Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Shepards pie with leftover meatball mixture?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:52 am
I made too much of the chopped meat mixture for meatballs. Any way to make shepherds pie out of the remaining mixture and freeze it for another day’s supper?

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:53 am
Why not?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:55 am
You can crumble it into a manwich sauce and bring to a bubble, then serve over spaghetti or other pasta.
Shepards pie should be fine too. Best to eat it fresh (otherwise it's overcooking 3x, meatballs, pie, defrost and reheat).

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, May 17 2022, 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total

tweety1

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:56 am
You can make shepards pie. Very easy but ime shepards pie doesn't freeze well. Put it in a Sautee pan with a little oil. Cook it constantly mixing to break it up. Add in a little of bar b q sauce and ketchup or tomato paste. Put it in a pan. Top it with mashed potatoes. I saw a tip to add 1 egg into the meat mixture so it doesn't fall apart. Bake for an hr or untill top is golden.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:04 am
Technically, shepherd's pie is made with mutton, and what you are talking about is cottage pie, which is made with any other meat and vegetables mixed in.

However, pedantics aside, there is no reason you can't use the meat mixture for it, but I never think it freezes very well. Could you freeze the meatballs instead and serve the cottage pie tonight?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:09 am
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
Technically, shepherd's pie is made with mutton, and what you are talking about is cottage pie, which is made with any other meat and vegetables mixed in.

However, pedantics aside, there is no reason you can't use the meat mixture for it, but I never think it freezes very well. Could you freeze the meatballs instead and serve the cottage pie tonight?

Ty all!
How would I freeze meatballs? Any special way?good idea to make shepherds pie tonight and freeze meatballs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:11 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can crumble it into a manwich sauce and bring to a bubble, then serve over spaghetti or other pasta.
Shepards pie should be fine too. Best to eat it fresh (otherwise it's overcooking 3x, meatballs, pie, defrost and reheat).

Ty! Do you have a good recipe for baking Shepards pie? Like no pot or frying pan. Looking for quick and easy and no washing….

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:12 am
tweety1 wrote:
You can make shepards pie. Very easy but ime shepards pie doesn't freeze well. Put it in a Sautee pan with a little oil. Cook it constantly mixing to break it up. Add in a little of bar b q sauce and ketchup or tomato paste. Put it in a pan. Top it with mashed potatoes. I saw a tip to add 1 egg into the meat mixture so it doesn't fall apart. Bake for an hr or untill top is golden.

Ty! Any way to do without the pot?

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty all!
How would I freeze meatballs? Any special way?good idea to make shepherds pie tonight and freeze meatballs.

Put them in a plastic container, or in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer? I don't think there are any special techniques. Either freeze them as one unit or divide them into smaller portions to defrost as needed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:15 am
Elfrida wrote:
Put them in a plastic container, or in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer? I don't think there are any special techniques. Either freeze them as one unit or divide them into smaller portions to defrost as needed.
g

Thanks- and excuse my ignorance but do I freeze them raw or cooked?

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:18 am
Elfrida wrote:

I would cook them first. Once you've defrosted the meat you shouldn't refreeze it without cooking it. If the meat wasn't frozen initially you can freeze them raw, but I would still prefer to cook them first.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:22 am
Elfrida wrote:
I would cook them first. Once you've defrosted the meat you shouldn't refreeze it without cooking it. If the meat wasn't frozen initially you can freeze them raw, but I would still prefer to cook them first.

Ok sounds good! Thank you

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty! Do you have a good recipe for baking Shepards pie? Like no pot or frying pan. Looking for quick and easy and no washing….

You can make your own version of a meat pie. Crumble the cooked meatballs well until you have very small crumbles. Mix with a good tomato sauce or manwich sauce or BBQ sauce (not too much). Press meat into pan. Top with mashed potatoes (if you're looking for shortcuts you can use a good quality instant mashed potatoes like Idahoan made with olive oil based margarine crushed garlic salt and boiling water). Bake. Nice to do this in individual pans so you don't have to scoop out portions and everybody's pie is intact.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 3:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can make your own version of a meat pie. Crumble the cooked meatballs well until you have very small crumbles. Mix with a good tomato sauce or manwich sauce or BBQ sauce (not too much). Press meat into pan. Top with mashed potatoes (if you're looking for shortcuts you can use a good quality instant mashed potatoes like Idahoan made with olive oil based margarine crushed garlic salt and boiling water). Bake. Nice to do this in individual pans so you don't have to scoop out portions and everybody's pie is intact.

Ty! It sounds like you have yummy suppers in your house!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics