Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel: weird question
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:25 pm
I am trying to gaurd my eyes and watch only jewish based clips (like certain music videoes etc). Is shtisel considered a clean show? its not only profanity I'm trying to avoid, I want to know if it has positive Yiddish vibes, positive messages etc. Hope I didnt offend anybody and am somewhat clear Wink

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:33 pm
I would not consider Shtisel to be a clean show for someone that wants to guard their eyes.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:39 pm
There is no nudity until season 3 when Ruchami is pregnant. I don't remember if her husband Chanina touches her stomaches or the vibe is that he will and then the scene cuts.

It's a quick scene and someone can probably advise you when to skip over.

Other than that I would say it is clean.

It has some romantic parts but in a kind of Kosher way.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:00 am
It’s pretty clean in terms of nudity and profanity. However, it’s a lot of family drama and heavy depressing types of situations. I wouldn’t describe it as a light happy show if that’s what you’re looking for.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:07 am
how does this show compare to the hebrew movie "fill the void" ? I found that to be pretty clean and no negative jewish messages underlying

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:14 am
In my mind it was very clean and positive about frum life.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:17 am
I really enjoyed shtisel and watched the entire thing; the actors r amazing, it’s emotional and funny, but I wouldn’t consider it a very Jewish show, if that’s the kind of thing ur looking for. The point of these shows isn’t exactly to inspire ppl; it’s entertainment.
It’s really funny tho; it has a lot of very funny moments. It also has a lot of moments and story lines that wouldn’t really happen in a yerushalmi chassidish setting, but these shows never get the nuances right.

Reshaim ararim (show reference)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:22 am
Thanks to all that took the time to reply. much appreciated. still trying to get a feel if this is for me...any more feedback welcome Wink

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:31 am
Maybe watch some episode trailers.

naomi2

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:33 am
It's like other Jewish movies out there. It's not necessarily uplifting but it's good clean entertainment

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks to all that took the time to reply. much appreciated. still trying to get a feel if this is for me...any more feedback welcome Wink

It’s basically abt a bunch of family members who r all dealing with their own things; depression, grief, one that’s accepting a spouse who’s coming back to yiddishkeit, another who’s finding love/ a shidduch, etc etc.
Does it have positive Yiddish vibes (to quote your OP)? I wouldn’t say so. I don’t remember anything strongly negative abt religion or wtvr, tho I watched it a while ago so I might’ve forgotten.
There were a few story lines that I didn’t love cuz I didn’t think they portrayed us well, but the show isn’t made by frum ppl (as far as I know) so it’s to be expected.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 1:15 am
Hmmm I don't know that it gives exactly positive messages about yiddishkeit. A lot of characters are struggling. There is an OTD husband who has an affair, an unwanted pregnancy, a bubby who starts watching TV in her nursing home, just off the top of my head. It's very real. But I don't know that it's positive. It is pretty clean though! Definitely no profanity...

imaima

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 1:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
how does this show compare to the hebrew movie "fill the void" ? I found that to be pretty clean and no negative jewish messages underlying

I feel it is similar

s c

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 3:31 am
It's clean compared to anything else out there today in terms of nudity and bad language. It starts off quirky and charming and gets darker snd more depressing as the show goes on. It becomes quite unrealistic in terms of a snapshot of yiddishkeit and chareidi life as it is, after all, a TV soap opera so they have to reach for new and different plot lines all the time. I think it's run it's course and should stop now. It does deal with real life issues as mentioned above and it's not Disney.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 12:06 pm
It was put out by chilonim
Personally I didn't like it, I'm chasidish, it felt that the producers were trying to hard to try to get it right

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 2:24 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
It was put out by chilonim
Personally I didn't like it, I'm chasidish, it felt that the producers were trying to hard to try to get it right
Actually yehonatan indursky, one of the producers, grew up in the charedi eorld in isrsel, so he knew how things were.
And many charedim in israel said things were spot on right.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:12 pm
My answer was my feelings on it. it rubbed me the wrong way. Not asking for anyone to agree

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:35 pm
Don't watch films and loved it. Some clean romance But season3 they went off track. I did not enjoy it

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:14 am
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Don't watch films and loved it. Some clean romance But season3 they went off track. I did not enjoy it

me neither. was really put off by season 3

amother
Peony

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:38 am
I didn't find it to be highly rated in terms of scenes of language. But the concepts were heavier then you would see in a frum show. The husband having an affair, a lot if death and mental illness. Great show. Heavy themes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics