Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of Living Thread- Updated with inflation

Lego80

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 4:55 pm
I know its always been a trending topic here to discuss "How much money is needed to live a frum lifestyle"? In the past I've scrolled through these threads and enjoyed seeing everyones answers, and seeing the different ways people spend money, and if they are particularly frugal, how they cut corners etc. I loved reading how much people put down for their homes and their mortgage payments, and how their payments were in comparison to what they were making. I never commented (I forgot my password!) but always found this an interesting read.
Now that we've fast forwarded through covid and all the inflationary policies, I know for me my expenses are much higher, and my husband and I arent making more money. My kids have grown older and my expenses for them have grown with their ages ( I find that more tutors, therapists, food, and clothes are needed, my oldest is 10).
My question to those who are in a similar boat as I am, how are you all managing? I have been feeling choked since early this year, and I dont know where to cut corners.
BH we're ok but its been hard.
I spend so much more money on food, target stuff, all my utility bills went up, gas etc. Just registered my kids for school for next year and saw tuition went up $1000 per kid in one year. (13,500 to 14,500). I live in an "in townish" out of town community if that helps describe these tuition costs, for reference.
Would love to hear other peoples experiences and how they are budgeting during this time.

westchestermom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 5:17 pm
It's hard to not waste food when kids are involved but I'm forcing us to eat leftovers until they are gone. If I make roast chicken and nobody wants it the second night I'll make it into tacos, stir fry or soup. I only buy the cheaper fruits and vegetables. With my first two children I bought way too much clothing but with my third and fourth I'm relying heavily on hand me downs from my best friend who is done having kids and I buy only what they will get use out of. Our home improvement projects are only what can be done by my husband unless something vital is broken. I mend ripped clothes. Rather than get takeout on busy nights I'll buy shortcut easy frozen foods or hot dogs and a bag of salad.

Lego80

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 5:21 pm
westchestermom wrote:
It's hard to not waste food when kids are involved but I'm forcing us to eat leftovers until they are gone. If I make roast chicken and nobody wants it the second night I'll make it into tacos, stir fry or soup. I only buy the cheaper fruits and vegetables. With my first two children I bought way too much clothing but with my third and fourth I'm relying heavily on hand me downs from my best friend who is done having kids and I buy only what they will get use out of. Our home improvement projects are only what can be done by my husband unless something vital is broken. I mend ripped clothes. Rather than get takeout on busy nights I'll buy shortcut easy frozen foods or hot dogs and a bag of salad.

Thanks for your reply. These are good ideas, although my kids are the pickiest eaters in the entire world so the leftovers are left to my husband and I Smile
Can I ask, where do you live, how much more you spend per month now than you did in 2020? Or are these tips and tricks helping to keep your budget the same? I find that even if I am careful, with gas prices, tuition hikes, and the foods my kids like going up, I have no way to avoid it. I live in a blue state and gas is 5.50. My husband drives out of state to work each week as well as flies out a couple of times a month so travel expenses are through the roof.

westchestermom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:03 pm
I live in NY but not near the city. Even with being careful my expenses have gone up between 200 and 300 a month, which comes out of our extras. We try to find free or cheap fun instead of spending that money on activities for the kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics