Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
DONE with restrictive filter. What alternative?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:59 pm
I still want to use a filter. I send my kids to a school that requires it and I support that value. For several months now I have dealt with the inconvenience of using a filter as a proud cost of that value. Many times it meant just deciding to skip accessing certain things because of the pause, and I felt that was a good result. Other times it meant things took longer or more annoying than they should, such as buying new underwear and needing to request that each shopping page I needed be unlocked, but I just took it as the cost of trying to do the right thing.

But recently I feel that the filtering company is really overstepping their role in deciding what to allow. Twice today I requested access to specific websites and my request was rejected. Once was to apply for a job with a company that produces children's books. For some reason this link was categorized as "adult." I sent in a request saying I think it was categorized wrongly and it is, in fact, a children's book publisher and I would like to communicate with them via their website. The response I got was "Your request cannot be allowed." I replied to that asking for a review and am still awaiting a response.

The other one which REALLY got me mad - I recently moved to a new neighborhood and wanted to check who the registered offenders are in the area. I was not surprised to find that searched blocked because of the language involved. So I sent in a request with an explanation of exactly why I needed to access the site. It was rejected with the response "page contains undesired content." I sent back an email asking why and who decides this is undesired along with some very strong words about the definition of safety and protection, to which I am still awaiting a reply.

However, I just feel done.

The truth is that I'm sure any filter would automatically block the offender registry because of the word before offender. One would hope, though, that they would also respond appropriately to the request to unlock it. Also, this irritation has been brewing for a while. I think this is just not the filter for me.

Sooooo. What IS the filter for me?

amother
Lily

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:05 pm
Following

piegirl

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:10 pm
I’d love to know also. Right now I just have a tablet that’s unfiltered that is hidden and I only take it out when no kids are around. It’s really not ideal though. I want to be able to unblock pages as I see fit.

Rubies

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:26 pm
I believe this is the biggest issue in technology that no one is truly addressing.
There are no filters that provide a service to homes that want to keep the kedushah while also allowing for autonomy.

To allow people to have filtered devices without needing to request permission for things others deem inappropriate.
To allow for the trust that people make choices in life in the privacy of their homes in regards to all areas of yiddishkeit and this should not be treated any differently.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:43 pm
Qustodio

You do your own filtering, its meant to protect kids

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:46 pm
Do your own filtering with a parenting filter that isn't a Jewish brand.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 8:53 pm
I'm with gentech and extremely happy.
I pushed off getting a filter because I was nervous of everything you mentioned. I was biggest sceptic out there. bh happy I did it. You can customize it quite well and they are not judgy at all. In fact only spoke to nonjews on the phone. So no questioning what I need things for. I hardly had to disable filter as bh it's working well for the things I need it for.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:06 pm
Rubies wrote:

To allow people to have filtered devices without needing to request permission for things others deem inappropriate.
To allow for the trust that people make choices in life in the privacy of their homes in regards to all areas of yiddishkeit and this should not be treated any differently.

What do you mean to allow? Who needs to allow? Who doesn't trust you?

I had unfiltered internet. Decided to upgrade and did a filter. They didn't tell me what I can't see. I told them which categories I want them to block. For example social media. Then I asked them to keep Imamother unlocked even though its under social media. For youtube you can have access to all of it or choose 5 levels of filtering. Whatever works for you. I tried one level and eventually told them to block the whole site.

I feel very much in control of the process. I am paying them because I enlisted their help to help me and they are doing their job. T

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:08 pm
I call the filter company instead of waiting for the emails. I tell them I want a certain category open for the next 24 hours and usually it's fine. Still not ultra convenient but can't complain.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 9:13 pm
Rubies wrote:
I believe this is the biggest issue in technology that no one is truly addressing.
There are no filters that provide a service to homes that want to keep the kedushah while also allowing for autonomy.

There is one - and that's the one between the ears. I agree with you that this shouldn't be treated any differently than any other areas of yiddishkeit. Just like you use your head to install boundaries and gedorim in other area of life, you do the same with this. Find what filters work for you, set it up as you think it should and that's that. No one should be controlling you in any form. We are adults for goodness sake.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:05 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
What do you mean to allow? Who needs to allow? Who doesn't trust you?

I had unfiltered internet. Decided to upgrade and did a filter. They didn't tell me what I can't see. I told them which categories I want them to block. For example social media. Then I asked them to keep Imamother unlocked even though its under social media. For youtube you can have access to all of it or choose 5 levels of filtering. Whatever works for you. I tried one level and eventually told them to block the whole site.

I feel very much in control of the process. I am paying them because I enlisted their help to help me and they are doing their job. T

Which filtering company did you use?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:58 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
There is one - and that's the one between the ears. I agree with you that this shouldn't be treated any differently than any other areas of yiddishkeit. Just like you use your head to install boundaries and gedorim in other area of life, you do the same with this. Find what filters work for you, set it up as you think it should and that's that. No one should be controlling you in any form. We are adults for goodness sake.

We may be adults but many of us share our homes with people who are not adults yet and may not be ready to do their own filtering. I'm on board with the idea, I just need it to be less draconian.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:59 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Which filtering company did you use?

Gentech solutions.

I wrote upthread. Very customizable, professional non jewish staff, never felt judged...

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 11:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We may be adults but many of us share our homes with people who are not adults yet and may not be ready to do their own filtering. I'm on board with the idea, I just need it to be less draconian.

Aren't those non adults living in homes with adults who can set up the filtering as per their adults specifications?

Zeleze

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 2:18 am
I am with you

I am 100% for a filter and where I work and log on here is also filtered, but latley they changed the level and for nearly a month I just could not log on to any normal site, including here.

I understant that we need boarders, but making it so strict will get me and any others that need the internet to look for other options.

Sad that the Rabonim who are behind this don't understand

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 4:33 am
I like mobicip =

https://www.mobicip.com/

You can set different levels for each member of the household, you can decide what sites to block or just to give a whitelist list - whatever works for you. The parent is in charge.

So, yes, the adult in the house doesn't have a filter in the sense of someone watching over her, but she can set things to be blocked for her, too. But she can unblock them when she wants to by making herself the one in charge and therefore the one who can change everyone's levels as needed (including her own). By the way, you can set it up so that two adults (both parents, or however you want to do it) can make changes.

If a kid needs to access something, I believe there's a way that the kid can request access to the site, but only can actually access it once a parent approves it.

Additional info here =

https://www.wizcase.com/parent.....icip/

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:51 am
When I used Netspark I set up my own filtering levels and I could adjust it anytime.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:59 am
Kaspersky safe kids.
Very adjustable, meant for kids, you set the parameters, and if a website is blocked, you can request permission from the parent to unblock it-the parent cellphone gets an alert and they can choose to unblock or keep blocked.
Works beautifully as an adult filter for us, as we are primarily concerned with keeping shmutz, prn, etc filtered out.

Ive also heard of a new one out of an Israeli company, called Canopy. Its more expensive than a parenting filter like kaspersky or qustodio, but what ive heard is that they specifically go after prn and the like, and dont go crazy filtering out the rest of your life. You can google it

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:52 am
I second Gentech. Different levels for different family members.

theoretical62

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:05 pm
Another vote for gentech. They will often approve things instantly when you send a request. They also now have whatsapp support so if anything isn't instant and I need it opened sooner, I can send a whatsapp and they are on it fast. This is besides for phone support. I find it really works well for me and I have had it for years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics