Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Did your salary go up?
Previous  1  2

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:04 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
I too teach in a frum school in NY and have not been raised proportionately. The price hikes only became obvious here in the summer and then YT time, but by that time, my contract was signed and my rate settled. But you can bet your bottom dollar that next year it's either a significant raise or I leave.

I don't count stimuluses and child tax credits as salary increases, sorry.

Wow that is quite lucky that you can just quit your job. I desperately need a significant raise as well but I know I am not getting it (the last time I got a raise was 4 years ago and they told me at the time that I should never expect to get a raise again) But if I leave I will only be hurting myself and my family because we need my income even if it is nowhere near enough

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:16 pm
I re-entered a job this year after a couple of years away from the company. I bH received a 13% raise. It's a fee for service job. My husband bH just got a 10% raise after starting the job mid- pandemic. We are bH very fortunate as we continue to do our best to live paycheck to paycheck.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:24 pm
Sending hugs for all those that have not been raised ( myself included) we are really feeling it too Can't Believe It

For those teaching in Jewish schools, they have been raised/ will get further raises which will effect those of us middle class even more!!! Crying

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sending hugs for all those that have not been raised ( myself included) we are really feeling it too Can't Believe It

For those teaching in Jewish schools, they have been raised/ will get further raises which will effect those of us middle class even more!!! Crying

Yup. Seems from this thread like teachers do get raises. And with Torah umesorah's initiative many will get more raises. And those of us who do NOT get raises are going to have to pay for it with increased tuition. Not sure how this all makes sense

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:33 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Wow that is quite lucky that you can just quit your job. I desperately need a significant raise as well but I know I am not getting it (the last time I got a raise was 4 years ago and they told me at the time that I should never expect to get a raise again) But if I leave I will only be hurting myself and my family because we need my income even if it is nowhere near enough

For me it's a full picture. I'm at a point in my life where my kids need me more and I'm debating cutting my hours or giving it up altogether. In addition, my babysitter went up in price. The clothes I buy for teaching (more than I need if I'd be a SAHM) also went up in price. The conveniences I make use of because I work also cost more. All in all, for me it seems less and less worthwhile enough to keep doing it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:35 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
For me it's a full picture. I'm at a point in my life where my kids need me more and I'm debating cutting my hours or giving it up altogether. In addition, my babysitter went up in price. The clothes I buy for teaching (more than I need if I'd be a SAHM) also went up in price. The conveniences I make use of because I work also cost more. All in all, for me it seems less and less worthwhile enough to keep doing it.

If it can work for you then go for it! I think being a sahm is the most worthwhile and amazing thing ever! I got a small taste of it when school were closed at the beginning of covd and I can only dream about having such an opportunity again

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:36 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Where will you leave to that will pay you more?

With my years of experience, my market value is way more than I'm currently getting. As someone else pointed out, if you're in an existing job, it's harder to get raised according to the salary given to new hirees. So I can either move to another school. Or as I posted in my last post, I'll stay home.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 10:39 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
If it can work for you then go for it! I think being a sahm is the most worthwhile and amazing thing ever! I got a small taste of it when school were closed at the beginning of covd and I can only dream about having such an opportunity again

I love what I do! I'm not looking to give it up. But it has to make sense. I need to reevaluate every year, consider the cost of extended hours at playgroup, the preschooler who needs after-school care, my teenager who needs me at night when I tend to mark, and so on.

amother
Opal

Post Fri, Feb 25 2022, 12:19 am
I'm a teacher and my salary definitely did not go up.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Feb 25 2022, 12:28 am
I work in an office and my salary did not go up. I'm not even making $25 an hour, but I'm too tired to look for a new job.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:29 pm
Bump

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:37 pm
I'm a teacher and I got a raise for next year but with inflation it feels almost worthless.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:40 pm
I asked, but I wasn't told if my request was approved.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:11 pm
I’m a nurse practitioner. I started my job last September, thought my salary was great, but with the current cost of gas my commute is so expensive! (Not to mention cost of daycare food etc that has skyrocketed)
Don’t see how I can get a raise before a year has passed, and even then it will be small.. after all, Medicare cuts (not raises!) their reimbursement rates every year, including in 2022!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics