Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Overwhelmed with idea of cooking milchigs
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
On Y"T borer does not apply when it comes to food. As an aside all cooking utensils and measuring instruments are allowed to be used on Yom Tov as well.

From my understanding that is true to an extent.

A utensil used for mass borer (processing significant quantities, more than usually used in one day) may be prohibited for use on Yom Tov.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:32 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:

A utensil used for mass borer (processing significant quantities, more than usually used in one day) may be prohibited for use on Yom Tov.

Straining the pasta for a Y"T meal is allowed in preparation for the meal on Y"T. Even if there are leftovers. Feel free to follow your own rav's guidance.

amf

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:40 pm
The Dinner Done cookbook has a bunch of easy dairy ideas. There's a really good one-pot fettuccine Alfredo you can do (no straining, basically put everything in the pot and let it cook, it comes out yum!), cauliflower poutine as a side, a simple salad with feta or parmesan, and cheesecake for dessert. Appetizer can be ambrosia, fruit salad, or fish (Kani salad is easy, or a salmon dish)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:32 pm

Most people don't drain pasta in quantities like that.

Foods which are normally not separated in large quantities and are usually eaten right after they are separated may be separated on Yom Tov without a utensil that’s designated for separating.[1] However, foods which couldn’t have been separated before Yom Tov and it’s not usually separated in large quantities may be separated on Yom Tov even with a utensil designated for separation. For example, it’s permissible to strain noodles from the water even using a strainer. [2]
https://halachipedia.com/index.....m_Tov
The source is Shemiras Shabbos K'hilchasa 4:6

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:43 pm

I believe the key word here is utensil .
I do not use a peeler on Shabbos . (Many do)
I asked about using it on YT and was told that I may not because it is a kli sheasuy lekach.
A utensil specifically made for that purpose, I’m surmising that a collander would fall under that category.
Not sure now, as per ra_mom’s post , will ask sheila. Would sure be convenient !

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:45 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
I asked about using it on YT and was told that I may not because it is a kli sheasuy lekach.
A utensil specifically made for that purpose, I’m surmising that a collander would fall under that category.
Not sure now, as per ra_mom’s post , will ask sheila. Would sure be convenient !

Very interesting. My IL who doesn't use a peeler on shabbos, does use one on Y"T.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:55 pm
https://betweencarpools.com/th.....rmet/

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:03 pm
amf wrote:
The Dinner Done cookbook has a bunch of easy dairy ideas. There's a really good one-pot fettuccine Alfredo you can do (no straining, basically put everything in the pot and let it cook, it comes out yum!), cauliflower poutine as a side, a simple salad with feta or parmesan, and cheesecake for dessert. Appetizer can be ambrosia, fruit salad, or fish (Kani salad is easy, or a salmon dish)

Can you post the fettuccine alfredo?

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:04 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:

We do use peelers on Yom Tov, because it is not common to peel huge quantities of vegetables for preserving - the peels help preserve the vegetables.

But I know not every halachic authority agrees.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:29 pm
We do use peelers on Yom Tov, because it is not common to peel huge quantities of vegetables for preserving - the peels help preserve the vegetables.

But I know not every halachic authority agrees.

Yup , used one as a single , hubby thought otherwise . Asked sheila. Oh , well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:39 am
Cheese latkes
Broccolli soup with melted cheese
Cheese balls
Cheese tortellini
Ravioli with sauce
Cheese kreplach
Spinach with cheese
Spiral pasta mixed with sauteed california veggies & melted cheese
Ice cream or icecream cheese cake
Mozarella sticks
Dairy Mousse cups
Pudding
Letcho with eggs & cheese
Stirfry veg with melted cheese
Salad with shredded two toned cheddar cheese
Ceasar salad with grated parmesan cheese ( need to wait 6 hrs till fleishig)
Saute'ed zucchini with melted cheese
Dairy Mashed potatoes with sour cream
Macaroni with cottage cheese
Cantaloupe with cottage cheese
Cream cheese & lox bagels
Pasta (macaroni) with pizza sauce & melted cheese stove top
All these can be done on stove top, or dont require cooking/baking, most can be frozen as well.

Pareve
Fishballs in tomato sauce with peas & carrots
Sushi or kani salad
Avocado salad
Cut up veggies with dressing
Seared salmon
Tuna patties
Fried breaded flounder or tilapia
Fish sticks

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:47 am
Layered letcho with sauteed cubed zucchini with onions, cubed potatoes on top, top with cherry tomatoes & melted cheese, on stove top, dont mix. Add spicing.

Yogurt/fruit/granola cups
Farina
Dairy filling for ready rolled cannolis, ends dipped in choco & nut crunch.
Blintz pie
Mashed potatoes with melted cheese
Poutine
Yogurt fruit smoothie
Blueberries or strawberries mixed with sour cream or yogurt with sugar.
Hungarian cheese salad

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:52 am
dankbar, what is Hungarian cheese salad?

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:52 am
You can also put little bites out like crackers with scallion cream cheese, garlic butter, maybe a little lox, with chives to decorate.

Pareve
Mushroom egg salad
Mock liver
Tuna salad

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 12:54 am
ra_mom wrote:
dankbar, what is Hungarian cheese salad?

Farmer cheese mixed with sour cream add lots of paprika spice and other spices you like, like pepper/garlic powder. You can also add scallions or purple onions. Eat with melba toast or crackers

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:00 am
You can also do fish platters like older style smoked fish, whitefish salad, lox, sable etc
Or newer style with seared fish, pepper crusted, raw & cooked on wooden board. They sell ready in stores now or you can make your own.
You can also buy ready cheese boards

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:01 am
Thanks!

dankbar

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:06 am
You can buy frozen blintzes & decorate it to make it look pretty chocolate syrup, swirls of sour cream, berries or other fruit, caramel sauce/ strawberry sauce put in a pipette & stick it inside.

You can do pancakes or crepes in your frying pan, or buy ready frozen & reheat in sterno. Crepes you can present in a fancy way folded over in triangular shape with cream & berries or syrup

creditcards

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:13 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
I asked a shaylah about my oven that was still warm from cooking meat and asked if I could cook milchigs in it. He said sure, just not at the same time.

He’s a pretty strict Rav. Insists on faucet filters and strainers on Pesach, no warming drawers on shabbos, etc.

He said nobody ever used to have two ovens this is a recent invention. He said it’s better to have two microwaves and one oven than the reverse.

True, nobody had two ovens but they would kasher the Fleishig oven before using it for milchigs. My parents had just one oven. We kashered it every year before shavuos to make cheesecake. It's very simple to kasher. Clean the oven well. Wait 24 hours and then put on the oven on the highest temperature for a certain amount of time. I think a half hour and it's kashered.

Microwave is very hard to kasher. There are tiny holes that's impossible to clean. That's why it's better to have 2 microwaves.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 20 2022, 1:28 am
Kasher the oven, cook milchigs, and then go back to fleishigs. Reheat your milchigs food double wrapped.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics