Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How can I tell when my baby is hungry - Update
Previous  1  2

Zehava

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:59 pm
Is he pooping regularly? I thought my oldest was terribly colicky but in hindsight I think she was constipated. I now give my other babies reguline and if they ever get constipated again they are constantly crying.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:00 pm
Zehava wrote:
Is he pooping regularly? I thought my oldest was terribly colicky but in hindsight I think she was constipated. I now give my other babies reguline and if they ever get constipated again they are constantly crying.

Yes having plenty of dirty diapers

Zehava

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes having plenty of dirty diapers

Try treating the reflux then, and adjusting your diet. Just some ideas. It’s very hard, but it does pass. Hang in there!

riseandshine

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:06 pm
It sounds like an acid reflux I had two kids like that I went off dairy and eggs and it got better it does pass ot sounds like it's peaking now should get better soon

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:08 pm
Zehava wrote:
Try treating the reflux then, and adjusting your diet. Just some ideas. It’s very hard, but it does pass. Hang in there!

Thank you!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:08 pm
riseandshine wrote:
It sounds like an acid reflux I had two kids like that I went off dairy and eggs and it got better it does pass ot sounds like it's peaking now should get better soon

Thanks for your input

Should I try to cut all these things out at once or one at a time? (Dairy, eggs, onions, garlic...)

RevitalizedMom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mine also takes a long time to burp.. I'll try to offer again after burping that's a good idea.

Thanks for the advice/ encouragement!!

Activity for a newborn could be tummy time or just laying on the floor with toys above him. Or jus holding him and smiling/talking to him… nothing major. He just shouldn’t be eating or sleeping.

And at night no activity! Also, try to not let your baby be awake for more than 45 min at a time including eating time.

How long does it take him to eat? Does he fall asleep on the breast ever? And is he possibly overtired?

RevitalizedMom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:22 pm
riseandshine wrote:

Don’t babies with reflux spit up a lot?
OP, is your baby spitting up a lot?

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:25 pm
Just offer it all the time. Nurse when baby wakes, burp, nurse to put to sleep. Until 3 months they go through several growth spurts so they'll nurse all the time. Make sure to rest and drink plenty of water.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:10 pm
LeeR wrote:
Activity for a newborn could be tummy time or just laying on the floor with toys above him. Or jus holding him and smiling/talking to him… nothing major. He just shouldn’t be eating or sleeping.

And at night no activity! Also, try to not let your baby be awake for more than 45 min at a time including eating time.

How long does it take him to eat? Does he fall asleep on the breast ever? And is he possibly overtired?

It takes him about 25-30 to eat, sometimes he gets a bit sleepy but doesn't actually fall asleep while nursing.

So nursing 25 min, burping 10 min, then activity 10 min?

Could be he's overtired... How would I know?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:11 pm
LeeR wrote:
Don’t babies with reflux spit up a lot?
OP, is your baby spitting up a lot?

No he doesn't spit up so much.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:32 pm
Activity for a newborn can be part of the feed or burping depending on how long they eat/ burp for and keeping them up longer might make them overtired

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:40 pm
LeeR wrote:
If you keep your baby on a routine then it’s easier to tell what their crying might be related to.
I’d recommend the EASY routine by the Baby Whisperer.

But generally babies will root (turn their mouth to find a nipple) when they’re hungry or suck their hand… and a late sign is crying.

Don’t follow the baby whisperer , she is very scheduled and old school and says you should wait four hours in between feeds.

Swaddle if your baby likes it and don’t swaddle if your baby doesn’t like it. You can also swaddle and just leave out the hands.

Cut out dairy! Biggest culprit for colic

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I feed him sooner he usually barely nurses.. But occasionally he really is hungry and will take then. That's what confuses me because if he actually is hungry then I want to give him. But if he's not then he'll end up kind of "snacking" and getting even more overtired.

What he does now, he cries from about 10-3 at which point he'll settle in for sleeping and get a few couple hour stretches... When he's not hungry and I offer he ends up not getting in any good feedings and doesn't end up sleeping as much as he usually does. And at that point of the night me and my dh are just about falling apart so I really need him to sleep

It’s totally ok and good for a baby to “snack” and nurse for comfort. There is nothing wrong with that and everything right with that. He is newborn, sleep isn’t in abundance at that stage unfortunately.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:47 pm
LeeR wrote:
You can get the book or you can just look up the EASY routine. Basically it’s Eat, Activity, Sleep, You (time for you).

So if you keep baby on this routine you know what they’re always up to. So if they cry while playing it’s most likely cuz they’re tired. If they cry when they wake up it’s probably cuz they’re hungry… that’s the gist of it.

But…. Babies aren’t robots they are people who some times want to eat a bit more even if nots the official time yet. Sometimes they are tired when they shouldn’t officially be tired…

OP, look at your baby and follow your babies cues. And demand feed your baby. Sounds like your baby is uncomfortable and probably the quickest fix would be to get off dairy. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:01 am
Wanted to update with what helped my baby. BH much happier and even sleeping through the night sometimes.

a) Went off dairy - huge improvement. Thanks everyone
b) Baby really was overtired. Got better at watching for cues and putting down for a nap at the right moment
c) My pediatrician recommended probiotics. This helped a ton!!!

SG18

Post Tue, Jun 21 2022, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wanted to update with what helped my baby. BH much happier and even sleeping through the night sometimes.

a) Went off dairy - huge improvement. Thanks everyone
b) Baby really was overtired. Got better at watching for cues and putting down for a nap at the right moment
c) My pediatrician recommended probiotics. This helped a ton!!!

So great that you've seen improvements!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics