Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Substitute for Tuscanini Diced Tomatoes?

rosenbal

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:42 am
I'm using a recipe that calls for Tuscanini Diced Tomatoes. I'm under the impression that it's not the same thing as standard canned diced tomatoes which are basically diced tomato pieces in a watery liquid. The Tuscanini one is much thicker?? If I don't make it to the store (and not even sure that my OOT local store always carries it) what is a good substitute? I can mix things together - I have canned tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, whole peeled tomatoes (that I can dice) etc etc

Thanks!!

advocate

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:10 pm
I'm not familiar with this product but the only ingredients are tomatoes and tomato juice and salt.

If it were me, I'd probably just drain them and move on!

Hatzlacha!

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:45 pm
Just dice up fresh tomatoes.

watergirl

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:50 pm
When are recipes specifies a brand like this, it’s usually because it’s a sponsored recipe. The recipe author gets paid to recommend a specific brand. I also just left in a town without most things and these cookbooks with all the name brands used to actually trigger me (but only because I was so unhappy living so far removed).

Tuscanini is Gefen iirc. Kosher.com is sponsored in large by Gefen. If you take a recipe from that site or from anything else with that sponsorship, you will see that brand mentioned a lot.

You can literally just use another brand of the same item.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:12 pm
As others have said, this is just a sponsored product like if you got to Pillsbury and they say to use their flour.

Use your can of crushed tomatoes because that should be identical. I often get whole canned tomatoes and use them for sauces unless the recipe specifies tomato sauce or purée. I like to squash the tomatoes with my hands but if you are fastidious you can use a stick blender. 😂

Some Mexican style recipes use Rotelli which is seasoned so if the recipe specifies a rotelli style sauce you would need to use that or really adjust the seasonings in the original recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics