Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Creative high level Job!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:01 am
I own my own successful business. I built it up from scratch and the business is currently retailing over a million dollars a year.
I’m an over achiever and love the thrill of setting and accomplishing goals. I love figuring out creative solutions, and I love trying new things. I’m not afraid of failure and am very level headed under stress. I have great leadership skills and manage a very successful group of employees.
So what’s the problem? I’m bored. I have no drive to work. I wake up and have zero interest in doing anything for my business. I’m at the point now where it can kind of coast along with a little input here and there, which is amazing and I’m so grateful!
But my marriage is hopeless (husband has mental illness and refuses to get help), and I need to throw myself into something to help feel fulfilled. And it needs to be a huge money maker because my husband barely brings in a penny and we have 8 kids.
So...any ideas? I’ve been told by many ppl to open a girls camp. Or some sort of after school high school program. Or be the CEO of someone else’s business. Anyone have any leads? Or ideas for my situation?
Oh, and my business retails a million- that doesn’t mean I take home a million lol! It’s a decent income but not crazy- which is why I need to keep working!

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:25 am
Can you increase your sales without too much effort to bring in more income? That's what I'm trying to do now with my business. But I know exactly how you feel. Since Pesach I have literally lost interest in my business.

I don't know for sure what type of camp is needed but why don't you start with a night camp for teenagers or even for women? There must be women who have older kids at sleepaway camp and are able to get out at night and would like to do some awesome activities.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I own my own successful business. I built it up from scratch and the business is currently retailing over a million dollars a year.
I’m an over achiever and love the thrill of setting and accomplishing goals. I love figuring out creative solutions, and I love trying new things. I’m not afraid of failure and am very level headed under stress. I have great leadership skills and manage a very successful group of employees.
So what’s the problem? I’m bored. I have no drive to work. I wake up and have zero interest in doing anything for my business. I’m at the point now where it can kind of coast along with a little input here and there, which is amazing and I’m so grateful!
But my marriage is hopeless (husband has mental illness and refuses to get help), and I need to throw myself into something to help feel fulfilled. And it needs to be a huge money maker because my husband barely brings in a penny and we have 8 kids.
So...any ideas? I’ve been told by many ppl to open a girls camp. Or some sort of after school high school program. Or be the CEO of someone else’s business. Anyone have any leads? Or ideas for my situation?
Oh, and my business retails a million- that doesn’t mean I take home a million lol! It’s a decent income but not crazy- which is why I need to keep working!

Heh. When I read the first half of your OP, I was thinking I have some questions for you. What advice do you have for someone thinking of starting a business? Do you sell on amazon? Did this grow out of a passion for your product? Do you have any resources you can point someone to?

Sorry...guess I don't really have suggestions. Hatzlocha with whatever you end up doing!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:35 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Heh. When I read the first half of your OP, I was thinking I have some questions for you. What advice do you have for someone thinking of starting a business? Do you sell on amazon? Did this grow out of a passion for your product? Do you have any resources you can point someone to?

Sorry...guess I don't really have suggestions. Hatzlocha with whatever you end up doing!

Lol not amazon. Good old fashioned in person. The products are good but I’m more in passion with the freedom and flexibility of my job. I have a masters in OT and hated it so that was my motivation to make this work. Lots and lots of good old fashioned work. And I have no problem doing that again, I just need to find the right thing to fuel it towards.

My advice that I give every new employee is not to look for shortcuts. There really are none. Do it properly and consistently and it will build up over time if U are doing it correctly.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:38 am
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
Can you increase your sales without too much effort to bring in more income? That's what I'm trying to do now with my business. But I know exactly how you feel. Since Pesach I have literally lost interest in my business.

I don't know for sure what type of camp is needed but why don't you start with a night camp for teenagers or even for women? There must be women who have older kids at sleepaway camp and are able to get out at night and would like to do some awesome activities.

Isn’t it sad? I keep trying to fool myself into being excited and it works for several days but then I just can’t fake it anymore. I want to honestly be excited about what I’m doing. And it’s the type of business where taking your business to a new level takes a whole lot of work to get to , and I’m just not able to do that right now because of my lack of excitement.
I’m glad u can understand what I mean. It sounds stupid to some ppl.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:41 am
Good for you that you're so accomplished! I imagine you can do whatever you set your mind on doing. But - if you're unhappy at home, that's going to affect your work, in the same way that being unhappy at work affects your home life. The problem here isn't your job. While it's great to take on new challenges, and you'll probably succeed in whatever field you choose, I think you need to look closer to home.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:48 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Good for you that you're so accomplished! I imagine you can do whatever you set your mind on doing. But - if you're unhappy at home, that's going to affect your work, in the same way that being unhappy at work affects your home life. The problem here isn't your job. While it's great to take on new challenges, and you'll probably succeed in whatever field you choose, I think you need to look closer to home.

Without getting in to details on this thread, trust me I’ve tried everything. An over achiever like me doesn’t just give up on having a great marriage. I was in fact told many times that divorce is the only option. By many competent therapists and rabbonim. You can’t fix a marriage yourself- contrary to what many therapists and life coaches want you to believe. Been there, tried that. And You can’t fix someone who doesn’t think they need fixing. Someone who thinks they are perfect.
I’ve chosen to stay in this marriage for the sake of my kids- and let’s not get into that now. It’s brutal, and lonely and I wish it on no one. Be thankful that u can’t imagine what such a marriage is like.
With that being said, I’ve been advised to seek fulfillment outside of my marriage and it’s been a lifesaver.
And in case you are wondering, my kids are my life. They come first in everything. I only work from 10-3. I used to work nights when they were little but not anymore. I actually give classes on work life balance to entrepreneurs.
Sorry for sounding so defensive. I’m just tired of the assumptions. And thank u for the belief in my abilities, I really do appreciate it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:54 am
I say sell your business
Talk to a business broker

Invest in real estate

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:02 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I say sell your business
Talk to a business broker

Invest in real estate

Thanks for the ideas!
I’ve been thinking abt selling it, but it makes more sense to hold on to it and make residual income even if it doesn’t grow further.
I actually thought abt doing real estate, but now isn’t a great time for that in this market. (Lakewood). And I’m not looking into investing now.
I’ll take more ideas though! Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:07 am
I would try and build out a creative tangent from my existing business.
Hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:08 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I would try and build out a creative tangent from my existing business.
Hatzlocha!

Wld u mind elaborating?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:11 am
Create a mastermind
Invite other women business owners
The shared challenges and joys may help respark the interest

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:14 am
Selling your business may get you more money than you are making on a monthly basis, over 3 or 5 years.
You keep some liquid and the rest you invest

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Isn’t it sad? I keep trying to fool myself into being excited and it works for several days but then I just can’t fake it anymore. I want to honestly be excited about what I’m doing. And it’s the type of business where taking your business to a new level takes a whole lot of work to get to , and I’m just not able to do that right now because of my lack of excitement.

I'm not quite in your situation but I have an advanced degree and feel the same way. It's at the point where I really hate my work, but how can I throw out a degree? I keep fantasizing about starting a business. Thanks for the advice btw.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, I sometimes think that getting a partner would solve the problem. I find it hard to make all the decisions by myself and its very lonely. Maybe it would bring some life and motivation but then I'm not sure if it would be worth it. My husband doesn't get involved way too complicated to explain. I actually have my degree in education and miss the field very much. Teaching just didn't have enough flexibility for me to be available for my kids.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Without getting in to details on this thread, trust me I’ve tried everything. An over achiever like me doesn’t just give up on having a great marriage. I was in fact told many times that divorce is the only option. By many competent therapists and rabbonim. You can’t fix a marriage yourself- contrary to what many therapists and life coaches want you to believe. Been there, tried that. And You can’t fix someone who doesn’t think they need fixing. Someone who thinks they are perfect.
I’ve chosen to stay in this marriage for the sake of my kids- and let’s not get into that now. It’s brutal, and lonely and I wish it on no one. Be thankful that u can’t imagine what such a marriage is like.
With that being said, I’ve been advised to seek fulfillment outside of my marriage and it’s been a lifesaver.
And in case you are wondering, my kids are my life. They come first in everything. I only work from 10-3. I used to work nights when they were little but not anymore. I actually give classes on work life balance to entrepreneurs.
Sorry for sounding so defensive. I’m just tired of the assumptions. And thank u for the belief in my abilities, I really do appreciate it.

So sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that you hadn't put in the work. I just meant that when you have a heavy burden at home, it's likely to spill over into other areas. It sounds like your troubles at home are affecting you at work, which is totally understandable. You seem like a strong and capable person. Because you are successful and a real go-getter, this slump comes across as an emotional, not occupational, issue. I wish you much strength.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:46 am
I could have written your post word for word besides a husband with mental illness. Mine just won't work to bring in enough for us to live on. He insisted on staying in chinuch. I really feel you! Making big decisions on your own is so so lonely 😞!!! I'm also very bored and have no real fulfillment from the business I created from scratch. I'm in rhe market of looking to create something new but not sure what so I really get you. I'm debating with something that will not bring in much but I would really enjoy or start another company similar and alongside the one I have now.....
I don't have much advice but wanted to say thank you for sharing this as it made me feel less alone in this world.
Thank you

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:47 am
Honestly just suck it up and continue working because you are not going to be able to duplicate your income in a manner that is more emotionally fulfilling.

Most people do not work at jobs that are particularly fulfilling. The best they can say is that they are reasonably okay with the job and aren't tortured by their boss or otherwise working in horrendous stressful conditions.

I know almost no one who would go to work if they didn't need the money. And that includes people with all kinds of jobs.

You can realistically attempt to make even more money and thus aim for being able to retire at a reasonably young age and pursue your passions and interests. You can look for ways to increase your retirement savings so that earlier retirement is a realistic goal.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:52 am
Can you find fulfillment somewhere else? Do you have a hobby you enjoy or can you find a new hobby? Honestly a successful business is nothing to throw away these days. You are really fortunate. Many people don't enjoy their jobs. You definitely need to feel fulfilled in other areas so maybe a hobby would be the better way to go, especially in today's economy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:52 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Honestly just suck it up and continue working because you are not going to be able to duplicate your income in a manner that is more emotionally fulfilling.

Most people do not work at jobs that are particularly fulfilling. The best they can say is that they are reasonably okay with the job and aren't tortured by their boss or otherwise working in horrendous stressful conditions.

I know almost no one who would go to work if they didn't need the money. And that includes people with all kinds of jobs.

You can realistically attempt to make even more money and thus aim for being able to retire at a reasonably young age and pursue your passions and interests. You can look for ways to increase your retirement savings so that earlier retirement is a realistic goal.

Nope sorry I disagree with every word you wrote. And I am living proof that you can actually and should actually enjoy every second of your job. If you’re not, you’re in the wrong job. How do I know? Because I left a successful well-paying OT job to start my own business with something I was passionate about and I loved every second of it. I’m the first one to say that you need to be a grown-up and you need to figure out a way to bring in an income and there’s absolutely no passes that I give to anyone on that. But to be miserable at your job because you just think that’s the way of the world? Nope, sorry you’re missing out on a lot.

I really hope nobody reads your advice and takes it to heart.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics