Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Extra Curricular Girls High School

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:03 pm
I'm looking to revamp the extra curricular program in my daughters school. They asked for ideas and I'd like to gather as much information as I can.

Can you give a basic breakdown of what extra curricular looked like in your HS/your daughters school now?

Looking for in school activities and programs besides an annual production.

Thanks!

Oldest

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:27 pm
In HS we had at least one thing each month (Rosh Chodesh) So it may have been small, like dancing in the davening room, or bigger like a fancy lunch. We also had some months where we had full blown games over a few periods.
Chanukah and Purim both had a chagiga
We didn't have this- but I would have loved to have some extra curricular "clubs" to join. Think cooking, singing, art, sports, games, computers etc
If the school is interested they can do more sports
Once a year we had something called "kishut hakitah" Where each class got a passuk that had to do with an overall theme and we had a full morning (maybe more) where we decorated one wall in our classroom having to do with the passuk. We then voted on each rooms wall- and the winner got something. The walls were gorgeous and stayed up each year.
We also had a school wide shalosh seudos and melave malka-in addition to shabbaton
Each grade also had grade individual things too. Think grade (fancy) lunches, melave malkas, shalosh seudos, grade activities and games etc
You can also do voluntary improvement programs that culminate in a cool prize or activity. So a middos program, a technology program etc

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:52 pm
My daughter's school has electives that the girls can pick from, such as learning how to play the guitar, sewing, video editing, etc. If you would like a more complete list I can try to get it for you.

They also have a grade Melave Malka, a technology program which is rewarded with a trip, a Yom Iyun twice a year with a well thought out program and food, special Rosh Chodesh activities, and more. There is always something interesting and exciting!

#BestBubby

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:58 pm
And of course school-wide Shabbaton.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 1:58 pm
School play
Sewing, art
Gym, dancing
Chanuka/purim chagiga
G.O. does something every rosh chodesh
School shabbos
Grade melava malka
Inspirations speakers throughout the yr
Contests for various things ex: technology, tehilim etc. And reward for it.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:11 pm
I have an 8th grader going into high school next year, so I can't speak from actual experience but I can tell you what I already learned about the types of ECs she will be able to choose from. She's going to Central, which is the YU girl's HS so that might not be the same circles as where you are.

Central has a weekly club period for fun electives/clubs and after school ECs that are either athletic, creative, or academic. You can check out their website for some ideas: https://yuhsg.org/student-life/

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 6:12 pm
Thank you! These are all exactly what I'm looking for. Now to convince the school to fund everything...

Will also love any more ideas, the more specific the better!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 6:35 pm
In my school we would have a midwinter festival. It was to take out the winter blue
One year we went snow tubing. Another year we decorated the school full of snow and did snow activities.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:38 pm
Yom Iyun For every yom tov
GO with a theme that runs throughout the year
Shabbos treats relevant to Parsha every erev shabbos
Leil Iyun
Chagiga on Chanukah and Purim
Shmiras ha loshon program thru Chofetz Chaim Center
Chesed Program
Play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shabbaton
grade melavah malka
clubs
electives like cooking, sewing, aerobics, CPR

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:40 pm
The idea is to keep activities new, fresh and interesting sprinkled throughout the year.

dena613

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:41 pm
Going to the school with this many ideas may overwhelm. Especially in terms of budget.

What do they do now? Build on that.
I'd assume there's GO something for rosh chodesh, mishmeres, chessed, and a play...?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:44 pm
dena613 wrote:
Going to the school with this many ideas may overwhelm. Especially in terms of budget.

What do they do now? Build on that.
I'd assume there's GO something for rosh chodesh, mishmeres, chessed, and a play...?

GO does not run all the activities- there are chesed and mishmeres heads, yom iyun heads (speaking of teachers whos guide those programs) and GO sponsers Rosh Chodesh activity, sometimes its a trip, or a speaker

dena613

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:34 pm
Sorry, I should have put a semi colon or been clearer to differentiate between "GO something for rosh chodesh" and the other activities

I'm assuming OP is dealing with a small OOT school (?)
In a small school, they only need one faculty member to oversee these programs.

In a larger school, you may need to break it down further into more positions

emee2

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:27 am
School newspaper?
Student government

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:01 am
Ooh fun to reminisce!
GO
Chesed
Chanuka and purim chagiga
School shabbos in the late spring
Grade shabbos in the winter
Melave Malka for the grade one year
Senior graduation trip
Play
I’m sure there was more but can’t think of it offhand. I graduated 14 years ago 😊

sequoia

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:10 am
School newspaper
School literary magazine
Theater production
Choir
Band
Volunteering/chessed
Israel activism
Coding
Volleyball, basketball, soccer, etc

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 10:18 am
dena613 wrote:
Sorry, I should have put a semi colon or been clearer to differentiate between "GO something for rosh chodesh" and the other activities

I'm assuming OP is dealing with a small OOT school (?)
In a small school, they only need one faculty member to oversee these programs.

In a larger school, you may need to break it down further into more positions

Exactly. I'm happy to be the one managing it or at least help them find someone but I want to show them what it could look like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics