Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Help with getting back into writing mode after ...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 7:59 pm
BS"D

Hi dearest fellow Ima-writers,

I'm so glad there's a writing club on Imamother Very Happy

I was a published writer for almost 20 years, b'H. I wrote regularly for 3 Jewish magazines, an online magazine and freelanced in other publications.

Then due to illness and surgery I had to take a hiatus from my writing job for a few years.

I'm not altogether back to my usual self and full health but I love writing and can't wait to jump on the bandwagon again.

I'd appreciate receiving your valued advice on how to get into writing again and get those creative juices flowing again.

mtia Smile

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:04 pm
2 suggestions. You can do both.

1. Write anything at all. Focus on something very very small and write about it. Such as how it physically feels to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). Then expand from there

2. Acknowledge that because it's not really a matter of yiras shamayim, everything you write really comes from HaShem. Ask Him to put the words back into your mind so that you may write again.

Hatzlacha.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 8:13 pm
#1: Brainstorm! Sit down and think of any interesting conversations you've had recently. Is there a topic hidden in any of those that could be something to write about? Interesting places, people, events. If it sparked your interest, chances are it will spark readers'.

#2: Start analyzing the magazines you read to get a feel for style and content. Choose which best fits your style and send a sample or two with a pitch, or even just an essay.

#3: Be easy to work with and friendly to develop rapport with a publication. After you've proven yourself, you may be handed assignments.

#4: Are you a part of Soferet writers' group?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:20 am
Thank you so much amother "Aqua" and "Not_in_my_town" for taking the time to respond.
Both your suggestions are excellent.

I don't feel ready yet to return to writing for publishing; I'm just 10 days after major surgery.
I b'H know the ins and outs of writing for a publication - I did it regularly for 19+ years, and as much as I enjoyed it it was also stressful at times which I don't feel I can handle right now.
"Not_in_my_town," your brainstorming suggestions are excellent. Thank you!

I be'H have hopes for using them in the near future when be'H I'm feeling stronger and healed from the surgery and ready to re-enter the world of publishing.

Perhaps for now I'll just write whatever comes to mind, as long as I'm writing.

Thank you! "Aqua" for reminding me that everything and that also includes writing is from Hashem and that I should pray to Him for His help in this.

Yes, I am on Soferet. It's really amazing for anyone in the writing field.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:21 am
Google writing prompts. And try to get out a certain number of words per prompt

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:28 am
singleagain wrote:
Google writing prompts. And try to get out a certain number of words per prompt

Thank you "singleagain" for your excellent suggestion, I can't use it because the internet on my computer is filtered.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you "singleagain" for your excellent suggestion, I can't use it because the internet on my computer is filtered.

If you tell me what genre you're looking for I'll Google it for you

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 10:00 am
Wonder if youre the writers Ive been thinking about... there are 2-3 writers I often wonder why they went AWOL and wish theyd return

Etka Gittel Schwarts
Peshie Needleman
Sheva Shapiro
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club