Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for the right place to move to
Previous  1  2  3  Next

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:37 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
Really have you been to Lakewood and it’s surrounding towns? Most of the towns around it that Jews live in are the definition of rural and suburban.

Jackson and Toms River are Suburban, yes. But NOT rural.
Rural is like West Virginia.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:38 am
Passaic

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:43 am
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
Lakewood has all of that.
Try Jackson for more rural, and possibly more affordable.

You can’t move to Jackson if you want to send to special Ed schools in Lakewood

working hard

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:59 am
Thank you for all your helpful replies.

We were warned against considering Lakewood because schools do not want a special ed child from out of Lakewood.
In addition, jobs in the special ed sector are harder to come by and pay a lot less than we need. Never mind a job for my husband!

My daughter really falls in between the regular ed and special ed school system. She cannot function in the regular classroom but does not belong in a special ed school either (according to her current providers). She really needs an inclusion classroom.

Most of the real OOT communities like Cincinnati or Phoenix are not going to work as they do not have what we need in schooling for my children.

We considered Passaic but were told that the special ed resources available in the Bais Yaakov were not sufficient and are very expensive.

The school in Cleveland told us "Are you sure you want to move here?" just when they heard family size. It does not seem like we will be welcomed there.

I would like to look more into Chicago and Baltimore. If anyone has any leads for me, please let me know.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:05 am
working hard wrote:
Thank you for all your helpful replies.

We were warned against considering Lakewood because schools do not want a special ed child from out of Lakewood.
In addition, jobs in the special ed sector are harder to come by and pay a lot less than we need. Never mind a job for my husband!

My daughter really falls in between the regular ed and special ed school system. She cannot function in the regular classroom but does not belong in a special ed school either (according to her current providers). She really needs an inclusion classroom.

Most of the real OOT communities like Cincinnati or Phoenix are not going to work as they do not have what we need in schooling for my children.

We considered Passaic but were told that the special ed resources available in the Bais Yaakov were not sufficient and are very expensive.

The school in Cleveland told us "Are you sure you want to move here?" just when they heard family size. It does not seem like we will be welcomed there.

I would like to look more into Chicago and Baltimore. If anyone has any leads for me, please let me know.

Do you have any specific questions about Chicago that we could help you with? Chicagoan here Smile

mha3484

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:07 am
I said earlier my kids get special ed services in Chicago. Your free to pm me.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:08 am
Detroit. Great schools, nice community, simple standard of living, very suburban with lots of grass trees and space. Housing is nothing like it was but you can still buy a home for 300k here. Not sure about jobs you would have to reach out to schools.

working hard

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:32 am
Questions about Chicago:
What schools are available and what are they like? Do they have inclusion classrooms for girls?
Is there such a thing as government services there?
Are there any problems finding babysitters/playgroups...?
What kind of Jobs are available for the men?
Are there any nighttime/Shabbos programs for the boys.
Are there jobs for teachers/special educators there?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:22 am
working hard wrote:
Questions about Chicago:
What schools are available and what are they like? Do they have inclusion classrooms for girls?
Is there such a thing as government services there?
Are there any problems finding babysitters/playgroups...?
What kind of Jobs are available for the men?
Are there any nighttime/Shabbos programs for the boys.
Are there jobs for teachers/special educators there?

Schools range from MO Co Ed to RWMO single gender to Bais Yaakov with an affiliated yeshiva and a yiddish speaking cheder.

We have state health insurance called AllKids that a lot of families use. Then there are the same as anywhere else WIC/Snap etc.

Playgroups this coming year I dont know so much about. I know a few are not opening. Bais Yaakov is working on opening a 3 year old program. They have onsite childcare from infant to nursery age for anyone who works for the school. Rebbeim are allowed to use it too not just female teachers.

For jobs its a city like anywhere else. You said your husband is a rebbe we have had a lot of growth in that department over the years. There are a bunch of mestivas that have opened. Plus the elementary schools are growing like crazy.

My son goes to masmidim at the shul around the corner and really enjoys it.

For special ed. There is a new school opening called netivot. Also reach which provides sped services to the different schools, and the school resource rooms are always looking for people. I think the MO school was looking for a sped teacher at one point and the resource room at the chassidish school too.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:05 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
Jackson and Toms River are Suburban, yes. But NOT rural.
Rural is like West Virginia.

Lol they are mostly farms! So I take it you aren’t from around here lol.

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:30 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I agree with Hashem Yaazor we are in Chicago and we considered smaller communities and none could match what my kids get unless I wanted to send to public school.

I looked into moving to Chicago. A house is at least 600k, if you can find one, and tuition is at least $10,000 a kid. I don't think this is super affordable.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:33 pm
I get the impression if your coming to work for the schools/yeshivos there is access to cheaper housing. We get new rebbeim all the time and no way can a lot of them afford what a current house costs. I think people work it out. Tution they work with parents.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:37 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
The area's sound great. Prices is another story. Baltimore is not cheap. (If you are buying a home).

Compared to most cities it’s still on the lower end. Everywhere the market is nuts right now.
Try buying a house in lkwd for under a million today…

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:37 pm
Regarding cleveland, YDT is bursting at its seams and can't absorb too many new families. Nothing personal.
HAC is bigger and has a little more help for children with leaning issues.

Cleveland is NOT the place to move to for kids with disabilities. The frum schools are not equipped.
Many kids Sad are in public school'll

We need, I guess, what Chicago is creating

justforfun87

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:38 pm
Why do people keep saying Baltimore has good support for special needs? There are over 200 children in public school! A few diagnosis people have had luck with (Down syndrome) but Baltimore has not proven to be the place to move for special needs placement (behavioral issues, Autism)

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:12 pm
Quote:
Why do people keep saying Baltimore has good support for special needs? There are over 200 children in public school! A few diagnosis people have had luck with (Down syndrome) but Baltimore has not proven to be the place to move for special needs placement (behavioral issues, Autism)

There isn't a ton, but there is some in place. Jewel takes more than just kids with Downs Syndrome. There are some self contained classes in TA, BY and Bnos. It's not for everyone and every disability.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:14 pm
Special Frum Moms on Facebook has a lot of Baltimore mothers and it doesn't seem encouraging.

almost

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:18 pm
justforfun87 wrote:

Thank you! It's not so easy in Baltimore if you have a child with special needs, ESPECIALLY if it's a child who is straddling the fence between special needs and typically functioning. And it's hard to get the government to pay for services and the frum schools are going to charge for the inclusion classroom. In my experience, the schools determine your tuition obligation and then the cost for the inclusion classroom is added in on top of the tuition. And the inclusion classrooms only accept children with a specific issue, so your child might not be accepted.

Unfortunately there are still lots of children with various special needs in the public schools in Baltimore.

working hard

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:29 pm
Thanks again for all your help.

Based on your information and some phone calls, Baltimore seems like it is not going to work.

We are still looking into Chicago. Please let me know about specific neighborhoods and what they are like as well as if the houses are large enough for a family of 10.

working hard

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:07 pm
Does anyone know of a community that is actively looking for new larger families that would welcome us?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating