Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Postpartum meal delivery I'll never forget (positive)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Blessing1

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:13 pm
The meal I remember most is after my 2nd baby, over 10 years ago, I was supposed to get dinners for a week. When the meal didn't arrive, we go take out. Later at night, the organizer called to make sure we got the food. I told her we didn't get it, she apologized profusely and said how bad she felt. Next thing I know, she's knocking on our door with fresh salmon and mashed potatoes that she made for her family that night! I was so blown away, I'll never forget it.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:21 pm
I had one of those stories too and 20 years later I haven't forgotten it. My first baby was born 8 adar and obviously I wasn't up to doing much purim. Someone I knew -but not very well- called me several days before purim and said "your shalach manos this year is going to be purim seuda. What would you enjoy?" I was really in the mood for clean,healthy food so she made me a bunch of salads and grilled chicken cutlets plus a healthy vegetable soup. It was PERFECT in every way. If you are reading, I never forgot it!

naomi2

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:22 pm
The most memorable postpartum meal I received was when a neighbor dropped off a rotisserie chicken and two takeout sides in containers and he started apologizing that his wife forgot to make the meal so he quickly picked up dinner from the supermarket takeout. And I remember feeling surprised that he was apologizing and then sad that he felt embarrassed. The supper was delicious, nutritious, and warm.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:35 pm
One of my friends sent me a beautiful bakery basket at the hospital since I was there for a number of days after a c-section. It also gave me something to share with my visitors. When I got home, the community sent meals for three weeks. It was the nicest feeling and even though my MIL was running my house and she is the ultimate balabusta, she had her hands full with older children, helping with the baby post bris, and me recovering from the c-section. It was greatly appreciated.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:38 am
This is such a heartwarming thread - thank you OP!

I had an early miscarriage. A friend of mine said she was sending food and I insisted I didn't need it, was fine to cook yada yada yada. She (multiple miscarriage survivor) told me to freeze it for the day she knew would come when I wouldn't feel like cooking.

That day came 😔

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:42 am
I live very far from any kosher pizza shop.

A friend whose husband makes incredible pizza sent me over 3 fresh pies in pizza boxes, plus a big bag of peanut butter cookies.

I gave all the kids one slice and hid the rest in the freezer for me! It was such a wonderful and appreciated meal for that day, and I enjoyed it for many days afterwards too!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:04 am
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
Not to negate your friends generosity, but When I send suppers I send all that plus a chicken/fish and a potato side. It’s extremely nice of her but honestly, it’s not tons of food for a postpartum nursing mother. Unless it was meant to be lunch/snack and not supper

HUh? I wanna come to you for dinner You must make more than what OPs friend made.
I would think zucchini soup, the pan of ziti, a pan of undressed salad, a container of cut up fruit, a plate of brownies is a full seuda..

what do you make your family every night?

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:27 am
I appreciate very much any meal that someone sends but the one that stands out was a lovely appetizer (can't remember what), soup, ziti, salad, side, yummy cookies and beautiful napkins, plates, disposable silverware, water bottles. It was soooo nice.
That is my measuring stick for meals that I make and I must admit it puts me off sometimes from doing the mitzva thinking if I don't have the time or headspace for a beautiful meal, don't do it at all. Something I've got to work on.
I try to send about the same and it takes hours and hours. But I feel so good if/when they say that they and any older kids enjoyed.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:30 am
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
Not to negate your friends generosity, but When I send suppers I send all that plus a chicken/fish and a potato side. It’s extremely nice of her but honestly, it’s not tons of food for a postpartum nursing mother. Unless it was meant to be lunch/snack and not supper

Seriously it’s beyond fine!!! It’s delicious hearty meal that she loved she was starved

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:33 am
I’ve gotten many meals after a baby, some we loved some we didn’t we always ate it. Some I had to go take from a car some my husband had to pick up all was appreciated. My husband who’s a picky eater would buy himself a sandwich or skip supper which is a usual for him.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:06 am
I recently had a baby and a meal train was set up. I appreciated everything but one that stands out does so bec of who sent it. I moved to my neighborhood fairly recently and don’t know many people. This neighbor and I have met and when she had a baby I sent over zucchini soup, meatballs, brown rice for the adults, kid friendly rice , salad and cookies plus cutlery plates and cups. Her husband delivered the most delicious chicken broccoli and potato one pan dinner. No, my kids didn’t touch it. They had pizza and were perfectly fine. My husband and I enjoyed it and I make it now for us for dinner bec we loved it so much!
I know that this neighbor went out of the way to do this. She is very overwhelmed with her family and wanted to give. And that’s what meant so much.
When I make meals for people I aim to do it for Monday night so I can prepare on sundays. I do the best I can to make it less stressful for me. As someone who has been on the receiving end I am so appreciative of every single dinner we’ve gotten! And I aim to give back as best as I can.
Thank you to all the amazing mothers who do this chessed!! May we all be zoche to be in the giving end! End the receiving end for simchos only!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:12 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
I recently had a baby and a meal train was set up. I appreciated everything but one that stands out does so bec of who sent it. I moved to my neighborhood fairly recently and don’t know many people. This neighbor and I have met and when she had a baby I sent over zucchini soup, meatballs, brown rice for the adults, kid friendly rice , salad and cookies plus cutlery plates and cups. Her husband delivered the most delicious chicken broccoli and potato one pan dinner. No, my kids didn’t touch it. They had pizza and were perfectly fine. My husband and I enjoyed it and I make it now for us for dinner bec we loved it so much!
I know that this neighbor went out of the way to do this. She is very overwhelmed with her family and wanted to give. And that’s what meant so much.
When I make meals for people I aim to do it for Monday night so I can prepare on sundays. I do the best I can to make it less stressful for me. As someone who has been on the receiving end I am so appreciative of every single dinner we’ve gotten! And I aim to give back as best as I can.
Thank you to all the amazing mothers who do this chessed!! May we all be zoche to be in the giving end! End the receiving end for simchos only!

Can you post that chicken recipe? It sounds delicious!

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:32 pm
By me it was a plate of fresh hot kugel erev shabbes. I had my 3rd child when my oldest was 3.5 I had zero help because my family went through a terrible rough time. So here I am exhausted after bathing everyone and its finally finally quiet when in walks my neighbor with a plate of hot kugel. Its 11 years later and I still feel that taste in my mouth. It's the small things that counts

keym

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 12:40 pm
The day I went back to work with my 4th, I came home to find fresh bagels, tuna, egg salad, Israeli salad and cream cheese at my door from my neighbor.
I cried.

mig100

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:31 pm
Ill never forget the meals I got after I moved to another city. I was beyond overwhlemed with the move and had some little ones including a young infant.

we spent a whole day cleaning up my old apartment. Then driving to the new city. We were hoping to unpack. By the time we got there I was too exhuasted to do anything. A relative met me as we were pulling up lot with a box of food

I ignored all the boxes and ate the food.I dont know how I would have survived otherwise. I hope she reads this.

Another came the next day. She said she would just visit and brought a pan of chicken and potates. The place was still covered in boxes. At least we had some food.

Another came also with supper.Then she watched my baby for a few minutes and I laid down.

People are incredible for their thoughtfulness.

I will be forever grateful

exhausted

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 1:47 pm
What a beautiful thread on a day like today!! May everyone always be on the giving end in good health!!!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:16 pm
This is such a beautiful thread!

I recently had a stillborn and the amount of people who sent things over was mind boggling and so heart warming!! I have a bit of a complicated diet but so so many people worked so hard to accommodate and make things I could eat… and that’s besides the lunches and treats etc that people dropped off. Made me feel so loved and was a tremendous help.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:29 pm
After my last baby, a friend sent over a deliciously plentiful, kid and adult friendly meal. The most amazing meatballs, yummy potatoes, delicious pasta for the kids, an incredible salad and a dessert. I got a few meals delivered after birth but this was so plentiful and so delicious I cried while I served it, it was just so special.

After another one of my baby's I was chatting with a friend and mentioned how I was craving a specific homemade baked good and we laughed at how random it was. The next morning she sent over a dozen of that treat, fresh homemade. It was so thoughtful

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:37 pm
Our son was in the Nicu for the first two weeks

Our community, cherry hill, went out of their way to make everything hospital friendly - plates, utensils, disposable dishes, travel sized games

We had been in mother baby and were planning to be home for Shabbas. When we transferred to the Nicu there went our shalom zachor plans. The community send everything like chips, cookies, chickpeas even, Twizzlers, and a giant sushi platter. We had a whole party with the nurses!

People went above and beyond to drive the 20 minutes there and back. A lot of people sent chocolate and drinks.

Felt very cared for!
Blessed to live here!

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:04 pm
deleted
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette