Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tethered cord-line and dimple lower back, mri

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 12:54 pm
Anyone else have experience with a possible tethered cord. Baby 9 months old and going to a neurosurgeon to rule out. Baby will probally need an mri and be put out. Anyone have experience with either? Freaking out

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 1:45 pm
Three of my kids have the dimple. BH they are all okay. Regarding being put to sleep, I’ve had a few kids put to sleep as young infants, 1 month, 2 months and one at 9 months. BH they all did well with the anesthesia. Hope your baby is okay.

mom234

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 1:51 pm
My daughter has it. They did a sono when she was a newborn in the hospital and made me do a follow up at 3 months. Thankfully it wasn’t tethered. I did read it is a sign of MTHFR gene (many people have it)
Typically if the baby is crawling standing it isn’t tethered.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 1:53 pm
Not sure how it was missed but they only noticed it at her 9 month apt. She is just starting to crawl but was always a little weak in her hips. Davening it’s nothing. The wait between apts can drive you insane

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 11:44 am
hi. my daughter had the dimple and it actually was a tethered cord. she had surgery to release it and bh she is fine now

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 12:13 pm
Oh wow. Would you be able to tell me more about the surgery. How old was she and any lasting side effects? Thank you so much for your response

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 7:12 pm
Are you referring to a sacral dimple?
I havr kne although I didnt know what it was until fairly recently. (It was never in the anatomy diagrams in school 🤷🏼‍♂️)
My baby has it, although no dr ever pointed it out to me or discussed it with me.

Are there risks involved?! What are they?

I was under the impression that it's just cosmetic.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 7:59 pm
My baby has an asymmetrical line also as well as the indentation low down into her diaper area. Plus a little weaker so they want me to get it checked out.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 8:32 pm
My 8 month old daughter was born without any dimples, but the line of her spine and the crack in her cute little behind don't match up, they kind of zig-zag. We were sent for a sonogram at 4 weeks old; thankfully they didn't find any internal issues and ruled it a normal variant. Still, at every well checkup our pediatrician pays close attention to the development of her hips and legs. So far so good!

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 8:42 pm
My daughter had a tethered cord but was closely monitored and it released itself. They said it was mild and in some cases this happens. She was very late with all her gross motor milestones but is 11 now and you’d never know. She had an MRI at a year when the neurologist suspected that was causing her delays.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 9:47 pm
My son has a sacral dimple. Bh all ok but he did need a sonogram as a newborn.
No mri though.
Hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 10:14 pm
She’s 9 months old my daughter. She’s been seen by 3 different doctors in the practice. I don’t know how the dimple was missed when they all checked her there by her well visits. So upsetting because it could of been an ultrasound when she was little had it been found earlier. Crying

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 12:04 pm
im the poster who said that my daughter had surgery. I dont remember it being a difficult surgery but she did have to lay flat on her back for a few days post op. she had it done when she was around 3 I think and shes 14 now so dont rememebr all the details. hatzlacha!

accountantmommy

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:29 pm
My ds 5 weeks old has tethered cord. Hes iyH having the surgery at 3 months

accountantmommy

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh wow. Would you be able to tell me more about the surgery. How old was she and any lasting side effects? Thank you so much for your response

Our neurosurgeon said basically there are side effects if you dont do the surgery, but not major side effects if you do. He said its like getting a tounge tie snipped bit in the spine. My baby will have to lie flat 2 weeks post op

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:05 pm
mom234 wrote:
My daughter has it. They did a sono when she was a newborn in the hospital and made me do a follow up at 3 months. Thankfully it wasn’t tethered. I did read it is a sign of MTHFR gene (many people have it)
Typically if the baby is crawling standing it isn’t tethered.

What is the MTHFR gene ?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:25 pm
Are they implying having a midline defect (which this is) means the baby has MTHFR or that the mother does (which I've heard as a theory for years) and needs methylated folate vs folic acid to help against these? (60% of the population has it so it's very likely both could but I heard it more as a problem during early development in the womb based on the mother's resources)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics