Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How can I tell when my baby is hungry - Update
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:16 pm
My baby is 5 weeks old and has been colicky for the last 2 weeks or so. Before that if he started crying at about 2.5-3.5 hours I would feed him. But now he is crying all the time for a huge chunk of the night so how do I know when he's hungry???

when he nurses he is calm but as soon as he's done he starts again.

As an aside I would love any colic tips!!!

naomi2

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:57 pm
Burp him after every 2 oz. Keep him upright for 20 min after feeding. If you are nursing, cut out dairy. If you giving formula, try a more soothing one.

crema

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:15 pm
Do you know how to swaddle your baby?

crema

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:19 pm
Also, if you are nursing, try to avoid garlic and onions. That is what my midwife recommended to prevent colic. She also recommended avoiding caffeine.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 3:32 pm
He maybe hungry more frequently. My baby is 2 months old and I nurse her every hour and a half. I count an hour and a half from the time that I started nursing her. Also baby sometimes go through growth spurts and need to eat more often.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:00 pm
crema wrote:
Do you know how to swaddle your baby?

He hates being swaddled and works his arms free as soon as he can

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:01 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Burp him after every 2 oz. Keep him upright for 20 min after feeding. If you are nursing, cut out dairy. If you giving formula, try a more soothing one.

I'll try cutting out dairy thanks

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:02 pm
crema wrote:
Also, if you are nursing, try to avoid garlic and onions. That is what my midwife recommended to prevent colic. She also recommended avoiding caffeine.

I'm already off caffeine, will try garlic and onions though that will be hard to avoid

dena613

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He hates being swaddled and works his arms free as soon as he can

Then he isn't swaddled well

RevitalizedMom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:05 pm
If you keep your baby on a routine then it’s easier to tell what their crying might be related to.
I’d recommend the EASY routine by the Baby Whisperer.

But generally babies will root (turn their mouth to find a nipple) when they’re hungry or suck their hand… and a late sign is crying.

dena613

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:05 pm
I had a baby that needed two rounds of burping.
So after feeding, burp. And then burp again a few minutes later.

Maybe try that for your baby

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:13 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
He maybe hungry more frequently. My baby is 2 months old and I nurse her every hour and a half. I count an hour and a half from the time that I started nursing her. Also baby sometimes go through growth spurts and need to eat more often.

When I feed him sooner he usually barely nurses.. But occasionally he really is hungry and will take then. That's what confuses me because if he actually is hungry then I want to give him. But if he's not then he'll end up kind of "snacking" and getting even more overtired.

What he does now, he cries from about 10-3 at which point he'll settle in for sleeping and get a few couple hour stretches... When he's not hungry and I offer he ends up not getting in any good feedings and doesn't end up sleeping as much as he usually does. And at that point of the night me and my dh are just about falling apart so I really need him to sleep

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:14 pm
LeeR wrote:
If you keep your baby on a routine then it’s easier to tell what their crying might be related to.

But generally babies will root (turn their mouth to find a nipple) when they’re hungry or suck their hand… and a late sign is crying.

YES this is an amazing method not strict I followed it with my baby from day one and bH she’s really on a routine at 5 months

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:15 pm
LeeR wrote:

What is the routine? Is it a book to read or another way I could learn?

When he's crying desperately at night all he does is scream and scream and he doesn't root really

And he starts crying again as soon as he's done nursing

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:16 pm
dena613 wrote:
I had a baby that needed two rounds of burping.
So after feeding, burp. And then burp again a few minutes later.

Maybe try that for your baby

I'll try that thank you!!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:42 pm
EASY routine:
Eat
Activity
Sleep
You

Google for more info. You don’t need to read the book.
Main point is that in between eating and sleeping should be some activity time. Not during the night though.

Many different sleep methods use the EASY routine.

RevitalizedMom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is the routine? Is it a book to read or another way I could learn?

When he's crying desperately at night all he does is scream and scream and he doesn't root really

And he starts crying again as soon as he's done nursing

You can get the book or you can just look up the EASY routine. Basically it’s Eat, Activity, Sleep, You (time for you).

So if you keep baby on this routine you know what they’re always up to. So if they cry while playing it’s most likely cuz they’re tired. If they cry when they wake up it’s probably cuz they’re hungry… that’s the gist of it.

RevitalizedMom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:44 pm
If baby cries right after feed I’d assume it’s gas or he didn’t get enough. When breastfeeding it’s hard to tell if they ate enough. So what I do is try to burp and then offer breast again.
It’s not easy. I have a 4 week old who is also quite colicky. Cries and lot and doesn’t settle to sleep, and takes forever to burp.

It’s rough. I just remind myself that they’re new to the world, they’re learning and this stage will pass.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:45 pm
LeeR wrote:
You can get the book or you can just look up the EASY routine. Basically it’s Eat, Activity, Sleep, You (time for you).

So if you keep baby on this routine you know what they’re always up to. So if they cry while playing it’s most likely cuz they’re tired. If they cry when they wake up it’s probably cuz they’re hungry… that’s the gist of it.

Got it thanks!! So at his age he doesn't do much... So hold him/ talk/ sing etc for activity? What if he's already crying from after eating?

ETA actually read post above... second question doesn't apply because he only cries after feeding at night when you wouldn't do an activity

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:47 pm
LeeR wrote:
If baby cries right after feed I’d assume it’s gas or he didn’t get enough. When breastfeeding it’s hard to tell if they ate enough. So what I do is try to burp and then offer breast again.
It’s not easy. I have a 4 week old who is also quite colicky. Cries and lot and doesn’t settle to sleep, and takes forever to burp.

It’s rough. I just remind myself that they’re new to the world, they’re learning and this stage will pass.

Mine also takes a long time to burp.. I'll try to offer again after burping that's a good idea.

Thanks for the advice/ encouragement!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics