Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
House or Block

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:37 am
What would you choose if there is a nice house a few blocks away from the center of town a little less nice of a block or a nicer block but less nice house?

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:40 am
I would choose nicer house. And I have. And frum people eventually moved into our street and it filled up.

Any chance that would happen where you are looking?

srbmom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:40 am
Depends on yours and your kids personalities. We love our house but it's on the outskirts of our neighborhood and it's really lonely. If I had to do it all over again I'd move to a smaller/not as nice house closer to the middle of things. It's not even so far, but a kid will walk over to a friend one block away sooner than coming three more blocks to my house

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:46 am
It's also a stage in life. I love my quiet corner at this stage in life, and it's close enough for my youngest to go find out what's going on (ball game, etc..) on the next block which has more families with kids (my block is pretty quiet, two elderly couples, one family next door with teens).

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:48 am
I recently purchased a home on the outskirts. It was much bigger and a better value. The real estate agents kept asking if I was sure I wanted to live on that side, and that I'd have to walk my kids to people. Within a week of my closing, turns out two other families closed near me. One on my block, and another one directly across the street, which is further from the center. My house value went up right away and now that there are a few of us, it will fill up even quicker.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:54 am
I had to make this choice. I chose bigger house further out. I’m so happy with my decision. We love the house and hang out with our “neighbors” which include anyone on the blocks around us. It’s slightly less convenient than being on a great block in the center of everything but it has pluses too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:50 pm
Thank you! Anyone else?

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:52 pm
I chose better house too and do not regret it

amother
Heather

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:53 pm
I chose block. It is very important to me to have good neighbors and we sacrificed a little on the size of our house for it but I don't regret it for a minute.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:43 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
I recently purchased a home on the outskirts. It was much bigger and a better value. The real estate agents kept asking if I was sure I wanted to live on that side, and that I'd have to walk my kids to people. Within a week of my closing, turns out two other families closed near me. One on my block, and another one directly across the street, which is further from the center. My house value went up right away and now that there are a few of us, it will fill up even quicker.

I literally just got an alert from Zillow ten min ago that a house on my block is up for sale. It's owned by nonjews, but they listed it with a frum realtor. No doubt a jew will grab it. Now I feel even more confident in my choice.

One caveat though- if it's not a growing neighborhood, I'd go for the center. But as long as your community is growing, grab the big house.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:47 pm
I live in a small run down house.
Wouldn’t change it for anything.
My children have a solid set of down to earth simple friends. I see how their friends, shul, neighborhood adults have shaped them.

Also tor tween and teen boys it’s important to have easily accessible minyanim and beis medrish and chavrusas.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:27 pm
We picked block over house over 20 years ago and are happy with how our children turned out, BH! They benefited from having simple down to earth neighbors and minimal gashmius pressure.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 6:35 pm
I chose house (edited, before I wrote block by mistake) and while I can’t say that I regret it, it’s really hard for me and my kids. However we didn’t have a choice bec on the busy happening blocks where I live, the houses are much smaller.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:40 pm
Really a pretty even split between the two choices!

amother
Sand

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:52 pm
I chose house and I regret it. I thought it would become a block but it didn’t. I look a block over and even though it’s so close it’s just not the same as my friends who can sit on a porch and shmooz with a neighbor and who’s kids don’t have to cross the street to play. I wish I had waited for a better block.
I live in a growing community and bought many years ago and thought for sure houses on my block would turn Jewish but my non Jewish neighbours just aren’t selling like they are on other blocks in town.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating