:51 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
Wow, you're being really gross and classist. Sad to think if you knew me or my friends you would look down on us for only being able to afford ASOS or something. How is this attitude compatible with Judaism?

Oh so I’m looking down at ASOS and it’s gross but to call my shells tragic is fine? And just for the record, I have no problem with ppl wearing Ali and shein or whatever suits their fancy. I’m at all not a designer brand snob. But why do they get to throw an attitude at what they perceive not the height of fashion

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:14 am
I apologize if this was already said, but by just skimming through some of the posts I feel like the following is important to note:

There is nothing wrong with being trendy and enjoying wearing the latest styles. But it is extremely important to keep in mind that one's self worth should never be determined by what one wears or what other people happen to be wearing. It's sometimes difficult to remember this when we are surrounded by a society that tells us the exact opposite.

mazelandbracha

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:27 am
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
I apologize if this was already said, but by just skimming through some of the posts I feel like the following is important to note:

There is nothing wrong with being trendy and enjoying wearing the latest styles. But it is extremely important to keep in mind that one's self worth should never be determined by what one wears or what other people happen to be wearing. It's sometimes difficult to remember this when we are surrounded by a society that tells us the exact opposite.

Well said.🙂

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:50 am
All the people that are upset at the use of the word tragic need to chill. It’s just an expression and not needed to be taken literally.

Just like people who are ‘sick’ of prairie dresses or ‘devastated’ that their favorite shirts are no longer in style.

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:05 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

https://us.shein.com/Tie-Neck-.....D_BwE

I got rid of mine 20 years ago. Oh well.

pause

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:05 am
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
All the people that are upset at the use of the word tragic need to chill. It’s just an expression and not needed to be taken literally.

Just like people who are ‘sick’ of prairie dresses or ‘devastated’ that their favorite shirts are no longer in style.

Yep. Hyperbole, anyone?

I thought use of the word "tragic" in this context was out of place and therefore funny.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:06 am
SuperWify wrote:
Some things you can wear instead of a shell-

-Under a weekday or casual jumper: ribbed tee
-On top of a short sleeve or sleeveless dress: cardigan or blazer
-under a dressy top or dress: blouse or shirt

How are people wearing cardigans in 80 degree weather?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:00 pm
What is I need something under my see thru long sleeve shirt? What if my shirt from Junee doesn’t cover my collarbone? What if my dress is a drop above my elbows? I should wear it as is instead of wearing a shell?? My tzniut is more important than looking tragic or nerdy. And those prairie dresses can be see through or show the collarbone.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:33 pm
I didn’t know that this question was going to cause so much sensitivities in either direction. I should have posed this question as a poll had I know it would become like this.

What I have taken from this is that just do what you want and not worry what the next person thinks! I happen to really like my dresses that need shells and will continue wearing them if I choose. I have a couple of items in my closet that I refuse to part with because I love them and know it will eventually come back. I’m not going to wear them because it’s clearly not in style. I like to look in style but don’t necessarily follow all the trends. I think dressing well in nice pieces that flatter our body shape can happen at any budget. The price tag on our clothing and accessories doesn’t define us and make us any less then the next person.
We shouldn’t look down on each other and this is not the time for this. We’re Jews and need unity not more things to set us apart from each other. We all serve Hashem differently and our levels of tznius vary but that’s ok. We need mashiach.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:38 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
How are people wearing cardigans in 80 degree weather?

I have a navy knee length button front that is modal cotton material. Very light breezy fabric. I wear it open with a straight denim skirt, short sleeve navy modal shell tucked in, and a wide belt.

miami85

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:46 pm
I have no idea what is "in" or "out" or how anyone can tell because in my mind it's "whatever you like" from Amazon, Shein or Aliexpress.

To me a lot of these paisley peasant/boho chich dresses I'm seeing these days were the epitome of nerdy growing up, so I don't get their appeal, but to each their own.
Page 10 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 9  10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics