Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 year old wakes up early am, nausea and vomiting
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:30 am
What could this be? It's happened several times. Wakes up about 4 am complaining of nausea. This morning she vomited four times over a period of an hour of so. Otherwise she seems fine.

ETA: not consecutive nights. It's happened a week or two ago and a bit before that - I think minus the vomiting, just complaining of nausea - she's been perfectly fine in between. She does have a habit of waking up at 4 am, always did.

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:32 am
Honestly? I’d get a brain MRI and head CT. This could be a tumor.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:35 am
I would go to the doctor asap to run tests. Can be anything from food allergies to an obstruction to more serious things.

lovecouches

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:09 am
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
Honestly? I’d get a brain MRI and head CT. This could be a tumor.

This you should first rule out a tumor especially if it only happens in the morning

Rubies

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:11 am
lovecouches wrote:
This you should first rule out a tumor especially if it only happens in the morning

Why? What is the significance of it only happening in the morning?

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:14 am
Food intolerances or allergy.
Pandas
Fear/trauma/bad dreams
Liver issues.

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:14 am
Rubies wrote:

Increased pressure from lying down all night.

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:16 am
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Food intolerances or allergy.
Pandas
Fear/trauma/bad dreams
Liver issues.

Ever heard of the adage, “when you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras?”

happy chick

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:18 am
It's def good to rule out anything major, but it could also be something minor like reflux. Laying down exacerbated reflux, causes nausea and can also cause vomiting.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:19 am
Rubies wrote:

When my son was diagnosed with migraines, my pediatrician told me he worries about headaches/neurological symptoms when it wakes them up at night. I’d guess something about the lying flat position.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:24 am
amother [ DarkPurple ] wrote:
When my son was diagnosed with migraines, my pediatrician told me he worries about headaches/neurological symptoms when it wakes them up at night. I’d guess something about the lying flat position.

She doesn't complain of headaches. She's a normal happy and healthy child, generally. Now I'm panicking....

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:24 am
Please check with your doctor asap!

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She doesn't complain of headaches. She's a normal happy and healthy child, generally. Now I'm panicking....

Don’t panic. Just make a plan

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:34 am
Could just be some type of reflux thing going on.

lovecouches

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:50 am
Just take her to your doctor and ask for a head scan. Any gi will first make you do one to rule out a tumor or something. It doesn't mean that's what she has it just means it something that should be checked out. Then after that's bezrat Hashem ruled out then you continue checking things out.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:04 pm
This happens occasionally with my daughter, depending on what she eats before bed. We’ve discovered when she eats very heavy foods or certain types of foods for dinner, or right before bed, she’ll wake up early the next morning vomiting. She seems super sick and I keep her home from school, but she’s always 100% fine like an hour after. Try to keep a mental note of what your child ate on the days before these episodes happen.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:06 pm
lovecouches wrote:
Just take her to your doctor and ask for a head scan. Any gi will first make you do one to rule out a tumor or something. It doesn't mean that's what she has it just means it something that should be checked out. Then after that's bezrat Hashem ruled out then you continue checking things out.

Doesn't a scan have a lot of radiation? I would hate to expose her if it's something benign. I'll call the doctor....

amother
Clear

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:09 pm
MD here
So definitely have her checked out neurologically by your paediatrician. Just to be sure
It might be cyclic vomiting syndrome, it’s associated with Migraines and kids who develop migraines later in life sometimes have this.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Doesn't a scan have a lot of radiation? I would hate to expose her if it's something benign. I'll call the doctor....
not an MRI

amother
Aster

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:40 pm
Low blood sugar could be a cause. Is your child very skinny? My son is and when he was younger if he didn't eat enough at dinnertime he would wake up with nausea and vomiting in the middle of the night. Doctor prescribed bedtime snack and the issue resolved itself
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics