Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Info on the name Sultana?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:36 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Some older names are making a comeback ; think Saidie or Saydie. That is an old, old name, yet I know at least 4 saidies under 15 years old!

Yes, even in the non Jewish world. I work in a public school with at least 2 or 3 Sadie's under the age of 10 the past couple of years. Upper middle class families on the cutting edge when it comes to name trends.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:21 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Some older names are making a comeback ; think Saidie or Saydie. That is an old, old name, yet I know at least 4 saidies under 15 years old!

I think this is true only up to a point where the older names had no negative connotation but were just considered to be "older" but were still elegant.

For example, my great grandmother was named Channa/Hannah and I was named after her. However my parents thought it was an old fashioned name and so they gave me an English name that begins with H - ironically Hannah became super trendy in the 1980's and my once popular English name is considered suitable only for old ladies. LOL

I think names like Bertha and Ethel are never going to be popular again whereas names like Charlotte, Abigail, Beatrice, Bella are "vintage" rather than dowdy and becoming more popular again.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 7:30 pm
I wouldn't be shocked if Bertha and Ethel made a comeback.
Other "old lady" names I've come across at my school include names like Harriet, Prudence, and Virginia. Can't think of more off the top of my head but it's not just the pretty feminine ones that are coming back in style!
For boys, I know kids with the names Silas, Asa, and Jehiel, which are not just vintage but pre 20th century vintage type Cool

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:14 pm
It makes me think of Hurem Sultana. But only because I watched a documentary about her and the other concubines of Sultan Suleiman TMI

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:54 pm
Sadie is such a pretty name!

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 11:55 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
I wouldn't be shocked if Bertha and Ethel made a comeback.
Other "old lady" names I've come across at my school include names like Harriet, Prudence, and Virginia. Can't think of more off the top of my head but it's not just the pretty feminine ones that are coming back in style!
For boys, I know kids with the names Silas, Asa, and Jehiel, which are not just vintage but pre 20th century vintage type Cool

A ton of women my mother's age are Denise, now it's not common but in 30 years from now it might be a popular baby name again, with girls named after all those grandmothers.

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:45 pm
To me, Sultana sounds very regal and exotic.
But - depending on your community and environment - your daughter might be very uncomfortable with that name.
If it were me, I'd give a Hebrew name related to it in meaning, such as Atara or Ateret (both of which mean crown), especially if you want something more unusual than Malka.
Then you can give Sultana as a middle name, if you feel like it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names