Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Info on the name Sultana?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:43 am
There's a grandmother on my family tree named Sultana from generations ago, and I love the sound of it, but no one that I know of has named after her. Is this a sephardi name? Has anyone ever heard of it? Is it the old version of malka? TIA!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:44 am
I have a grandmother with that name. Yes, Sephardi. And yes, it's Malka.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:46 am
Don't Brits call raisins "sultanas?"

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:50 am
amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:
I have a grandmother with that name. Yes, Sephardi. And yes, it's Malka.

Is it unaccepted for ashkenazim to give sephardi names..? Is that crazy or do people do that?

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:51 am
What Americans call golden raisins are sultanas. The black ones are raisins.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it unaccepted for ashkenazim to give sephardi names..? Is that crazy or do people do that?

Is your family sefardi? My family is and I married ashkenazi and would totally use a sefardi name.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not crazy. I don't think it's Arabic like many Sephardi names. I'd say it probably comes from Spanish or something. The grandmother in my family was actually Greek!
But you can always use Malka - that's universal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:54 am
Elfrida wrote:
What Americans call golden raisins are sultanas. The black ones are raisins.

Ugh... I don't want a name that people think means raisin lol. That kind of ruins it.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ugh... I don't want a name that people think means raisin lol. That kind of ruins it.

It probably comes from a nicer meaning - like golden or something. I think it means queen - hence Malka.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:59 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Is your family sefardi? My family is and I married ashkenazi and would totally use a sefardi name.

I have some sephardi from a couple generations ago but wouldn't consider my family to be sephardi at all anymore, if that makes sense.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:01 pm
amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:
It probably comes from a nicer meaning - like golden or something. I think it means queen - hence Malka.

That sounds better than raisin! I'll have to do some more research. I like more unique names, which is why I'm drawn to it more than malka, but I do have to be careful not to do something so wild that my daughter would resent it later.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

In the context of names I have always assumed it was the female version of Sultan, the local equivalent of king - hence Malka. I heard of it as a title rather than a name, but you get girls called Queenie, so it is obviously the same usage.

I suppose the larger and juicier golden raisins were considered superior to the little black ones, thus they got a superior name.

Having said that, I would be rather surprised if I came across anyone using the name, and it would be hard to ignore the raisin associations.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:45 pm
Yes, it's Arabic. Brits will associate the name with golden raisins, but Americans won't. I would definitely translate it and use Malka, though Sultana sounds objectively pretty to me.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:48 pm
I personally wouldn't use the name because the first thing that leaped into my mind was raisins - which is the same reaction when I heard that Gwyneth Paltrow named her girl Apple years ago.

Also the secondary meaning is the female concubine or wife of a sultan which is generally associated with Muslim kingdoms.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:52 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
I personally wouldn't use the name because the first thing that leaped into my mind was raisins - which is the same reaction when I heard that Gwyneth Paltrow named her girl Apple years ago.

Also the secondary meaning is the female concubine or wife of a sultan which is generally associated with Muslim kingdoms.

In Hebrew, fruit names are more accepted (Tamar, Einav, Shaked, Hadar).

But it only works for some fruits. I don't know anybody named Tapuz or Tapuach or Ananas.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:55 pm
DrMom wrote:
In Hebrew, fruit names are more accepted (Tamar, Einav, Shaked, Hadar).

But it only works for some fruits. I don't know anybody named Tapuz or Tapuach or Ananas.

I would think it is because the names have some kind of secondary meaning so that people don't immediately associate them with the fruit the way Apple as a name in English does.

I think the analogous naming protocol would be flowers - no one thinks Rose, Lily, Daisy are strange names for girls. However other flower names would be viewed as weird like Lilac, Tulip, Begonia or Nasturtium LOL

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:25 pm
I have a cousin called Barley. 😳

So why not Raisin/Sultana?

amother
Opal

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:30 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I have a cousin called Barley. 😳

So why not Raisin/Sultana?

This is fascinating.

Is he or she literally named Barley in English?

Is there some reason for having been given the name?

My mother was a public school teacher and she had some very strange names occasionally because the parents weren't English literate and so they had no idea that they were not using a "name" that is generally used for people.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:35 pm
Sounds like a golden raisin to me, sorry.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:41 pm
How about splitting the baby (figuratively) and using Malka Sultana or Sultana Malka?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names