Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Inexpensive ways to upgrade house
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:12 am
we are not doing big renovations now, but would love to make my old house seem a bit more modern.

what are some inexpensive ways to do this?

starting with just the main floor. im find with the bedroom level for now

Mommy1:)

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:20 am
following! OP, I guess it depends on your price range - what is inexpensive for you. Door knobs and a new door and new blinds/drapes might be a start - but it depends on your budget and if you/family are DIYers or would need to hire someone...

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:22 am
This is not inexpensive - but not a renovation either

Fresh coat of light colored paint
New rugs and couch throw pillows
Nice mirror and console near front door
New door knobs
New centerpiece for dining room table

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:23 am
totally not diy type. might be able to swing changing a door knob (but maybe not!)

I was thinking of knobs. but any "stylish/modern" ones ive seen have been over $50 each knob! I would need a lot of knobs! anyone have links to modern look knobs that are under $50?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:24 am
Switching the light fixtures (and switch plates) is a quick and easy fix. Dated fixtures age the entire room. You can go as cheap or expensive as you like.

If the budget allows for new window treatments, that's also a high-impact change.

amother
Moccasin

Door knobs, lighting, paint, wall art, rug, modern vases, small furniture

Last edited by amother on Tue, May 17 2022, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

painting is an idea. right now I have an ugly cream around my house which we put in without thinking when we moved in ages ago.

what colors are popular now? exact colors, not just "gray" (like give me a benjamin moore name)

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:26 am
would appreciate links if you guys have the time. this project is important to me. will make a big difference to me if I can pull this off.

I have an ugly entrance table. links to a new one? it would need to me under $150

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:27 am
window treatments are a fortune! where can I buy new ones that wont be crazy price. I have a lot of windows

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
totally not diy type. might be able to swing changing a door knob (but maybe not!)

I was thinking of knobs. but any "stylish/modern" ones ive seen have been over $50 each knob! I would need a lot of knobs! anyone have links to modern look knobs that are under $50?

What color are your door hinges? Brass or Satin Nickel?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:31 am
Can you post pictures so we can give you ideas?
Where are you located?

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
painting is an idea. right now I have an ugly cream around my house which we put in without thinking when we moved in ages ago.

what colors are popular now? exact colors, not just "gray" (like give me a benjamin moore name)

Look at:

Benjamin Moore
-Classic Gray
-Gray Owl
-Chantilly Lace
-Balboa Mist
-Revere Pewter

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

https://www.build.com/kwikset-.....NLfJK

amother
Tiffanyblue

Go onto aliexpress . You can find tons of ideas . Window treatments, lighting , door knows etc.

ra_mom

If you're not a DIYer, and don't have a big budget, things like throw pillows on the couch and paintings hung up can make a big difference. Changing lampshades on fixtures. Kitchen cabinet hardware.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:40 am
You can buy cheap hardware on alie and probably even Shein. New, modern light fixtures do a ton to elevate the space. Obviously new paint and try to touch up whatever furniture looks like it is at its end. You can also look at new furniture at the secondhand shops and get them repainted professionally. If you love to diy, there is so much more to do.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Best way to do it is to google most popular wall colors and go from there.

If you add gold tone elements, it will look more modern and expensive. Even gold accessories will do the trick. Gold is very in right now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:46 am
we have a decently prices handman who can help us with diy projects. so id love those ideas too.

how do I know if a product is good on ali or shein? I don't have time or interest in making returns

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:46 am
Mommy1:) wrote:
following! OP, I guess it depends on your price range - what is inexpensive for you. Door knobs and a new door and new blinds/drapes might be a start - but it depends on your budget and if you/family are DIYers or would need to hire someone...

Retrofitting a new door in an old house can be a real pain. I wouldn't start with new doors. But doorknobs yes.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:48 am
We are doing this (slowly) - choose color themes for each room - a main color and some accent colors. Paint walls - can be just accent walls. Add accessories and wall decor - photos, paintings, hanging or regular fake plants pots, big mirrors (look at ikea and other inexpensive stores), shelving, cushions/pillows, chair covers.

Upgrade door handles, kitchen cabinet handles, light fittings.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics