Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
SLP salary and raises
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:20 pm
The only people I know who get paid leave for Jewish holidays work for Jewish schools (I.e. they aren't using their personal days or taking unpaid leave), regardless of the field they are in.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I think the bottom line is that speech therapy just isn't the amazing wonderful field it is made out to be, no matter how you slice it.

Even public school (and imas who work in PS can correct me)- it's not like there is amazing earning potential. I think after about 30 years or so, you max at about 120 000? That's not great for a masters level job.

The schooling is so long, intense and difficult. The student loans are exorbitant. Once you're willing to go through that, there are other fields that have much higher earning and growth potential (for some ideas, you can listen to the episode "high paying jobs and where to find them" on the kosher money podcast. Spoiler alert- therapy isnt one of them!!)

If you google "average salary for an SLP" -it's reply nothing special, even in the secular world it's not a super high paying field. I don't know why it's glorified so much in the frum world. Maybe because the frum colleges like touro promote it a lot? The reality is that it's a difficult, draining job with a tremendous amount of work at home after hours, and a mediocre salary with no growth potential.

Our frum life is so expensive, and we should be encouraging our girls to go into jobs that are high paying with significant growth potential.

The only people who should be going into speech therapy are those who truly love the field and will enjoy it.

First of all 120k is not mediocre, but anyways no one should go into any field that they don't enjoy. Being a working mother is hard. At least work should be enjoyable. I don't work in a high paying field, but I love what I do. I don't know if I'll ever make 120k but at least I'm happy.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:31 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
The answer to all this is to work in a different setting. But as you probably know, every setting comes with its own set of problems and that's why you are choosing to stay as an agency therapist. I work for the doe. Leave my house at 7:15 am. Work till 3 on Friday. Work erev Yom tov, chol hamoed, and when my kids are off. I lose money when I take off for Jewish holidays. I don't bring paperwork home. I get paid for absences. There are pros and cons to every job. You obviously stick with the agency job for a reason. And I stick with the doe despite its hardships and terrible environment because I need the salary and benefits.

Yes- I agree with this too. Work in a different setting. Working for an agency in jewish schools is not your only option.
Work in a hospital. A nursing home. Outpatient adult. Outpatient kids. Open your own clinic. Work for the DOE. There are many possibilities out there. And they might have more earning potential than what you are doing now.

I work for the DOE and am on my way to getting to the top of the salary schedule to make over $100,000 year plus great health insurance for my whole family plus a great retirement plan. Yeah it is not all peaches and cream all the time and I have to work Fridays and Erev YT and leave my house early in the am but you can't have everything.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:35 pm
I wonder if its regional. NY seems like all therapy goes through the school district. A lot of areas dont work that way.

I have 2 kids with ADHD so I am in a bunch of local special ed FB groups with mostly public school parents. No one relies on school therapy alone. You go to a clinic and get OT/Speech/PT etc and you use insurance like Blue Cross. The concept of an agency doesn't seem to exist with kids. It does with nursing homes. I work with some professionally. My kids and all my friends whose kids need therapy go to a clinic or the local childrens hospital. They are salaried jobs with insurance benefits. I know a lot of therapists who work for these places making very decent money.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 12:37 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
First of all 120k is not mediocre, but anyways no one should go into any field that they don't enjoy. Being a working mother is hard. At least work should be enjoyable. I don't work in a high paying field, but I love what I do. I don't know if I'll ever make 120k but at least I'm happy.

Do you have a master's degree?

And yes, I stand by what I say. I don't think maxing out at 120k after 30 years of work at a master's level job is all that wonderful.

Go back and read some of the threads here where salaries at different jobs are discussed

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:18 pm

And yes, I stand by what I say. I don't think maxing out at 120k after 30 years of work at a master's level job is all that wonderful.

Go back and read some of the threads here where salaries at different jobs are discussed

The 120k salary keeps rising as new contracts are negotiated every 3 years. Plus you get benefits. Plus you get a pension. And summers off. You can make extra money working per session and working summer school. So that's a decent salary for a therapist/teacher with the hours they are working. Having a job in an office or a more official job will probably make you more money. But it will also probably be a longer workday, less time off, and no summers off. For me it is worth the less money so I can spend time with my kids as they grow up. Most Jewish mothers don't want to be out working all day and therefore prefer to make a little less and have more family time.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:30 pm

$120k for a 10 month yearly schedule is pretty good. Other than teaching, how many jobs can you have summers off? Definitely helpful if you then save on babysitting/daycare/day camp costs or if it enables you to add on a summer job.
Just for mental health and getting a break, some people consider that a huge bonus that balances out a more modest paycheck.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:30 pm

You max out at 120k at a Government job - where you have a decent amount of vacation days, insurance, benefits and pension. That seems very nice to me. You can always go out on your own and open a practice if you wanted an unlimited salary.

The real question is - what did you think your eventual salary would be when you went into this field and took out loans for schooling? Did you think you would make a lot more than 120k, while working less than 40 hours a week and being available for your kids?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:31 pm
What other masters level jobs are bringing in much more than 120k?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 1:38 pm
I don't get the kvetch about the salary. In my state, we max out at fifteen years at about $100,000. We could get a little more through completing additional college credits or a doctorate degree.

I think that's great! Its honestly a motivator to keep working so I can reach the top of the scale. Considering we work about 190 days a year and have generous benefits. My insurance is worth about $15,000 a year and I pay $250 a month for it.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 6:41 pm
Our frum life is so expensive, and we should be encouraging our girls to go into jobs that are high paying with significant growth potential.

The only people who should be going into speech therapy are those who truly love the field and will enjoy it.
What jobs do you have in mind? Accounting?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:00 pm
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:

And then you would see the posts from women complaining they work full time and are never home with their kids and need to spend so much in childcare, and they wish they had a part time flexible job even if they didn't make as much.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:06 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
And then you would see the posts from women complaining they work full time and are never home with their kids and need to spend so much in childcare, and they wish they had a part time flexible job even if they didn't make as much.

Correct. That's why being a therapist was pushed in frum girls schools to begin with. The big selling point was decent salary and ability to have flexible hours or work part time. I am from the generation of the SLP "pioneers" (no, I didn't go into it, but I considered it). This was before college was really accepted for frum girls, except in certain OOT communities, such as Baltimore. Touro hadn't yet taken off, and Maalot was in its infancy stage. No online classes existed yet. Prior to that, girls mainly ended up teaching or working in offices in various capacities, with limited salary potential if you wanted to work part time. This was seen as a big step up.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:25 pm
I think the bottom line is that speech therapy just isn't the amazing wonderful field it is made out to be, no matter how you slice it.

Even public school (and imas who work in PS can correct me)- it's not like there is amazing earning potential. I think after about 30 years or so, you max at about 120 000? That's not great for a masters level job.

The schooling is so long, intense and difficult. The student loans are exorbitant. Once you're willing to go through that, there are other fields that have much higher earning and growth potential (for some ideas, you can listen to the episode "high paying jobs and where to find them" on the kosher money podcast. Spoiler alert- therapy isnt one of them!!)

If you google "average salary for an SLP" -it's reply nothing special, even in the secular world it's not a super high paying field. I don't know why it's glorified so much in the frum world. Maybe because the frum colleges like touro promote it a lot? The reality is that it's a difficult, draining job with a tremendous amount of work at home after hours, and a mediocre salary with no growth potential.

120k for 10 months a year on a school schedule is considered a really high salary. I’m not sure what you’re comparing the salary to?

I have a close relative who’s an an SLP and am privy to her finances, it’s an ideal job for a frum mother if you work it right. She works at a public school, has excellent hour and benefits and a decent salary with raises.

Can you give examples of fields you’re comparing the salary to?

Accountant will make more with equivalent schooling but we all know they make more, you have to be the type to do that.

What do you consider exorbitant student loans? My husbands law degree cost us in the 6 figures… besides for living expense etc. that I covered with my job.

I’m a social worker btw. Dare I say that our work can be significantly more draining than that of an SLP. Our pay rate at clinics is around 30-50 a session depending on experience.. There are very very few public school positions or any positions with benefits at all. There are no EI positions either.

I went into social work with my eyes somewhat open but I don’t understand why it’s touted as a great job when you literally make Pennie’s on the dollar unless you turn it into a full fledged career. Even then, if you’re not entrepreneurial then you’re stuck.

All that to say I think social workers are way worse off. From my knowledge teacher aren’t making more than SLPs either so I’m curious what you’re comparing to.

(BCBA seems to be a great position. OT and PT make more but their schooling is exponentially harder and more expensive than SLP, almost every SLP I know was aware those fields made more but wasn’t willing/ wanting to do what it takes.)

amother
Jean

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:40 pm
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:

Yeah I am wondering this too. What careers or jobs are out there that are:
Appropriate for frum women and appealing to them
Don't require more than 1-2 years of schooling
Allow huge earning potential. Apparently $120,000 is not enough.
While working max 30 hrs a week (minus Fridays, erev yt, yt, chol hamoed, summers, winter break, siddur plays, babysitter cancellations, etc.)

Please enlighten me!!!

The only thing that has less limited earning potential with flexibility is having your own business. But that requires a LOT of investment of money, time and effort... just like many other money-maker careers.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:01 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Yeah I am wondering this too. What careers or jobs are out there that are:
Appropriate for frum women and appealing to them
Don't require more than 1-2 years of schooling
Allow huge earning potential. Apparently $120,000 is not enough.
While working max 30 hrs a week (minus Fridays, erev yt, yt, chol hamoed, summers, winter break, siddur plays, babysitter cancellations, etc.)

Please enlighten me!!!

The only thing that has less limited earning potential with flexibility is having your own business. But that requires a LOT of investment of money, time and effort... just like many other money-maker careers.

This^^
I mean not everyone is cut out to be a computer scientist! And even if you are, you are usually working very full time to come home with a super high salary.

erm

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why is it that my agency only pays $62 an hour (im a SLP in bk)

with the rate of inflation you would think our salaries would go up.
I read of all these other threads of women asking for raises every year. ive been at my agency 6 years and havent received a raised once. Actually I was $60 as a CF lol and then $62 when I got my Cs bh...

Did you request a raise?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 10:29 pm
erm wrote:
Did you request a raise?

YVY does not give raises. I get paid the same as the newlywed who just started, as the veteran therapist whos been working 10 years, as my friend who has been working 7 years

honey36

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:25 pm
Just curious, is is $62 per hour or per session? How long are your sessions?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:55 pm
Just curious if Monsey slps are making $62? I think the doh cut the reimbursement when nys wasn't doing well ( we were making $65 for a 30 minute session - 15 yrs ago) Now making $10 less per session.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics