Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Is it acceptable for the caterer to do this?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:25 pm
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
I think she’s just agreeeing to the 2 carbs and veg because her husband wants to keep shalom. Who even eats potatoes and rice together?

Anyone who has ever been to any Israeli Chareidi event where a meal was served.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I’m in Israel, I’m chareidi. Bh been to simchas and have dont get served two carbs. Once at a bris and the meal was provided by the hall caterer (it was a small hall in a shul). Also two bar mitzvah’s were the caterer was a close relative of the Baal simcha so it was all cost price anyway (I happen to know cos I’m related too). Never had this at other Brissim, or chassunahs, bar mitzvah too. I’m getting the impression that this is strange around here… Unless I’m remembering completely wrong, but I normally pay attention to these things as I’m in the food industry.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
1. I can't recall a bar mitzvah I've attended that didn't have 2 carbs and a vegetable. It's pretty much always the same menu: a choice of chicken or schnitzel, and a side of rice, potatoes, and either string beans or mixed grilled vegetables. The other caterers we priced give the same.

2. She would not do the job if she wasn't making a profit. She is the opposite of a pushover. Several people in the community have told me that she told them she would only cater their event if they included fish as an appetizer so that she could charge more money. When they said they didn't want to, she told them to take their business elsewhere. We also had an experience in the past where we didn't agree on something and she suggested we find another caterer. She's not shy to say it's not worth it for her.

1 I don’t see the need for 2 carbs. It’s not the way a meal is served. I’m in Israel but only attended one bar mitzvah recently and I’m pretty sure there was only one starch
Re #2 in that case it’s different. I Somehow got a different impression. But If she knows to stand for her rights then I guess it must be worth it for her

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Correct. And also for weddings bar Mitzvahs and other functions for the non-religious segment, also fancy ones.
I've been here since 1993 and attended plenty of religious and non-religious functions. The standard is definitely two carbs. Definitely not less.
The only exeption I can possibly think of us during Pesach or if they meal was completely home cooked. But for catered meals and/or function halls two starches is totally standard.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:52 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
1 I don’t see the need for 2 carbs. It’s not the way a meal is served. I’m in Israel but only attended one bar mitzvah recently and I’m pretty sure there was only one starch
Re #2 in that case it’s different. I Somehow got a different impression. But If she knows to stand for her rights then I guess it must be worth it for her

1. They offer you two carbs. Doesn't mean you have to eat both of them Smile
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics